Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever conssidered *NOT* passing?

Have you ever conssidered *NOT* passing?

Those of you have issues in the Summer months, and curtail your dressing activities, because forms, wigs, and shaved legs are too much of a pain, have you ever considered doing the "Guy in a skirt" thing?

I understand that some of you would be hesitant to be seen that way, but maybe in another town as some of you do when trying to pass.

It was the discussions about problems with the heat that spurred me to ask. Being able to go work in a skirt has been a great improvement in my comfort levels, as it's been getting pretty hot and humid for around here, and our A/C needs to be taken out and replaced.

I have had very little reactions at all from customers, and a fair percentage that have been obvious have been positive. One of my co-workers was asked yesterday, "Is your guy over there wearing a skirt?" "Yes?" "Oh. Just checking" I had one, old dude, who sort of sidled off, and refused to look at me, that was the extent of the negative reactions.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

I'm sitting outdoors at a market right now, wearing a skirt, stockings, wig...the whole nine yards. Is it warm? Yes. But I wouldn't change a thing
    I do wholly support your decision to be the man in the skirt, I just enjoy all the other aspects too much! I will wear just a skirt at home but going out means full on girl.

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    While I have never worn a skirt while presenting as a man, I do frequently wear obviously female clothes while presenting as a man. I have been thinking more about trying skirts. Oh so yeah, I have no problems with not passing. If that is how I feel like dressing. At other times sure I go all out. The weather doesn't determine what I wear though.

I am not sure I ever pass (people ma'am me to be polite perhaps)

In a word, NO. I have never considered the "dude in a dress" look.

Yes, it's my default, it is lovely, a different space of being, for sure, from full-CD, which deserves its special time and attention, but as a daily life convenience, it's like most ladies not wearing make-up, but it means I can mostly be in full female clothing contact.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Gone to live my life
    Hi there,

To be honest I don't pass when dressed with the best of make-up days . . . I think people always see a "guy in a skirt". However, for me it is about aligning my identity with the presentation. So if I identify guy on a given day, I dress guy so wearing a skirt (unless it was a kilt) would not be congruent with how I feel or see myself. If I identify gal on a given day, I dress accordingly and unfortunately that means make-up and wig to better align the presentation . . . the one exception being if I am doing yard work for which I will wear typical female clothing (women's shorts, tank top,) no wig but a hat and no make-up . . . just a close shave.

Cheers

Isha

Always, as I love myself as a male and don't like deceiving people. In safe environments, I enjoy going out as a guy in a skirt / dress / swimsuit / women's flat shoes, after shaving enough to avoid looking like a genderf***er.

Banned Read only
    Underdresser,
    I don't get enough time to do the whole package, if I'm going to do makeup it's got to be a whole day so I just accept a guy in a dress look !
    I've walked the dog initially underdressed but removed the drab layer when I thought it was safe but I've been out caught several times now and it has just ended up being a bit of fun !

I was hoping you were going to say the guy in your story ambled off and came back wearing a skirt !

I think some misunderstood my thread about the warm weather driving me mad, what I meant by it was the clothes being worn in the warm weather were driving me mad !

Yes, I have considered it, and chickened out miserably. See me around 2115: next time around. But goddess bless you, you seriously rock. A sarong, i am thinking, west coast style. yes. And I am one of these idiots who is likely my own worst enemy. perhaps if i stay in shape enough not to cause the neighbors to vomit. :-)

Thanks for posting this. I've been thinking of posting something similar for awhile now.

I've found that wigs just irritate me and makeup just takes to long and never seems to look right to me. I know its probably just a matter of practice but I just don't want to invest the time at the moment. Which is alright, just wearing clothes around the house or underdressing out and about has been satisfying the urge to dress.

If the "man in a dress" mentality wasn't as much of a thing I would probably go out dressed sans the makeup and the wigs.

Platinum Member
    Hi UD, I only dress to impress.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Have I considered "not passing?" I don't think the makeup and costume departments that did Dustin Hoffman ("Tootsie") could make me pass. The only times I went out in public in a skirt, the skirt was the only thing different about my attire than my usual. There could have been no question that I was a "man in a skirt."
    "But what is Truth? Is Truth unchanging law?
    We both have truths - are mine the same as yours?"

I admire your courage to be 'the guy in a skirt'. As for me, it's the whole nine yards: wig, makeup, stockings, etc. I know that I don't 'pass'. But I also came to the realization that since I don't pass, why not just enjoy being out dressed. The heat and humidity, however, is a real drag (HAHAHA) on my dressing.
    "It is so easy to exist, instead of live. Unless you know there is a clock ticking."
    --Anna Quindlen, writer, journalist, columnist

Thanks for the replies all. I should have been more specific I think, though. I was curious about those of you that don't identify as TG, certainly not those who are TS, but rather those of you who just enjoy the clothes. It seemed there were a fair number who just don't try to go out in the heat. I should also say that the skirt I wear is often assumed to be some form of simplified kilt. it is often described as a "manskirt" I never try to look female, or even feminine, I just like the look, I like to show off my legs, and the skirts do it better than shorts, and they are much more comfortable into the bargain.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

Reality Check
    No I have not and would not. I don't want to "out" myself.

When I go out I am all man or all woman (as much as is possible).

I would be all male or all female. I don't want to be a "guy in a skirt/dress."
    I don't dress to impress, I dress to outdress

While "minimal" dressing would simplify things I have gotten to the stage of being all or nothing

Sarah x
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

So I said to myself.... "could I ever do that ? ", and I replied NO ! In my closet, I wear skirts and they are very comfortable. BUT, the "acceptable" skirts (kilts, Utlilkilt .... ) don't really work.

The kilts are worn with knee length socks and shoes and I don't care for all of that. The "masculine" kilts are in my humble opinion....JUST PLAIN UGLY ! I really don't want a "kilt" with cargo pockets in a camo fabric to try to project a masculine image ! (Steps down from soapbox.....) . I'm glad for you and just wish I had the chutzpah to do it myself !

Diane

Did you say shopping? Caden Lane's Avatar
    Nope, just not my thing. But I also live in coastal Georgia, with super high humidity, and I still go out fully dressed. During the midday heat no less. Not much can dissuade me from dressing during the summer. Although I recently suspect I may identify more TS than I've ever realized.

But man in a skirt is just not a look for me.
    "These aren't 'women's clothes'. These are my clothes. I bought them with my own money."
    Eddie Izzard

I'm flipping genders, what's your super power?!?!

Please visit my wordpress blog: http://southerncrossdresser.wordpress.com

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    never...but do you......

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERDRESSER View Post
    forms, wigs, and shaved legs are too much of a pain, have you ever considered doing the "Guy in a skirt" thing?

in the summer, I wear no forms...just a light push up bra, go with a shorter hairstyle for the summer heat....and legs...yeah shaving is a pain but nothing is as sexy as a smooth set of well baby oiled legs that glisten

I wear a skirt as a guy frequently. They are usually denim skirts. But I have a couple of plain black ones that I wear out and about also. I have worn a couple of plain women's tops too. But usually it's a guys shirt. I've also worn pantyhose with the skirts.

I have not worn a skirt as a guy in a long time, but have been considering it again. I do wear women's shorts and ballet flats or mary janes. I have not crossdressed "to pass" in over a decade, and don't intend to. My women's flats are the most comfortable shoes I own and I find them to be as cool or cooler than sneakers. In the cooler months I'll also wear nylons or tights. If more guys could get over the idea that somehow skirt, flats and tights are somehow "sissy," I think they would find them comfortable and we could take them back from women (or at least share them as a clothing choice).

Adrianna, I Had to respond to this as an SO of a CD, I love Silky Smooth legs on Kimmi! All year round.
    Stacie

Underdresser: Very valid question and one I've been contemplating more and more. My first public outings were hiking local mountain trails in a skirt in hot weather. It was so liberating and I loved the breeze between my legs and lack of inseam. Nobody said anything and very few even looked askance at me. I actually got more quizzical looks from guys when I hiked in stretch pants in cooler weather - and these stretch pants were made for men by Nike! Haha. I have been seen by a couple of neighbors in a skirt and I just explained that I like to relax in one. So far they haven't burned down my house! I think I'm just a curiosity to them.

But I've been seriously considering going shopping in a skirt now that summer is here. I like maxi skirts or over-the-knee styles (I'm over 60 years old) but I hike in knee length women's hiking skirts. I still sport a mustache so I'm absolutely not trying to pass as a woman in public, although I dress quite femininely in my own home. Depending on the style of skirt I think I could pull it off but haven't had the guts yet. I did see a man in a long dress in a grocery store a few weeks ago and nobody seemed to blink an eye. Also chatted with a guy in a Utilikilt (not my style). I think it depends on where you're going and who might be there (i.e. eclectic, accepting people, or conservative, judgmental people. Choose your venue and style carefully.

One day I hope it won't matter that I'm wearing a skirt, but that day isn't quite here yet - at least outside my front door.
    Cheers!
    Gypsy