Thread: Obsevations from a hiatus from being myself.

Obsevations from a hiatus from being myself.

My daughter and granddaughter lived with us for the last 4 months.
    After about 15 years of being myself, well, this was interesting.
    The thing I missed most was not being shaved. The hair just came back with a vengeance. Realized how much I can't stand it anymore.

The love of my life said, about 2 months into this, how much she missed me. This was unexpected and very heartbreaking. She really likes me for who I am.

Betty

Silver Member
    Betty,

You should be able to be you even with the progeny under roof, at least to some extent. Shave for goodness sake! Better yet, if your SO is good with it and finances can afford it think about more permanent solutions. Your body hair is no one else's business, and I don't imagine that you run your household as a nudist colony. Even so, would they really care if you were hairless?

Second, I get that you may not want to present or dress in front of them. Maybe a touchstone or token item can sooth the desire. Kind of the whole point for underdressing.

I know it's easy to say, but you do have your SO support and really the little things are likely more of a non-issue than you imagine. Also remember this is your home and the daughter and granddaughter are there by your grace. I don't suggest being selfish, but put it in perspective.

Lastly and importantly do what is comfortable for you. Are you comfortable now?

Betty, having family move in is a game changer on a lot of levels, but it shouldn't make you abandon all of the things that are you. I'm sure your daughter and granddaughter saw you before they moved in. Weren't you shaved then? Did they say anything to anybody or you? Probably not, so go ahead an shave with out worry. Find ways to have private time, even if it means taking a weekend out of the area. My mother in law moved in around 2000 and I did not change anything I was doing, just how I was doing it. For 3 years I adapted and adjusted. So find ways to be yourself and still express your love for your daughter and granddaughter by letting them share your home.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Since you say your daughter and granddaughter lived with you, I presume it's over now? If so, congratulations! Like the others, I'd suggest that if a similar thing happens, you should give yourself more slack. Especially in the shaving department -- personal grooming is, well, personal. Nobody's well being depends on you being hairy. And it sounds like accommodating your children disaccommodated your wife as well as yourself.

Betty, after conversations with You I know Your a caring and wonderful person. Keep that smile on Your face. Hugs Roberta
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I know how you feel, currently my daughter and granddaughter are living with me and my wife. I don't get the time to be Dusty like I would want to, but in order for them to get ahead in life and be happy I have let Dusty go further in the closet. I do however still maintain my clean shaved appearance but then again I have never been very "hairy" at all so to speak. My wife and I still shop for clothes together, I just have very little chance to dress. What I do is really look forward to the times when they are happy in their lives and successful, then I will have more Dusty time and it will be great.

Platinum Member
    It's tough, I know. I've had a couple of boomerang kids off and on. I finally came out to my youngest because I was not able to assure that I might have an accidental outing. She was a grown up about it and proved to be very understanding and supportive.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt