Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One step foward and then confused again!

Woman first, Trans second
    I read the article, and while I could certainly be misinterpreting things, I don't think the correct conclusion to draw from it is that women experience autogynephilia as described in the original study. I think the correct conclusion to draw is that the methodology (questions) used by the original study are not a good/reliable indicator of the proposed condition, and concordantly the composition of responses to the original survey is not unique to the population as originally suggested.

AFAICT none of the questions specifically address cross-sex or female bodied fantasies, merely stereotypically feminine grooming and attire. I do agree with Reine that the condition, approximately as originally described, is almost certainly present in the CD population (and likely with a fairly high rate of incidence).
    Coming out is like discovering that you've been drowning your whole life after actually breathing air for the first time.

Banned Read only
    The correct conclusion is that Blanchard never bothered to test to see if women were classified as autogynephiliac in his survey and hypothesis. That the construct of AGP doesn't really seem like a paraphilia, and that this isn't phenomenon isn't a good predictor of transition in MtF's. And of course women aren't experiencing a paraphilia that makes then fantasize about their female bodies. The point is that most likely, neither are MtF's. Given that we have evidence now showing the structural similarities between the brains of cis women and MtF trans, we have a much more plausible idea about why we experience these feelings and the origin of gender dysphoria. We fantasize about having female bodies because our brains are wired this way.

Blanchard's theory fails on many levels, including it's inability to differentiate between female attracted MtF's and cisgender women.

To conclude "ok obviously it's wrong for cis women, but dang it's right on for trans!" is just laziness and intellectual dishonesty. A central tenant of Blanchard's theory and methods fails to match his prediction. This really calls the whole theory into question. (Aside from the fact that Blanchard totally disregards MtF's who are attracted to females who express ZERO signs of AGP. I know a number of such people.)

My opinion is that all of us who transition, and most of the MtF CD's on the forum here are experiencing some degree of gender dysphoria, and this, plus testosterone in their systems, drives these fantasies. That is, I don't believe these fantasies are the cause of transition, but rather are a byproduct of having a fully or partially feminized brain under the influence of T.