Thread: I been looking for a Therapist...

I been looking for a Therapist...

I'm having a difficult time feeling comfortable being questioned by a male therapist, why am I being so picky? Should I be looking for therapist or counselor or what?
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

Aspiring Member
    You won't get much good out of talking to a therapist that you aren't comfortable talking to.
    If you aren't comfortable talking to a male therapist, then you MUST find a female one.

Banned Read only
    Talking to a therapist can be like talking to your mother or father about sex. If you are not comfortable talking to them find someone you can talk with. Just remember, they are not there to judge but to help you through the difficult parts.

Good response from Jorja ... and here's my add-on. A well-trained counselor is not likely to be shocked by anything you reveal. People need help with all kinds of troublesome problems, so counselors have already heard just about everything--probably way beyond anything you would have to say.

Totally agree that you need to be comfortable with your therapist or you will get nothing out of it. My therapist is female and I don't think I would be comfortable with a male therapist.

Research strongly supports what everyone is saying here - therapy is next to useless if you don't have a strong relationship with your therapist. Shop around until you find someone you like. Some therapists will even offer a free initial consultation so you can get a feel for how you would work together - doesn't hurt to ask.

Thank you all... I am finding a bit of difficulty finding someone near me.

You may want to check the Psychology Today website. They show therapists and their specialties. Finding someone who deals with gender issues is one of the categories. I remember when I first met with my therapist I went as Jane Doe for the first couple sessions. She specialized in TG issues and I was in drab. It took a while but I am so glad I invested the time and money. Good luck.

skype or other distance media now allows you to have a therapist anywhere in the world, by voice or by video or by text. I'd recommend using something avoiding face-to-face contact initially, as there's no reason why the therapist cannot help you at distance.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Thank you Pamela.

Silver Member
    I could never talk about this to a male therapist but fortunately most therapists are female. You should be able to make such a request. Good Luck the effort to find a good match is worth the time and $$$.

I am also thinking of going to a therapist looking for a female as I have always been more comfortable talking to women

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    our local Pride Center has a listing of professional counselors with experince in the world of gender. You may want to see if there is a group near you that has gone through that process. It would make your sorting a much smaller task.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Thanks for the replys.