Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dressing to fit in or stand out?

Question Dressing to fit in or stand out?

This last weekend I went out with one of my friends here to a nearby restaurant. She wore a somewhat short skirt and (very) red hair, while I wore a black and white print dress, wedges and a wig that matched my natural hair color. We chatted about how so very different we are in terms of clothing choices. For her, she likes standing out and getting attention, while I always try to blend in. I joked that there could be more people like me, but if they are really good, you would never know!

Do you dress up to blend in or to stand out?

Most definitely dress with intention to blend as best I can. Were I much younger and with a figure that could carry it off however, I might tend more toward stand out!

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    Jennifer,

It depends on the situation...

Out shopping with the wife on a Saturday morning - blend
    Out at a huge LBGTI party - stand out and be noticed
    Driving interstate - blend
    Hosting a BBQ at my place - blend, then get too drunk and change... Oops!!!
    Call me Donna, please

Donna, You've said it for me ... except that being a hostess is still on the bucket list...
    Last edited by Lorileah; 07-15-2015 at 03:33 PM. Reason: no needto quote post aboveyours
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

I tend to favor leggings, tights, or whatever shows off my legs. At 61 that might be asking too much lol. I have recently begun purchasing clothes that have a more professional look.

I basically dress the way I want. If it blends in, all fine and good. If not, oh well. I dress for myself not anyone else.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Gone to live my life
    Hi Jennifer,

I prefer to blend in an wear what would be appropriate for the occasion. Now that would not stop me from wearing a bright colored dress to work (which may attract attention) on occasion but generally it is to blend.

Cheers

Isha

Reality Check
    I dress appropriately for my age and the time of day and place. I am trying to look like a typical female doing whatever it is I am doing at the time. I dress to blend in, not to stand out. If I were a young hot chick instead of an old crossdresser, I might dress to stand out.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    As primarily a fantasy dresser, I like my outfits to lean a little to the outrageous. Occasionally, I'll make a real conscious effort to tone it down and truly emulate a female image but, flashy and buxom is just more fun!
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

I tend to wear more formal dresses though subdued. So while my dress is not outrageous, it may attract attention because it is too formal for say, a bar. But, I like hyper feminine dresses.

As was stated in several of the previous posts, I tend to dress more to blend. Like those above, too, if I had the body and were a few years younger it would swing more the other direction.

Neither. I don't dress with a purpose to stand out or blend in. I dress to please the guy looking into the mirror. That's the purpose. The unintended consequence is that I stand out.

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    I just don't care what others are going to wear. If the appearance puts a smile on my face and am comfortable with it then I am ready to enjoy the outing. Sometimes how I dress inspires friends (tg or not) to dress with the same mindset.
    Anyhoo most often than not, I will attract attention in either a blend-in look or a stand out look. Seeing tg and cd people out and about is not common enough to not draw attention. So may as well enjoy what I am wearing and what I am doing! Pleasing others is no concern of mine.
    Last edited by Princess Chantal; 07-14-2015 at 08:33 AM.

Considering the vast majority of women in this region wear some form of pant during their everyday activities outside their home, I would no doubt "stand out" as I prefer to wear skirts or dresses while enjoying the same activities. I also prefer to wear stockings, which would draw further attention as most women here prefer the bare legs look, especially this time of year. I'm not criticizing them or their choices, just noting that my differing choices would make me "stand out."

Karen

Banned Read only
    when i dresss,its dresses,with or without pantyhose depending on the time of day. if i want to wear pants or shorts then its male mode with a little underdressing. my problem is i love dresses and skirts and have the legs to pull it offf.

My favor type of clothes is office outfit and this would make me standout these days with so many in casual wear .

I dress to look nice and to look appropriate to the venue. I'm generally looking to blend in, but not to be invisible. I do tend to wear skirts more often than a lot of younger GG's do these days, but that is because I feel a skirt is more flattering to my body shape. I want to be seen as 'one of the girls', yet be one of the ones that someone looks at and thinks, "Hummm. She looks nice."

Banned Read only
    My wardrobe definitely is to blend. As a senior I only wear dresses and the dresses are appropriate for any woman in her forties or later. None are considered granny dresses. Even with spinal collapse caused by natural aging I'm still six foot. I'm 195 +/- morning weight, although my figure is 42-38-40. The height and general male size is a definite giveaway. "Back in the day" I was 38-32-36, but, six foot two. My height was an attention getter with the girls, but, now....well five foot seven would be great. When I do go out for an evening stroll I like the peace of mind to just go unnoticed.

A little of both.. As I have only recently come out publicly where I live, I'm trying not to be too OTT with outfits at the moment.. jumpsuits are a favourite.. or tailored trousers with a nice top etc.. but if I'm heading out to spend time with friends or have a night out, then it's most definitely stand out time and I didn't buy 27 bodycon dresses for nothing!!!

I'm in your camp, Jennifer. Just because I dress like the other females doesn't mean you can't look classy. I try to buy a level or two up in quality and make sure it's in the theme of where I'm going. Nicer jeans and tops, tailored skirts, etc. make you look nice but not out of place.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

I just want to look like the rest of em.........Debra

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    it depends on where I am going.....if its into the vanilla world its to blend.....and if its like a cd/tg event thats known to be a bit wild you may find me in a tutu and heeled combat boots cause it is just pain fun

Definitely blend in for the venue and keep it stylish for the attention in a nonchalant way, why ask for trouble? there are some out there that do not accept our lifestyle and may act upon it. That is to say I don't live in fear but use common sense in my outings.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Definitely a blender by desire, if only it were a genuine possibility .

The many years of testosterone have shaped my features and stature to that of the average male, capable of being spotted from a mile with ease. Trying to lose weight (18lbs so far) to drop a dress size as a first goal, as I come off of my meds. Hopefully, I won't have my man pod as another clue to my real gender.

Rebecca

I dress both ways. I do like to be seen where Im excepted, but want to blend in where Im not excepted..
    Carpe Noctem

Cheyenne Hyde

"You may never exceed, your own expectations, of yourself"

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/MsHyde2u/library/
    (the password is feminine)