Thread: Starting with a new thearapist

Starting with a new thearapist

I'm starting with a new therapist this week for depression. Should I just come right out and mention the crossdressing on the first meeting or wait a few sessions?

Gwendolyn

Straight out. And tell them anything, and everything else. They can't help you if they don't know.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

Banned Read only
    Yes, you should tell them exactly what brings you there to see them. This is what you need help with. They are therapist not mind readers.

Silver Member
    You need to be truthful and hold nothing back. If you mention something and you get a bad vibe, find a new therapist. As Jorga put it, they can't read your mind. Good luck!

Banned Read only
    Remember the old computer programmer's saying:

Garbage In, Garbage Out

I think the corollary would be:

Nothing In, Nothing Out

Good Luck and continued progress,

DeeAnn

Banned Read only
    Absolutely, they get paid to help people and need all of the information to do their job well!

I am in agreement. I have been in some kind of therapy (psychotherapy or bodymind therapy) on and off for 40 years. It works to great benefit when I am as honest as I know how to be about everything I know about myself and my experience. It does not work very well when I am hiding. At the very minimum, let the practitioner know that there are secrets you need to be honest about, but are not yet ready to share fully. Build relationship, make a plan, and tell the truth as you are able......peace and good luck, St. Eve

Gone to live my life
    Hi Gwinnie,

I agree with the others . . . the only way a therapist can help you, is for you to be up front. Now I am not sure if the CDing is the root cause of your depression but the therapist should know about it so she/he can make a proper determination of where to invest time during therapy.

Cheers and good luck

Isha

yes, it's really important. Depression has many possible causes, often actually aligned with "being in the wrong job/profession/marriage/.../clothes/BODY" and so on!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

I know I'm in the wrong job. Can't seem to find the right one. Don't even know what the right one is. But nothing is enjoyable. I have a 5 month old son and he's just irritating. I think he would be better off if I didn't interact with him much. turns out I might not get to anyway since I have to pick up a 2nd job. I can't even find one I like. Now I have to get a 2nd.

Gwendolyn

Quote Originally Posted by Gwinnie View Post
    I'm starting with a new therapist this week for depression. Should I just come right out and mention the crossdressing on the first meeting or wait a few sessions?

Gwendolyn
    I chose a counselor that is LGBT friendly and told her right away.
    Seeing as I'm closeted, Leah is present at every session and allows me to be more open and transparent.
    While at the same time it allows me to enjoy being Leah and the excitement it brings. She allows me to change in her office while she goes to the restroom or something.
    It's really great and she asks very tough questions about Leah...I learn a lot about me in those sessions, not to mention she lets me wear daring outfits so I've worn stockings and short dresses, wore pajama pants and t-shirt. She is great.

Banned Read only
    Gwinnie,
    There's no point in holding back, these people are professional and here to help you, help yourself and give them the full story !

My GP queried a long term use of Prozac when he had to check back in my old written records , I told him they were prescribed because of my CDing and an incident where I nearly ended my own life as a consequence . He thanked me that I put him totally in the picture , he now knows that my CDing and associated depression have to be dealt with in a serious manner and it's not something of a whim where I occasionally get dolled up ! He's put me through general counselling to check my suicidal thoughts have gone. The added bonus is that I've manged to come out to my son which has helped my wife in the process. I'm now going onto gender therapy to hopefully get some answers to my deep feelings I've always had about a female side of me !
    Last edited by Teresa; 07-21-2015 at 03:14 PM.

Banned Spammer
    Depression is life threatening - I think a number of people here can confirm that, including me. Treat it as such. I got very lucky; an angel descended. Had I given into the depression, I would have never known and died in miserable conflict. it's just not worth it. Be the screaming, outrageous tranny of the month if that is what you really need, Nothing at all wrong with it - I'm sure people here would help you in the process. Be yourself - when it gets too much trying to be everyone else, you is what you ultimately have to come back to - so own it. The neat part is you get to die in your own skin, so definition is pretty much up to you. Depression is tragically nasty, and will physically debilitate you as fast a a heart condition. In my case, I woke up one morning and thought, "A great pair of ankles is a terrible thing to waste."

Careful I bite <3
    Unless moral issues get in the way they should be relatively supportive about your identity.

In the end you need to find a therapist you feel comfortable with, and the more open you are to them the more likely you two will be able to feel each other out. Less time waisted.