Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worried about your height?

I'm the same height as you are, and I happily go out nightclubbing in 3" or 4" heels, occasionally in inch and a half to two inch wedgies or kitten heels, and only usually switch to flats when my feet are tired from dancing in heels too long. My legs look nicer in heels, and I love wearing them when I go out to dance at my favorite nightclub.

That being said, if I was going to a mall or grocery store, I would probably wear what the other girls wear - sneakers, lower shooties or boots, etc. . Not so much to be less tall, but because wearing heels in a casual environment like that would be conspicuous and out of place. I haven't yet gone out to that sort of public places en-femme, but I've been carefully observing what the GG's wear and how they walk and act, so when I do, I can blend in successfully.

When I was in college, I dated a girl who was just as tall and big-boned as I was. I knew another girl who was happily married and a good four inches taller than me in her stocking feet. While we may be at the high end of the scale compared to GG's, you and I are still well within the range that normal genetic girls reach in terms of height.

So my thought on the matter is we should do what any tall GG does. Wear what we like, and what is appropriate to the place and time of day, and just own the fact that we are taller than average. If someone remarks on our height, just smile, and reply, "Why yes, I do realize how tall I am. Everyone in my family is rather tall." And then go on about your way, and don't let it bother you.

Aspiring Member
    In Seattle in the 80's there was a club called Tip Toppers, of which a lady friend of mine was a member. Minimum height to belong: for men - 6'4", for women 6'0. There is a CA club still active.

Ineke

Aspiring Member
    Believe or not but there are tall natural women out there that wear heels. Just because we are tall doesn't mean we can't wear heels. I for one love them and I am 6'-5" without heels.

Let's all just get out on the town in our heels. It would be cool to have a posse of six foot plus ladies on the street. Who would bother us? They'd all be scared. Lol
    Candi
    Perfection Is a Road Not a Destination

I have yet to venture out into the vanilla world, but not because my just over 6 ft height is holding me back. My outlook coincides with the "own it" and "give them something to look at" thoughts previously expressed. Height is just one of many tell tale signs we're not GG's, that I've come to accept. I've yet to master walking in a shoe with more than a 4 inch heel, so that would be my personal limit.

Karen

If only dreams came true. susancheerleader's Avatar
    I am worried about my height. 6'1"
    However. At my work place we have an 18 year old hostess. I literally have to look UP to her a little. This girl is probably 6'3" She looks great! So my 6'1" can't be bad.
    Last edited by susancheerleader; 07-09-2015 at 01:23 PM.

Being 5'11" myself I was very concerned about this when I began venturing out into the "real world". I feared that everyone would stare because of my height and the added rise of my heels (typically 3").

Well, Yes, they would stare, they would see me as unusually tall as most women are not my height. But I got over it ! I learned that if I wanted to be accepted in public I had to be confident about myself and that included my height in heels. I had to hold my head up high, smile and just be me.
    It works ! The confidence exuded is absorbed by those that encounter you and offsets that initial, "wow, she's tall".
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Wow, Sandie, I am six foot six barefoot! I werar size 15 or 16 womens shoes, huge feet and hands, no female voice, face give aways, and have not found any flats or one inch heeels my size yet! My lowest heels are 2 1/2", which make me six foot eight and a half, and about six foot ten with high hair wig. I live in a small town area, with almost no tall women at all, but many around five foot two to five foot six. So, i TOWER over most men, and all the women around here!! So, i simply do not go out much, period, as i am quite paranoid, super sensitive to what people are thinking, saying, and doing, too. I love the way very long legs look in hose and heels, though, and i am sure i would stop traffic, if strutting them down a cross walk.
    Last edited by Alice Torn; 07-10-2015 at 04:47 PM.

I'm 6'6'' in my bare feet and love 3-4''heels. Yes, I (unfortunately) stick out like the proverbial sore thumb but I still go out.
    Joni

Banned Read only
    I have 2 friends, GG sisters, who are 6'8". They never worry about what shoes they are going to wear. They just put them on and go. I am 6ft. with 4" heels, 6'4". I do not worry about height. I own it! If you have a problem with it, that is too bad. Oh, the boys love it too.

At 5'7", height isn't much of a concern to me, but if I were out and about with some of you, I would be the one that sticks out lol.

I'm 6' 2", used to be 6' 3", but old age is taking it's toll. I have a pair of 2" heels that work quite nicely for me. Even though they are not very tall, they give the feet the proper look, in addition to making my size 15 (women's) feet look smaller. I have a pair of 2" wedges that are easier to walk in, and a pair of flats, but they seem to make my feet look much bigger than the other two.

I have always liked being tall , so I don't worry about what others think, I'm sure that tall women attract attention and I'm OK with that. I've got a daughter that is 6' and likes to wear platform shoes so that she is taller than I am!

Hugs, Bria

Quote Originally Posted by Christyna View Post
    Let's all just get out on the town in our heels. It would be cool to have a posse of six foot plus ladies on the street. Who would bother us?...
    I've done just that. A few months ago a group of a dozen or so CDers, along with our spouses met for dinner at a new upscale steakhouse. The restaurant was jammed and our table wasn't ready so there was a gaggle of 6-foot-plus ladies in evening wear, including heels, waiting in the bar. All the seating was taken, so we did stand out, but we looked fabulous!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

At six two there was a time when my height frightened me and made me think I could never go out. Then, one day, I was in a mall and passed, independently, not one but two beautiful ggs exactly my height. And I began going out. I've never had a problem. Am I clocked sometimes? Honestly I expect I am. Do I care? Not in the slightest. Why? Because we have every bit as much right to walk around freely as does anyone else. There are many of us. So many. The sooner we begin stepping out en masse, proudly walking through the world as trans women, whether CD or TS, unafraid to be who we are, the sooner people will start treating us as "normal". The world is not binary. If we cower like we are ashamed then we proclaim we have something to be ashamed of. If we own who we are proudly then average vanilla people will begin to realize we are just as worthy of a "normal" life as anyone else.
    I know girls who pass easily and will not go out with those who do not. They remind me of light skinned Aftican Americans who "passed" as white during the days of segregation. They only perpetuate a damaged and cruel status quo. I go anywhere anytime with any girl "passable" or not. Let the vanilla world get used to a new reality. We exist.
    At least, that's my story....and I'm sticking to it! My "give a crap" is broken. Lol
    Every fear that held me back, when faced, has proven to be hollow.
    Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to ignore it.
    It's your life. Make it count.

The non-GG next door.... Candice Mae's Avatar
    Wow, I feel tiny at 5'6" but I'm not a normal male.

Aspiring Member
    I'm 5ft 5 without heels, and even among Singaporean women I'm actually quite tall; the fact that I like short skirts and thigh-high stockings doesn't help this matter in the slightest. (That said, the tallest student in my class in junior college was a GG, standing at at least 6ft.) However, on this site I feel dwarfed

I wish I was shorter.
    I am 5-11 1/2" and wear flats most of the times I am out.

Every once in a while I do wear my 3" black boots.
    Wish I could wear them more often.

I'm 6'5 and used to worry about it but i'm at the point i'm ok with it and don't worry about it. I more worry about my voice honestly.

Tina G
    I don't believe in pessimism. If something doesn't come up the way you want, forge ahead. If you think it's going to rain, it will.

I'm almost 6'1" in my bare feet but I love wearing 3-4" heels. Does it mean that I'm more likely to be 'read'? I suppose so. But then again, the facts that I'm built like a rugby forward and have a fairly deep voice and don't pass at less than 20 feet might be even more of a giveaway! After years of fretting I've finally realised, if you're our height, love heels and want to not be stuck inside a hotel room etc. then either own it or resign yourself to growing an ulcer! I refuse to grow an ulcer!

Just as an aside... A few days ago I bumped into a the lady who taught me German at school - and had to look UP to maintain eye contact - 6'1" plus 3" heels! She always did tower over us!
    Last edited by Judith96a; 07-10-2015 at 07:38 AM.

I'm about 5'10 and my height doesn't bother me much, there's lots of GGs out there who're my height or taller and look very feminine.
    Last edited by irene9999; 07-10-2015 at 03:07 PM.

Two observations:

4" heels do not make you 4" taller. Due to the geometry of your ankles you only gain 2-1/2 or 3 inches.

There isn't a whole lot we can do about it anyway, so the best path is to stop worrying and get on with enjoying life!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Platinum Member

It's Mind Over Matter !

Hi Sandie, That's what you call Mind over matter, If you don't mind then it doesn't matter.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

5'11'' here. I actually work with several women taller than I am and they look fantastic when they wear high heels. So, not so worried about my height.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin414 View Post
    OK back on topic...let's face it, tall women are attractive and how many short models have you seen?
    Very true. Models are usually tall, and tall women (even if they're not models) are usually attractive. Being tall also gives you another huge advantage. We have more clothing options than short women. Clothes that might not look so great on a short woman might look great on a tall woman. We also have options for wearing skirts or dresses of any length and looking great in them.

It's totally ok for tall women to wear heels.

I'm 6 foot tall and I used to be conscious of my height. My dad and brother told me that I'll always be obviously trans because of my height. Someone posted on another thread that my height is a huge liability.

That is total nonsense. I personally know a 6 foot tall woman. The other day in the store, I saw a woman who looked my height, and she was wearing flats. We looked at each other and smiled. I don't know if she clocked me or not. I wondered if she was trans because of her height, but she looked very passable and very attractive. And she probably wasn't trans, just another tall woman shopping like any other woman would.

I actually have come to love my height, and the fact that I can pull off lots of nice outfits.

I would worry more about your weight than your height. Not just for looking more attractive or for being more passable. Losing weight has several advantages.

1. You will actually have more options in women's clothing. I am 6 foot tall and weight 179 pounds. I have lost about 7 pounds since I started HRT. Even before HRT, at 186, I was able to find women's clothes that fit me in regular stores. Nice dresses, tops, and skirts. In stores like Target, Sears, Ross Dress for Less, JC Penney, Macy's, Steinmart. Well Steinmart might be local to my area, but the other stores are all national chains. A few years ago, I weighed 233, and it was WAY harder for me to find anything unless it was from a plus sized specialty shop or a CD specialty shop. Losing weight gives you WAY more options in clothing.

2. Losing weight also benefits you health wise. So many health problems like diabetes, high cholesterol, heart disease, and more, are caused or exacerbated by being overweight. If you haven't progressed too far into an illness, you can reverse it or control it, or completely prevent it, by losing weight.

3. Losing weight will make you look more attractive, as it does for any woman or man. Yes, you'll look more attractive even in male mode.

4. Losing weight will help you to pass better. Most tall women are also thin.

Now looking at the CDC stats was really scary. This means that nearly half of all men and women are obese, and that most people are overweight. I recently made it into the "normal weight" category recently.
    Last edited by Michelle789; 07-10-2015 at 09:12 PM.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin414 View Post
    Hi Sandie, short answer...not in the least! For me, it's my voice hands down, I DREAD being approached especially by guys because I can't speak and it happens so damn often I only go out where I think no one will try to start a conversation....OK back on topic...let's face it, tall women are attractive and how many short models have you seen? Must be something in the water but women are generally getting taller as well. I was out with a GG friend last night and in heals she was taller than me and I'm 6'1" flat footed (she used to be an occadional 'wanna be' model as well)😉
    My Secret Conversation Foil:
    Try going out wearing ear buds/ear phones - as if you are lisenting to music/iPod - easy to ignore them or "wave them off" with just a smile so as not to need to respond.