Thread: My Real RLT begins today

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar

My Real RLT begins today

As some of you know I've been living as Jennifer for quite some time locally where I live. I'm mostly anomous there which to some degree has made transitioning very easy. Last week was my official emergence took place at work with overwhelming support. This week I've relocated to my childhood home and begin a summer locally happily in my skin. If there are going to be any situations of discomfort or issues with acceptance they are going to happen very quickly over the next couple of weeks. Its a small town with quite a mix of generational up bringing. Small town conservative, aging population, yuppy transplants from the city looking for a slower pace, and upper crust who summer here as a retreat on the coast. I've know EVERYONE for ever, been a local contributing resident over the summers with the Yacht club and youth programs along with inshore rescue and the active patron of our local live theater.

So the news of my transition will likely be quite a surprise to all as I've been quite an expert at hiding and masking my inner feelings. I had thought I might get one more summer living under the radar but realized that it wasn't fair to me and would be a significant emotional struggle in the end. Hormones and the associated effects have as well made "hiding" impossible.

So... out to my Dad yesterday with the help of family over the past week sensitizing him to the changes before I arrived. He's 83 and knew that he'd have a hard time internalizing even though we'd had this conversation a long time ago. His position is ignore and go about his day which is probably the best I can hope for for now and over the next few months he'll open up more.

Today it started... supplies at the local grocery and coffee. So it begins my first official summer in my home town as Jennifer. Boat launch on Friday, Theater on Saturday to start the summer program, Ladies night at the yacht club next Tuesday. Its going to be complete immersion completing the 3 distinct zones of my life (home local, work, and childhood home).

My confidence in myself and of others remains strong and I'm positive in my outlook.

I'll be attending an impromptu high school reunion next week as well so coming out party it is.

...and yes... I did remember to put the toilet seat down this morning before sitting.

Cheers all... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Great post. I hope everything goes well with your Dad as he gets a few days to mull it over. I know that this was your biggest concern.
    Your total submergence into N.S. society will serve you well for the rest of your life. If you can make it there, you'll make it anywhere.
    Keep well honey.

Banned Read only
    There may be some rough patches along the way but handle them like you have handled the rest of your transition and you will do just fine. Now strap in tightly because now the fun begins.

Wishing you the best, Jennifer! Sounds like you've done your homework and your ready to enjoy life.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Wishing you all the best, Jennifer!

Hoping all goes well, or at least that the bumps be small.

Hugs,

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Good luck, Jennifer

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Sometimes we don't give our parents enough credit. I remember being worried about how my late father would react - and being blown away by his response to the news. I'm sure you are right that the news will surprise some, but from what you have shared with us in the past, I'm sure you will handle things well.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Jennifer, a huge congratulations to you, my dear. I understand what you are goign through as in many ways our experiences in 2015 have been in parallel. But I am so pleased that you put your sweet chin up high and said to the world, "I am Jennifer, and I live here." Make your home town your own. I'm a bit behind you in the RLE living just as yet, but I am excited to hear about your progress, sweetie. Please keep us posted about the many little victories, as well as the frustrations (otherwise known simply as living life). Great news, hon.

Karen

Jennifer
    Just like your work history, your record Of service in this town will pave your way. I know that I am trying to treasure all these moments when people show their love and acceptance. I am so grateful to be having these experiences.
    Suzanne

Congrats Jenn!! Yet more proof of your past positive impact that you have in your world....and now it is coming back to you in positive support! Your hard work has paid off. Have fun hanging out for the summer.....it's a beautiful, relaxing town so take advantage of the pace to recharge. I hope your dad opens up a bit. I can picture him in his chair, enjoying your company. Sending positive thoughts your way.

Enjoy the theatre, and anxious to hear how it goes on Tuesday at the "club" for ladies night.

Ciao Bella

Erin
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...