Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joining In On Women's Conversations About Clothing At Work

Slip Into Something Femme Piora's Avatar

Joining In On Women's Conversations About Clothing At Work

Not sure if I should be posting this in the Clothing Forum, or here.

Just the other day, I overheard a conversation between two girls that I work with. They were talking about different styles, fashions, shoes and even stockings and pantyhose, and what they liked - and didn't like - to wear. I almost stuck my 2 cents worth in, but stopped myself just in time! I don't think they would have appreciated a man's perspective on women's clothing, since I'm sure they wouldn't think I knew anything about women's styles, and would have wondered why a man was butting in. But I so longed to get in on that discussion, but I know they would have thought it weird, so I didn't say anything. Has this ever happened to anyone else while at work? And you're just dying to contribute to the discussion?
    "Taking the time to be in touch with my feminine side"

Working most of my life in an almost all female working environment, I developed a degree of knowledge about fashion as well as their lives. With that came being comfortable talking about it all, from clothes, to childcare, to periods, relationships, etc.. Often enough talks would bring up questions, which the gals would come to me with asking why would men do stuff. Because as much as women's behavior can be enigmatic to us, our behavior is often equally as confusing to them. So, Piora, just get more involved with the women you work with. Listen to them, and really care about their lives. Sure, it's difficult sometimes, with all the drama stuck in, but when they see that you care, they'll open up, and won't be surprised when you contribute to the conversations about stuff that they think you don't know anything about. If asked, just say that you've been listening to girls talk since you were young, but didn't feel comfortable talking about it. And when you start suggesting fashion choices that you think will make them look good, they'll be even more interested in what you say because it's coming from a viewpoint that they almost never hear. Now get out there and start making some female friends. And have fun!
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

When in the same situation I always add my 2 cents to the conversation. You will know if you are welcome by how they act or say. I have had a number of good conversation with women.

Honestly at one point I did feel that way. Not any more. I jump right in say my piece. Listen to what they say. Converse with them.

Now. Do they think I'm butting in? Don't know. Do they enjoy and appreciate my input? I believe they do. Yes.
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same

Of course I join in, sometimes the questions about my interest get a little close to the mark, and I just smile.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

great advice from "sometimes miss", be natural and all will be well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Silver Member
    I would worry the GGs would feel you are "butting in" on their conversation that they share among themselves. They may also think it is odd that a man knows about womens' fashion and take it the wrong way. Not to mention talking about appearances and how people dress (no matter how complete and obviously innocent it is) can be a landmine in the wrong type of work environment. Silly, but that is the way it is nowadays with everyone so hypersensitive and all.

Not once in my life have I ever been challenged by a woman for joining in a conversation in a bad way.

It's more about confidence, self security, and not taking yourself so seriously.

Go ... enjoy .... talk ....

And you know what ..... there have been times someone has said .... you know waaaaaaay to much about XYZ I bet you like wearing them.

Ladies I'm just going to come out you all know I have a whole wardrobe full of the stuff .... I use them to hide the human skin weave I'm making.

But seriously you should come over next week and have a make over with me ... I have some new lotion.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    A former associate and I would discuss women's fashion all the time. She loved the fact that I appreciated her style. I could identify what she was wearing all the time. Betsey Johnson, Mod Cloth, Bettie Page. I loved it all. And, being modeled everyday by a cute sexey thirty something was such a treat. When she moved on, I gave her a picture of our crew in a frame. Later on, I sent her an email instructing her to open the frame and look behind the crew picture. Her response, "OMG! I knew you were a crossdresser! That's so cool! Your secret is safe with me."

Attachment 247642
    Last edited by CarlaWestin; 07-31-2015 at 07:20 AM.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Platinum Member
    Hi Piora, Guilty as charged, I too have joined in on women's conversations .
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Reality Check
    I don't think I would join their conversation unless I was invited to. Besides, I wouldn't want them to wonder why I know so much about women's clothing.

Why would/should our gender prevent us from politely joining a conversation with the opposite gender? Granted, they might be surprised our knowledge base is more than they anticipated, but what's wrong with that? Do we want to reinforce an age old stereotype with our silence, or share our knowledge, expand their horizons, and mutually enjoy the discussion? Considering how many men have made their fame and fortune designing/creating women's fashions, and considering how many of us have been in serious relationships with women most of our adult life, why would we not have something to contribute to the discussion?

Karen

That's one part of life I want to add to my dressing, having gal pals to talk shop with. Often when I'm at the bar with friends and some of the girls go off for a chat or whatever they get up to I wish I would be invited.

I did get to have a conversation the other day with one of my friends about clothes and it felt great.

Sarahx
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

I began by complimenting the girls at work on their attire and especially their latest hair style. Compliments open the door to conversation. Every girl wants to be complimented on her latest choice. Before you know it your part of the conversation.
    Live and let dress.

Silver Member
    I am too oblivious to recall if I've ever stepped over the line in conversation, but don't think so. And yes have had minor discussions about clothing and fashion.

I do remember one conversation at a friends house where I was talking to the women, and the guys were in the other room. This one lady (who has a more negative outlook in general), said something like, "Hey why don't you go and hang out with the guys. This is the girls conversation." Well I must have given her a funny look, because all the other girls, we're like "No, M***, you can stay right here." They've known me for many years longer than the other one, and are good friends. I'm not out to them. Other than that one Halloween.
    Last edited by Meghan4now; 07-07-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Seems like I hear a lot of women talking about clothes. I respond maybe ten percent of the time.

There is nothing wrong if you just discuss about cloths, it all depends on case to case.

Oh so wish I could be part of those discussions! When i had in the past, whether at work or out with friends, it usually got me ousted from the conversation by just hanging on too long. Missed some cues that my company was not part of that but there has been time where inclusion to be a least an active listener was ok.

~Char
    "Little darling, the smiles are returning to the faces. Little darling, it feels like years since its been here. .... Here come the sun... - George Harrison "Here Comes the Sun"

Slip Into Something Femme Piora's Avatar
    Well....some very interesting responses. I enjoyed reading all of them. I actually work in very close proximity to the 2 women I was referring to (one very young, and another somewhat older) and because I have an excellent relationship with both of them, they would not be offended if I said something regarding what they were discussing. Sadly, I think I missed an opportunity, because they usually talk about work-related stuff, or other things, and not clothes so much (at least when I've been nearby) I do get to discuss clothing with my daughter (whom I am out to) and that is an avenue for me, as I just long to talk about that with someone. I actually gave my daughter an unopened pair of hold-up stockings the other day. I had bought 2 pairs, but they didn't stay up very well on me. And so we discussed whether she liked wearing them, or preferred pantyhose. So, I do get to have some discussion. And of course, I enjoy the feedback I get from the other members on here.
    "Taking the time to be in touch with my feminine side"

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I've never joined in such a conversation, but I would love to sometme.

Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

Quote Originally Posted by Vickie_CDTV View Post
    They may also think it is odd that a man knows about womens' fashion and take it the wrong way.
    Mmmm, not so much. Women love to chat, and tell you about stuff and their experiences. Like anyone else, they like to feel like an expert so when they get to talk about something they know (or think they know) they enjoy talking about it. You just have to ask the right questions and follow up with discussion, you can't just ask question after question or it becomes 'old' real fast.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Piora,

I would not consider it a missed opportunity. Rather, a chance to have done your research. That research was conducted here. Now, you are armed with reassurances that you entering into the conversation can be a success. The technique was not touched upon much here though.

I used to be a supervisor at a very large company that had a fast paced work floor. There was a great mix of personalities. The women typically stayed together and the men even more so. The men were also more "clicky" than the women and it was almost an even mix of both sides, (22/24 M/F). I HAD to be able to work with both genders and I think being "somewhere in the middle" of the gender spectrum helped. The technique I found that worked well was not to butt in as a man would. Instead, offer your point of view. Men tend to jump right in and say things like,"Well, that's not right. It should be like..." Women tend to be more sensitive to each others viewpoint, "Hmmm... I find that interesting but it isn't for me. Who am I to judge? If someone likes it then, so be it!" Keep listening, make mental notes and when the time comes again, interject but be sure to reassure the ladies that you are speaking from your point of view and that you respect them for theirs. Ditch the male overtones and use softer words but don't go too efiminate either, emasculating men is not your objective and it is also counter productive to developing the relationship you seem to want. After they realize that you are not a typical male threat the conversations should expand to almost every topic imaginable. A peace on the work floor will evetnually set in that anyone can bring up any topic and not worry about starting a conversation and offending someone.

You could slide into the conversation by saying, "Excuse me ladies. I can't help hearing about XYZ and I was wondering if it would be alright if I could add a little from another perspective here?" First, you are acknowledging that it is THEIR conversation and you are asking for permission to join in, men typically jump right in--remeber? Second, you are being submissive by asking if you could join and by saying that you would like to "add a little" to the conversation, as they are the professionals in the subject at hand. It has worked for me but it took a whole lot of practice and I had over 20 women to experiment these tactics with.

Best of luck,
    -Erika
    Last edited by Erika Lyne; 07-25-2015 at 08:47 PM.
    **Just trying to happily be me.**

Hugs!
    -E

Good advice, Erika.

My workplace is about 90% women; been that way for a decade now. There is pretty much no "womens' chat" I have not been party to at this point. Be respectful, don't be a jerk, and gauge your interactions to some degree based on how the other women are acting. It's a good way to learn how to interact with women, honestly.

I usually tell the ladies they look nice or I like the outfit or hair. It nearly always brings a smile to their faces and helps make their day. A couple times I have been asked how I know so much about ladies wear, I just tell them I know what I think looks good on ladies. It has always worked.
    But the other day I was buying a summer dress for my wife ,when the SA started teasing me. I see her at the store quite often where my wife and I shop and we are comfortable with each other. She said, "you're buying this for you... it's too long for your wife. she said I should try it on to make sure it fits. I buy some of my wifes' clothes quite often and she loves them. She says I have good taste, of course Honey, I married you.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Had a really good conversation with two 30 somethings at Kohl's one day in the womens section.
    They were shopping as a pair and I was looking at skirts and tops.
    I overheard them trying to decide on a top and if was too frumpy to wear with jeans.
    They looked over at me with a few skirts wrapped over my arm. The one lady says well lets ask him and see what he thinks.I was in 50/50 mode so they probably thought lets ask this gay guy could help because they do know fashion LOL
    They did and I mentioned that top would look cute with some low cut jeans but not so well with Mom jeans.
    They giggled and said OMG you are so right.
    I said you could try that top with this skirt if you want, the dressing room is right there.
    She took the skirt I had on my arm and off to the dressing room she went.
    They both approved and they thanked me for my opinion.
    Always ask before you join in or oblige if they ask you to join in.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 07-25-2015 at 09:38 PM.