Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is ...

Untitled

What is ...

... Transition? TS identified members responses only please

I don't want to start a debate on each members definition of transition, I just thought it would be a good idea to find out the varying degrees of what transition means to the varied membership of this forum.

Please NO comments on any of the posts, this is not a "trannier than thou" thread.

I will add my own comments later, once I have my thoughts in order
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Silver Member
    Closest facsimile for the individual, as long as it minimally includes being full-time. Even so, that is measured versus my personal definition (or perhaps standard) of hormones, full-time, and SRS.
    Lea

I think we all agree were it begins, and where it ends. I think what a lot of girls (guys) forget- It's supposed to be a temporary state.

Banned Read only
    Not in this order - that will vary based on needs and circumstances, but, to me, transition is quite a number of steps:
    1. Medical transition
    • HRT
    • Electrolysis / Laser hair removal
    • Hair replacement / restoration / transplant
    • Facial Feminization
    • Trach shave
    • Breast Augmentation
    • GRS
    • Orchiectomy
    • So many other possibilities

2. Social transition
    • Coming out
    • Going fulltime
    • Voice feminization

3. Psychological / emotional transition
    • Gender therapy
    • Support groups
    • Unlearning male socialization
    • Finding yourself as a woman, what type of woman you are, how you present, etc.

4. Transition on the job (really social transition - but with super high stakes)
    • Coming out to HR
    • Coming out to your boss
    • Coming out to your coworkers
    • Going fulltime
    • Change employee information
    • Change retirement accounts, etc.

5. Legal transition
    • Court order for name / gender marker change
    • Driver's license
    • Social Security
    • Passport
    • Birth Certificate
    • ... and a zillion other things...

Not everyone will need or want all these steps. And unfortunately, local laws interact on this stuff in weird ways, so that sometimes we have to do medical stuff we don't need to do legal stuff so that we aren't treated poorly.

To me, the bare minimum one does for transition is:
    social transition - going fulltime
    job transition - going fulltime
    Someone doing only this much is going to face tough sledding in many places.

A more realistic definition to me is:
    Medical transition - HRT, if possible. Other things as needed
    social transition - going fulltime
    job transition - going fulltime
    psychological / emotional transition - at least attending a support group once in a while, but preferably some therapy

Obviously we're in transition while we're working on these goals, and arguably we're done when we feel we're done, but to my mind, HRT (provided it's medically possible), living and working as a woman, is really the core of transition for most of us. Of course the more medical things many of us can avail ourselves of, the more comfortable we'll be. And the legal parts of transition should be easy and straight-forward and affordable, but in most places, they are not, which is why I didn't include them. I don't think it's fair to say "you aren't in transition" because someone is missing a step like that, when it isn't realistically available to them. (In particular, requiring GRS for legal transition is just cruel, in my opinion.)

By the way, the above only applies to binary aligned identities like those of us on the TS forum. For non-binary people, transition may well be rather different. (And quite personal and not so well defined as ours tends to be.)

"Transition" is a process by which one changes his/her physical appearance, gender expression and/or gender role to match one's natural gender identity.

I wish I knew where it all goes,, But we don't until we get there? Most of all being able to find the inner peace and interact as one of the other girls an be treated a such,, Not all the clothes and shoes and makeup or hormones or surgery and anything else that gets us there. All are a state being to a level of acceptance to be treated as one of them in a Normal way. Not a freak and politicly correct way,, Just the normal everyday way they would treat a cis woman. Not a Trans chic,, A regular chic, That's what transition means to me.

To feel normal and not to feel as though I don't belong, Even though I could make being a man look easy and would and could and did fool everyone around me to the point of being looked up to by family members such as male relatives younger or maybe even older than me . When all I wanted was to fit in with the ladies and talk and be one of them without all of them feeling like I was flirting and not being nice for the sake of getting along as one of them. Just being look at and accepted to the point of a normal woman . That's transition,, From one being to the next.

Silver Member
    somewhere between saving my ass and hell.....

but I do think it means at least living and identifying yourself in all aspects of your life as female for mtf.

Transition to me is moving from one gender to the other.
    The intent to live full-time, legally and socially as the opposite of your birth gender. Taking hormones and continuing to live as your birth gender with no intention of living legally and socially is taking steps to mitigate whatever GD intensity. But is not transition.

I like Misty's definition transitioner. That to me defines the process we undergo towards our target gender. The time frame is variable and many get stuck and some never make it. I know many girls that for live full time socially as woman. But can't for medical or financial, or even personal reasons take hormones, have SRS, or other surgical procedures. They are transitioning or have
    Transitioned. Those individuals are to me TS and are living their lives as woman. Those that live as their birth gender or part-time middlers are gender variant.

My opinion and only mine. And yes I personally know an individual that identifies as female but doesn't take hormones, and lives as a male. I don't get it but ehh who am I to judge.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Externalizing or making visible your gender identity in a real and tangible way so that the world responds to that previously hidden gender and not to the manifest sexual identity that was obvious until then.

Gender does not change in my conceptualization of transition, only the sex and attributes related to it.
    Last edited by Frances; 07-07-2015 at 08:24 AM.
    It's Frances with an E, like Frances Farmer. Francis is a man's name.

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    Transition is the process of change... Everyone is in some form of transition, young to old, poor to rich, trainee to boss, it's just for us we have another form to consider, boy to girl. Just like all the other 'transitions' it's a personal process, each may have varying start points, different paths and our own ideas of end state, but there is much we all share.
    The process starts with that serendipitous moment of realisation, the casting off of the last shards of denial, a deep self acceptance and the identification of the journey ahead, whether or not the destination is clear. There is no fixed routine, no checkpoints to pass, no 'to do' list to cross off. It's not a race, it's not contest... There's no right way, no wrong way.
    I do think we spend a little to long in pointless comparisons, judgements and criticisms. I'm on this path, but I'm in the slow lane, enjoying the view. I certainly got to the start point at Mach 2 but that was just the way I was... I managed to get what I needed, what I wanted after an uncomfortable period of denial, anger, mood swings and refusal. From here, well I just want to enjoy the journey.
    Call me Donna, please

To me transition is a state of motion, like transportation, it is a process that gets you from one place to another. Kinda like the transition from adolescence to adulthood, it can involve changes to your body, your mind, and your social situation.

PaulaQ hs done a wonderful job of listing the possible steps and paths for transition, but it seems to me that the big question is how to know when you are done, when your transition is over. Personally, I suspect it is over when you feel comfortable that it is over, and/or perhaps it is over when others see you as being at the other end of the journey; like when they stopped asking for your ID when you ordered a drink.

Long ago there was an incredible breakthough software program for its day, Lotus 1-2-3. The genius behind it, Mitch Kapor, went on to fame and fortune. The programmers were constantly working on Lotus 1-2-3- before it came out, honing this and polishing that, and I believe that at some point Kapor said, "What is on my desk at midnight tonight IS Lotus 1-2-3 Version 1.0. What you work on tomorrow will be Version 2.0."

To me transition is like that. If you don't call it done it will never be done.

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Paula View Post
    I think what a lot of girls (guys) forget- It's supposed to be a temporary state.
    Amen!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    Last edited by Persephone; 07-06-2015 at 04:29 PM.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Banned Read only
    To answer the question "when are we done", I think that is a very personal thing. For me, I expect that it will be when the nightmares I have finally stop.

Transition is the period of external change from one gender to another.
    For me Hormones, fulltime, legal changes, GRS.

In my eyes transition is the process of abandoning your birth gender with the intentions of 110% living, working and socializing full time as your target gender. As others have already mentioned transition is meant to be a temporary state with a beginning point and an end point, how long you spend in this phase is up to the individual.
    Last edited by Nigella; 07-07-2015 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Sorry but I asked for your definition of transition, not how you view others

The answers are very interesting. It seems that for most on this forum and in this thread, it's about the process not the end result. The process is quite consuming, but it is only a means to an end.
    Last edited by Frances; 07-06-2015 at 07:17 PM.
    It's Frances with an E, like Frances Farmer. Francis is a man's name.

Woman first, Trans second
    To me it's a set of actions taken with an eventual end goal of living and publicly presenting full-time as the individual's gender identity. That may or may not involve HRT, surgery, etc., and I could care less what you're wearing, but it certainly involves the eventual end of hiding your true identity from anybody.

If your goal is not full-time in the end, I don't think you're transitioning.

I don't see a need for a set plan or some checklist of requirements beyond that. To me, the process starts when you decide you're going to go full-time at some point, and can take as much or as little time as you want. The steps you take in the middle and the way you take them are up to you, so long as you're making some kind of progress. My definition of progress is pretty wide open though...

• Therapy and getting your head straight? Progress.
    • Living more authentically more often than you were before? Progress.
    • "Stalling" for a month because you're questioning everything again (a good sign that you're sane) and deciding to keep moving forward when you run out of thoughts? Big time progress.
    Last edited by Zooey; 07-06-2015 at 08:12 PM.
    Coming out is like discovering that you've been drowning your whole life after actually breathing air for the first time.

For me, Transition is a continual journey with many twist and turns in all aspects of one's life to gain some semblance of what the mind strives for to be "normal".
    “When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be.” ― Julia Glass

Silver Member
    "Transition" was originally a noun only, referring to an intermediate state. It's also in current use as a verb, where it refers to engaging in, or making a transition.

Technically, and consistent with either part of speech, I suppose I should say that MtF or FTM gender/sex transition (noun, and note the adjectives) consists of the gender and/or sex state during the period when it is neither sufficiently (another qualifier) male nor female. Thus qualified, transition can only refer to a binary-binary change.

To transition gender/sex (verb) is to engage in the medical processes and social conventions to make the binary switch. In similar fashion to the noun, one has to specify the start and end states as well as define "sufficiently" (or as I put it earlier - closest facsimile) and the procedures and processes that go along with same. Fully qualified, to transition might be "transition from male to female such that I change to living full time in the female role as conventionally understood, take medications to change my hormonal makeup to current medical standards for gender/sex transition, and undergo SRS." That's bad enough.

But it gets worse. We now turn the verb into a verbal noun! So now transition (noun) can refer to the intermediate state, the period of change, and the collection of changes themselves. THAT results in horrible, loaded shorthand usages like "my transition," "transition is terrible," and so on. The lack of precision that would make sense of the nounification only leads to arguments over the qualifiers that should have been there to begin with.

Yet people DO get by with the contracted usage in some circumstances! Why and where? Where commonality lends sufficient convention To obviate the qualifications. Plain English - transsexuals have far fewer issues among themselves understanding each other's use of the word, even when nuanced, than when in mixed (transgender non-TS) company. Oddly enough, there are also few problems with the general public, as they simply assume "sex change."

I rather like Frances' conceptualization. "Externalization" covers full-time, hormonal change, and SRS for me quite nicely.

And maybe it's best to avoid using "transition" entirely with the transgender, non-TSs. Even though it IS the transsexual forum ...
    Lea

To me, transition isn't so much as me changing as it is the perception of the people interact with changing from a perceived male to female. After all, in my mind the whole point of doing this is so I can finally be myself and stop acting.. I am not trying to audition for a new role. The path that I cause that change in perception is thr u hrt, selected surgery, legal paperwork, etc.
    I make steps towards this daily. Some areas progress slowly, some areas in my life are moving along nicely. But every day I am more and more myself.
    So what is transition, a phasing out of the acting I have to in my life!.

Melissa
    In my head I am a size 6.. in the mirror I see a size 14
    One day I hope mind and mirror match

Well for me, a gender transition means the process of change from one social construct to another.

I was born a man and have recently transitioned into a woman. My name is changed, my physical appearance has totally changed, ...my life has changed. The rest of the world may see me as a trans woman or something else, but they definitely won't label me or interact with me as a man. Even the most virulent 'phobe wouldn't be able to 'man' me no matter what he says. I'm just too far removed from anything masculine.

I have transitioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    For me, transition (in the context of what we discuss in these forums) is the process that allowed me to shed my old identity as a male and move towards living authentically as the woman that I truly am. It has a definite start point (when I stopped struggling against the knowledge of who I am) and will have an end-point when I am finally whole.

I do not believe that a "transition" from Male to "Male Plus" (e.g. bloke with boobs) or from Female to "Female Minus" is a sustainable end point even though I respect the right of someone to try to end their transition half way.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

I would guess that the term is dependent on the person using it. To me it was a change from my old life to my new one. It was a complete change from male to female and it was a process. I am now complete with mine, legally, medically, and socially.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Donnagirl View Post
    Transition is the process of change...
    This.

When you go on a trip, when does it begin? When you arrive at the destination? When you begin driving? Or when you simply decide that you're going?

My transition began when I decided not to live the life I had been living, although in a tangible sense nothing had changed. Transition was the catalyst for change and the vehicle by which all the visible and physical changes were made possible.
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back keep me here to wait for me so I don't go back out and miss myself when I return.

In the case of a mtf ts person, to transition means to change your gender role to live as a female

Live as a female means different things to different people but at a bare minimum the standard is permanent, social and legal change..

Things like hormones and surgeries are things we do to enhance our quality of life as women. They are not our transition, nor do they make us women.

Transition is totally independent of clothes.. As a woman, i can wear whatever i want and still be a woman (just like a man but a man is more socially judged for wearing feminine clothes)

Silver Member
    I would have to be a little bit more precise than that, Kaitlyn. While I would agree that gender role transition is the minimum to meet a shorthand use of "transition" for a transsexual, surgeries and hormones are more than quality-of-life issues. They are physical transition in their own right.

I think it best to avoid the use of "transition" in any case in which there is not a role transition. So ( MTF and cross-sex identified only context):

1. SRS (or gonadectomy) only: "sex change"
    2. Hormones only: "on cross sex hormones"
    3. FFS and/or cosmetics only: "surgical feminization"
    4. Role change only: "transition"
    5. Transition as defined plus a subset of procedures: "transition" (still)
    6. Transition as defined plus all possible and needed procedures: "full transition"

I've made a distinction between transition and full transition. I would not invert that, however, to call 4 or 5 partial transitions, or anything like that.
    Lea