Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spoke too soon.

Sorry to hear this. Don't think you are alone.
    We are all with you.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I Am Paula View Post
    ...I think it's just a giant set of cosmic circumstances that have come together, and it is just time to end it. The marriage has run it's course, and although my transition is a big factor, it was over anyway.
    At least you two are splitting on good terms. Usually when people divorce, there are several factors involved.
    I think both of you will feel better once the divorce is legal and you two have moved on.

That is not to say you shouldn't have contact if you both wish. I was married 14 years and we divorced for several factors, my transitioning being probably the main reason. Five years later, we still stay in touch.

For you and your wife, maybe you two still love each other and always will but just cannot sustain a marriage together. That is alright. Calling a relationship a "marriage", especially when it is a legally binding one, just puts on a lot more pressure. Once the pressure is off, you two might be better friends than you thought possible.

I think you two will be just fine as friends.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Quote Originally Posted by cheryl reeves View Post
    what baffles me is when transitioning takes place one wants to stay married
    Um, maybe because they might actually have a meaningful relationship that weathers this storm better than other couples do? Not everything is fatal to every marriage. Not so baffling.

wake up your wife married a guy not a woman.
    . . . AAAND the obligatory internalized transphobia! Check that block for the thread.

then the boyfriend thing on the side without wife knowing,thats adultery. im happy your wife is letting you go so you can both be free to start new lives..
    Thanks for the unsolicited moral condemnation and judgment. You're not helping.
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back keep me here to wait for me so I don't go back out and miss myself when I return.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle.M View Post
    your wife married a guy not a woman.
    . . . AAAND the obligatory internalized transphobia!
    Well, I think that's possibly a little harsh. I do not believe it's fair to accuse women who cannot handle their SO transitioning of being transphobic. Some (most?) women who marry a guy really don't want to be in an intimate relationship with that person if the person looks like, lives as, and calls herself a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigella View Post
    Cheryl, when you wear our shoes and walk in our steps, maybe, just maybe, you may begin to understand that marriage is not just about man and a woman, hell even in your neck of the woods the SCOTUS have just said as much.

Oh I have your shoes on Sister,, An I know all to well that Marriage is about Love of the Soul,, Not genitals or anything else to do with sex,, We can satisfy each other in all kinds of ways and still be faithful to each other. That is why I said what I said,,, I am truly Sorry for the actual Divorce ,, But I think it was over when the cheating started?

It really wasn't cheating. They were married and lived platonically sleeping in separate rooms. I'm sure had her wife dated. Paula would have been fine with it.

Transition and marriage is a complicated issue. I have experience with many of my friends and their relationships including my own. I personally know none that have survived although many have tried. Except for the few marriages on this forum.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Gold Member
    what baffles me is when transitioning takes place one wants to stay married,i know some who made it for a few yrs. and they were baffled when divorce hit them. wake up your wife married a guy not a woman. then the boyfriend thing on the side without wife knowing,thats adultery. im happy your wife is letting you go so you can both be free to start new lives..
    I am going even a step further Cheryl. My marriage is just as good after my transition, which was days before our 25th anniversary. I know my wife is in the minority in that she went through everything with me and didn't withdraw one iota, but I also have multiple friends in similar situations. Guess what? Sexual orientation isn't binary no more than Gender Identity is. Wake up, my wife married me, not a man!

I also will say, Paula has been here a long time and has helped many. Every step of the way, I suspect she knew exactly where she was heading and what the possible outcomes were. This be about empathy for a loss. But no matter what the situation is and what the expectation was, it is still a sense of loss among the many we may go through. This should be about empathy for a loss, not judgement of her marriage.
    Last edited by PretzelGirl; 07-03-2015 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne S View Post
    Well, I think that's possibly a little harsh. I do not believe it's fair to accuse women who cannot handle their SO transitioning of being transphobic.
    My point was that cheryl was so quick to dismiss the marriage problem by perpetuating the notion that it was entirely natural that the marriage would end now that Paula's gender identity and presentation are a real-life fact. Although it's very common it's not necessarily a given, and cheryl's narrow and cisnormative viewpoint seems to be an expression of her internalized transphobia. I was not referring to Paula's wife.
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back keep me here to wait for me so I don't go back out and miss myself when I return.

Banned Read only
    narrow minded,so we now are to condone cheating on ones spouse as acceptable? im not narrow minded,i just face reality in the face and move on. im ts and will not transition period,i love my wife and even though she knew i was a cd at the time,she married me for the male part of me. i knew what i was getting into for i wanted to have kids ,i made a trade off that works for me. as for walking in yalls shoes,yall would throw my shoes back at me and tell me im to intense. some marriages work for a time then end after one transitions,not unless your wife was bi or a lesbian when you got married,women love being held by a male,paula wants to be held by a male,and yall wonder why the marriage was toast when she transitioned,paula was being satisfied while her wife was not. so dont come jumping at me for speaking the truth,i hate narrow minded people who call others names for speaking the truth.

Paula my situation was similar. I found once I grieved the loss of someone that meant a lot to me for many years I was happy it was finally over. It hurt but in the end I felt better about the situation and myself. I hope you will as well.
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell

so dont come jumping at me for speaking the truth,i hate narrow minded people who call others names for speaking the truth.
    I respect that your truth may be valid for your situation, but that doesn't apply to everyone. It's unfair to criticize Paula for doing something you wouldn't do, especially since you're making your assessment from a distance and via a computer screen (and I'm guessing you haven't had any conversations with her, either).

And it seems a little odd that we'd judge someone's relationship from a religious perspective (adultery, although codified in civil law, is biblical doctrine) when that same religious perspective generally vilifies us for claiming our gender identities.

Let's not have any of this "speaking the truth" nonsense. Your truth and Paula's truth are not the same.

Untitled
    ... some marriages work for a time then end after one transitions...
    Ok I am two years Post Op, my SO knew before me that I was TS, she was given plenty of opportunity to walk away, recently she made an official declaration that she wished to remain married when my "legal" gender status was changed. There are many instances where marriages survive transition, yes some do end, there is no denying that.

... not unless your wife was bi or a lesbian when you got married
    My SO has no interest in being intimate with another woman, never has, she married me because she loved me not my bits, it was just unfortunate at the time I was pretending but didn't know it.

... women love being held by a male,
    So does that mean the my SO does not love cuddling with me? Pity you could not see her face when we hold each other. Oh and how do those in a same cis relationship, i.e. lesbians feel when they are held by their partners are they really thinking that they want to be held by a man?

So dont come jumping at me for speaking the truth,i hate narrow minded people who call others names for speaking the truth.
    Who's truth, certainly not mine and not for others on this forum. Yes we accept that there are differences, but what we don't accept is your intolerance of others views, stop ramming your version of things down our throats and accept that your way is not exclusive.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

cheryl reeves

We don't know the full story about Paula and her full situation so what give you the right to say what you have

Lets get one thing straight here I'm married to Nigella and I am not bi or lesbian as you seem to think I am, and how dare you suggest that when you don't even know me? ...you talk a load of regarding this and god knows why I'm even explaining myself to someone who thinks what she says/does is right....crawl back into your little world hun and let the serious girls play here.
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

Gold Member
    Why are a few of the long-timers here arguing with some damned noob in the first place?

Ehh whatever, there is always at least one troll wanting to tell the members here what screw-ups we are.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Erin View Post
    Ehh whatever, there is always at least one troll wanting to tell the members here what screw-ups we are.
    These trolls tend to get my foot firmly up their butts if they carry on trolling... just don't feed them, they'll soon get bored and move on

Paula, just wanted to give you a or two xx

Sandra and Nigella are my long time friends/sisters on here and personally, they love each other very much and anyone thinks differently, well you don't know them.
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 07-20-2015 at 03:48 AM.
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Banned Read only
    wow name calling over the truth,hmm truth and reality tends to hurt when reality kicks in. i may be a noob as you call it here,but im far from being a noob,i been active since 99 on other boards,thats hw we met helen and her so,and a few wonderful married couples when we used to go to meetings,ive also talked to a few who got trapped in the pink fog and transitioned,and regretted it. i dont know paula,but ive known a few in her shoes and they wondered why the marriage broke up.
    so let me ask yall this,so its alright to cheat on your spouse once the marriage goes platonic? im sorry i cant feel for paula,but i do feel for her spouse.

p.s. im not a troll,but you have the right to get nasty towards me for thats yalls right. besides i have been called worse for speaking the truth and refusing to jump on the same band wagon as everyone else seems to do. im going to be 50 next month and have seen and dealt with alot in those yrs. and have always gone my own way.
    Last edited by cheryl reeves; 07-04-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Untitled

Moderator Note

OK this stops right now, we are not here to judge anyone's relationship, it has nothing to do with anyone outside the relationship. This thread is about how Paula is now aware of her marriage being over.

If all you have to say is negative comments about the relationship, then don't bother posting. I do not wish to see anymore views on the rights or wrongs about what you feel on how a relationship should be. You are not living in it, don't judge others by your standards.

OK back to normality
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Here here Nigella... Thanks for stepping in.

Paula...we are here for you!

All the best... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

I began transition 5 years ago. I am still married and very happily so even. In our situation sustaining your marriage relationship is neither easy nor can it be done without a lot of work and goodwill from all sides. Krisi, I couldn't care less if my wife decided to transition to male, SHE is the person I love. Not for her sex but for who she is. She, fortunately feels the same. And e are one heterosexual and one bi-sexual partner in this marriage.

Not all marriages are doomed to fail.

Paula, it makes me sad at you and she have to go through this. It I never easy, and always a revisiting of common histories. I wish you much inner strength and never lose sight of your future.
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)

Platinum Member
    Sorry to hear that the relationship has run its course. It does seem that it's not a long step from platonic relationship to no relationship at all. I wish the best for you in this unexpected situation.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Paula, I'm sorry to hear this, but it may be for the best. Good wishes for both of you.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

My marriage, update

It's been a tense month, with lots of ups and downs. I had (sort of) accepted my marriage as being over, and even found a place to live. Surprisingly, Barb and I have talked more than we have in the ten previous years. The deep stuff, not just small talk that has become our norm.
    There was not a lot of concessions to make on my side, Paula is here to stay. Barb has decided (for now) to accept my transition, if the only other option is separation. She said she knew my transition was permanent, but held onto a belief that I may come to my senses. As that didn't happen, she manifested her displeasure as anger.
    After a lot of discussion, we have mutually decided that on some very strange level, our relationship works, we enjoy each others company, and have some distant need for each other. We work better as a team. Our relationship will remain as room mates. Neither of us has any desire for a physical relationship.
    I offered her a divorce. If she felt better staying together, but not married, and using her maiden name, that would be fine. One of her biggest objections has been being in a 'gay' marriage, and what society may think (so far 'society' hasn't made a peep). She says she's fine as it is. She told her meddling Father, and Brother to lay off, she had made her choice.
    It may sound lopsided, with all the concessions being on her side, but truly, I did what I had to do to survive. I hoped I wouldn't leave any collateral damage, but I was prepared for any eventuality.
    We have decided to work our hardest at getting along. No guarantees. She's not entirely to blame. I responded to her anger with more of my own, and that turned into an ugly back and forth. She said she will try to bite her tongue if she has something nasty to say, and I will bite mine should I have a sarcastic, or caustic retort.
    Neither of us wants a stalemate. It will work, or it won't. I'm hoping it works.

Thanks to all your responses to my last post. You may, or may not agree with choices I've made. That is the purpose of a forum.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Sounds like some serious progress in understanding each other. Here's hoping it works out well for the two of you.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Paula...

Good to hear you've reached a state of stability at home and I'm confident it will work fine as it has been for a while. I think sometimes the pot has to boil over to know to turn down the heat a bit. Now that things are out on the table hopefully the family will come inline. I hope your doing good and maintaining that smile. If you need a break you can always come down to NS for a restbit ��

Cheers... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Thanks Jennifer. You know a lot more of the back story, so when I have a moment, I'll catch you up. We are both realizing we make a good team.