Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you accepted the fact you are a transvestite?

I love to dress and have become more of a transvestite over the years. Before that for years I was just a "panty wearer". Its amazing how I have changed over the years. If I were 30 years younger, Feeling the way I do now, I probably would consider SRS. Due to age, family, and all that goes with it, I don't see that in my future. That's why I am truly amazed by Caitlyn....it is so much easier to just enjoy my partial indulgence in this lifestyle.

I am starting to accept that I am a transvestite - joining in the discussions on this site are helping. As others have said I think I prefer the term crossdresser as transvestite seems to have sleazy connotations. However the terms as I understand them basically mean the same thing. It's just our feelings towards the words, or society's feelings, that have given the word transvestite that sleazy edge.

nomenclature aside, yes.

It took a long time (years and years) but I finally came to the realization that this was me, was not going to change, and would always be. Once I got to that, it became just another part of my personality. Not necessarily something I share with everybody else, but certainly with those close to me. My wife knew before I proposed. We've been happily married for 18 years now and hope for many more.
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

Yes, I accept myself as a transvestite (and I quite like the word!)
    Some boys just can't help acting like girls...

My pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mayatoronto/

Aspiring Member
    I accept the fact that I'm a transvestite/crossdresser, although, like some, I detest the word transvestite... not because it doesn't define me, but rather the way I know the general public perceives the word - it does have a sleaze factor to it.

And actually, I don't really like the term "crossdresser," even though it is much more acceptable to me than transvestite.

I would love it if our community could come up with a different term for us... like "Gender-alt" or "Gen-alt" or something that reflects the term "Gender-fluid."

Just a thought.

Though still figuring out exactly where I sit on the gender scale, I am comfortable using the term CD but it took me a while. I'm just starting to understand that there's more to me and that it's more than just wanting to wear the clothes.

I am not me when I'm dolled up, but rather a me that feels like something else. I call myself a "femulator" because I'm a fake girl. I'm starting to like "sometimes sissy" but there's somewhat of a stereotype associated with that label. I consider it beside the point, however, like it or not, we are all sisters here!
    Edit: Make that trans-sisters?
    Last edited by JessicaJHall; 07-05-2015 at 03:10 PM.
    CD? I'm never cross when dressed
    More like HF.. Happy Femulator. Julie's Flickr page
    Amateur/DIY Photos adjusted for exposure and white balance only, except to obscure background All rights reserved.

Banned Read only
    Lillblondecutie,
    Try another thirty years of figuring out, it doesn't get any easier, just accept you're stuck with it and hope others will be just as accepting !

I don't like the term, I prefer crossdresser or transgender, but yes.

Hugs, Bria

I have fully accepted the fact that I enjoy wearing female clothes, a wig and makeup and presenting as a female. Like others, I don't like the 'transvestite' label, because it has too many connotations I'd rather not apply to myself. I prefer 'cross dresser'.

At first for me, cross dressing was merely something I wrote about when writing fiction. One of many kinky behaviors in my stories. I also knew I liked role playing female characters in on-line venues, and presenting them as well-dressed, believable women.

Eventually I accepted that I was writing about that topic because some part of me wanted to try wearing women's clothes myself, and that I'd had those impulses for a long time and denied them. I bought panties, and even a corset, but told myself that was as far as it was going to go. My wife accepted my wearing panties under my male clothes, but pretty clearly was not in favor of me going further than that. Yet soon I also secretly obtained one skirt, one blouse, a push-up bra plus some silicone push up pads that between them gave me a C-cup figure, and several wigs. I still had a beard though, and didn't intend to dress up except in private, in my home when alone.

I remember when I first bought a pair of women's shoes. I told myself, "If I do this, I have to accept that the only reason I am doing it is because I eventually want to leave the house while dressed as a girl." After all, I could wear the clothes and a wig in the house and didn't need shoes that badly...

When I became a widower and no longer had to worry about what my wife would think about it, I embraced the idea that not only was I going to prepare myself for going out in public as a girl, but I was going to have a big wardrobe of clothes, shoes and wigs and do my best to present believably as a female. I got rid of the beard, learned to apply makeup, and learned to change my voice to sound more feminine. My closet is now 50% women's stuff.

Now I do it well enough that if I am using my girl voice on the phone, the other person assumes I am female. I very rarely am addressed as a male when I am presenting female. While my appearance certainly isn't 100 percent passable, I look better than a lot of real girls do, and am well within the range where a casual observer would be more likely to assume I am female than otherwise, if I am presenting female.

My skills with makeup and voice can certainly still improve. And I'm still not comfortable with dressing up and going out to public places, other than the one gay nightclub that has been my public hangout when I am being Ceera.

So how comfortable I am with what I am and what I do is continuing to evolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    Hi Lexi,

While I have accepted who I am "Transgender" I am not a big label fan as I consider myself a person first and foremost and gender is something we are assigned at birth and/or choose later in life. However, not a big fan of the word "transvestite" for no real particular reason other than it drums up visions of Tim Curry with crazy blue eye shadow, garters, heels and a horrible hairstyle. I know, I know seems a bit shallow but , whenever I talk to people about being transgender, the older ones (my generation) tend to default to their only frame of reference "so you are like Frankenfurter from the Rocky Horror Picture Show".

Cheers

Isha
    If I had a castle with a lab capable of creating a blond haired bodybuilder muscle boy, you can forget about making the muscle boy. I would use it to turn myself into a pretty little blonde surfer girl. Cue the lightning strike!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OCCarly View Post
    If I had a castle with a lab capable of creating a blond haired bodybuilder muscle boy, you can forget about making the muscle boy. I would use it to turn myself into a pretty little blonde surfer girl. Cue the lightning strike!!!
    Sign me up too pls

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I've come to think of myself as a "female impersonator".

But, I'll answer to; CD, transvestite, perv, pretty much anything accept TS. I may be a lot of things, but I'm not that.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandie70 View Post
    I would love it if our community could come up with a different term for us... like "Gender-alt" or "Gen-alt" or something that reflects the term "Gender-fluid."
    How about "Gender-fluid?" Pretty well nails it in the connotation department. (Although thinking about it, it does sound like a new flavor of Mountain Dew or something.)

Or you could align with Tina Z, our very own "Gender Non-conforming Ukelelist." I've been enjoying the term "Transgender male" meaning to convey that I was assigned male at birth but turned out to be transgender. Though it comes uncomfortably close to "transman" which term is already staked out by FtM Transsexuals -- I certainly don't want to poach terms.

I prefer the term crossdresser--think transvestite is a little too clinical. I tell people that I'm trans gendered.

Jodi

Oh no! I'm no transvestite!

Why am I wearing open-toed shoes with little bows on them? It's just that my toes get sore when I wear regular shoes! It's just for health reasons. Honest!

And why am I wearing pantyhose? It's just to help my circulation! Honest!

And why are my toenails painted red? Well, somebody tricked me! I fell asleep on the couch a few years ago, and one of my daughters painted my toenails red. (Gee this polish has lasted a long time!)

And why am I wearing this cute little denim skirt? Well, it's actually a skort. You know. A pair of bicycle shorts with kind of an apron over them for modesty. Just for bicycling, I assure you. (I'm going to get a bicycle any day now.)

And what about that lacy peasant blouse? Well, it's really hot today, and this fabric is really thin and light and comfortable. But it's kinda macho, don't you think?

And why am I wearing a 44D bra? Well, you know those online stores! I was ordering a new chain saw, but I accidentally hit the wrong button, and they sent me a couple of bras instead. Waste not want not, I always say!

And no, these aren't really breastforms. They're chest protectors, in case I fall off my bicycle.

Oh, and the long girly wig. I went to get a toupee to cover up my bald head, but they were sooo expensive! This was much cheaper! And besides, lots of guys have long hair, right?

And that's not red lipstick I'm wearing, it's lip balm for chapped lips. I don't know why it turned bright red. I really don't!

No, I'm definitely not a transvestite, honest!

Aspiring Member
    Gender-fluid? No, thanks, even though my body is mostly water. I do not care for the term transvestite (I don't wear vests). Even cross dresser doesn't excite me. Frankly, I just enjoy wearing women's clothes. That's all.

Ineke

I prefer the word crossdresser and yes I have accepted myself as one.
    Amanda

I just bought three summer dresses on sale from Macy's, so I guess that makes me one. I have become a lot more open about it to others since my wife passed and feel good in doing so. This forum and my cross dresser support group have changed my self, for the better.

I just refer to myself as a CD, never liked the word transvestite.

Not a problem. Now and then I go out in pastel pink sweats, with a pair of white keds, suntan pantyhose and a women's tee. Why worry what others think. Like those obese women with attitude, or obese men who's belly enter a room ten minutes before they do. Each of us are who we are, and oddly, we weren't made out of the same piece of clothe. Took me a long time to like who I am, now its just going to be that way.

Did you say shopping? Caden Lane's Avatar
    Now why do we have to bash obese people? Not so long ago, I was obese. Im sure there was a kinder way to say that, or a better example hon.

Ever & Always,
    Caden Lane
    "These aren't 'women's clothes'. These are my clothes. I bought them with my own money."
    Eddie Izzard

I'm flipping genders, what's your super power?!?!

Please visit my wordpress blog: http://southerncrossdresser.wordpress.com

Mostly in my head Hilde_Morales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caden Lane View Post
    However I've never associated with the word transvestite. For some reason it conjures up mental images of sleazy parts of town, poorly dressed and made-up men in the prowl for other men. But that may just be a pop-culture artifact.
    I did feel like this, until Eddie Izzard pulled it back into more acceptable connotations for me with his bits about being an action/executive transvestite. It just makes me think of him now.
    It will probably not surprise you that I love your signature, Caden.

I think I'd prefer to refer to myself as panvestite. Wearing all of the clothes

Actually, I quite like Genderfluid too.
    Last edited by Hilde_Morales; 07-05-2015 at 04:44 PM. Reason: adding the last bit.
    Then came a curious hesitation. Was my appearance really credible?
    I was grotesque to the theatrical pitch, a stage miser, but I was certainly not a physical impossibility.
    I spent some minutes screwing up the courage and then unlocked the shop door and marched out into the street.
    The Invisible Man - H.G. Wells

Is 'transvestite" not a direct, verbatim latin translation of "cross-dresser" ? I assume it's not the 'dead language' that people take offense to

I'm one who believes that self-acceptance and 'detesting a term' don't go together, and the existence of the latter is a good indicator of the lack of the former.

Taking ownership and control of negative labels is a big deal in acceptance, and if you can be hurt with labels, you can be victimized by them - which is not where you want to be.

I am a tranny, a transvestite, sissy, queer, ******* he-she, "it" whatever anyone wants to say. I'm too old and too busy to play 'grey area' with words.

I do remember a time when I said to myself, yeah, "I'm a transvestite" and it was a very freeing. But looking back, it was most definitely from my own self, and my own prejudices that it was freeing from. It's never really about 'them.'
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?

I'm not a transvestite; I'm a crossdresser. I've come to hate the word transvestite. Now if only my spellchecker would agree that crossdresser is the correct word, not transvestite.

As for self acceptance, i guess my signature says it all.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.