Thread: What age is considered young and old to transition

What age is considered young and old to transition

I just read the thread called "Transition because you have to" and it was talking about advice given to younger people. Another question I have is what is considered to be a younger transitioner versus an older transitioner?

A younger transitioner is defined as someone who transitions early enough to

- get minimal effects of testosterone poisoning
    - get the best effects of HRT and likely to look more like a cisgender woman
    - have lived the minimal amount of time as a man
    - have lived most or the majority of her life as a woman
    - more tomorrows as a woman than yesterdays as a man.
    - have dealt with minimal male socialization - learns female socialization easy as a result
    - typically never married and has no children
    - never had the experience of being a father - could be mother through adoption
    - little invested in their career as a man
    - fewer connections to their past as a man
    - going stealth is a viable option because they will likely pass as women and have few connections to their male past

An older transitioner is defined as someone who transitions late enough in life to

- get higher testosterone poisoning effects so that it can be difficult or impossible to reverse
    - gets less benefit of HRT and likely to retain male features
    - lived a lot of her life as a man
    - enjoy fewer days of her life as a woman
    - more yesterdays as a man than tomorrows as a woman
    - has much male socialization to unlearn, and can be really difficult to unlearn it
    - often married and has children - children will likely still view you as their father
    - invested way to much in their career as a man
    - has many connections to their past as a man
    - has the experience of being a father
    - going stealth is generally not in the cards because either you are unable to pass as a woman or you have too many ghosts of your male past

So my question is, what age is considered the cutoff between old and young transitioners? Perhaps there should be a third category of "mid" transitioner. Here are some traits of these "mid" transitioners.

- gets enough testosterone poisoning, yet young enough to potentially get good HRT results
    - HRT results are really a crapshoot - the luck of the genetic lottery determines your chance to pass as a cisgender woman
    - has a decent amount of male past, but still has plenty of days as a woman ahead.
    - more tomorrows as a woman than yesterdays as a man
    - has a lot of male socialization to unlearn, but still has a chance to unlearn it
    - may or may not be married or have children
    - may or may not have experience as a father
    - likely has started a career, but may be early enough to either find a new career or to advance in existing career as a woman
    - has significant connenctions to male past
    - going stealth is questionable since passing is questionable and leaving your male past is not completely possible

So, everyone, what age ranges would you define for each group? Do you agree with my assessment of the circumstances surrounding your transition? Perhaps it's not truly black and white, but rather a spectrum that varies with age.

I believe it's a spectrum, with the odds of passing and going stealth decreasing as you get older. However, as I have seen from real life experience, I personally know of three later transitioners who pass really well. They started their transitions at 46, 50, and 58 respectively. Each of them has a significant male past, and two of them fathered children. All three have had other people suggest to them that they go stealth, although none of them have gone stealth yet.

I would say as for age ranges.

Young transitioner: Start transition by 25

Mid transitioner: Start transition between 25 and 45

Late transitioner: Start transition after 45

I might also add that genetics and personality effect your chance of passing and going stealth. The three late transitioners who pass and have a possibility of goings stealth happen to be genetically blessed and scored as "NF" on the MBTI.
    Last edited by Michelle789; 07-21-2015 at 09:32 PM.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Silver Member
    I think anyone who transitions under the age of majority is a young transitioner. Anyone else is late.
    Lea

Banned Read only
    Young = before puberty
    You are only too old to transition when you are dead. This applies to any age.

Attempting to nail down exact ages is a fairly futile task. Every individual is different so the ages of the suggested categories will vary widely.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    If we accept the OP's three categories, then I would say that a young transitioner is someone who transitions at a young age, a late transitioner transitions later in life and a mid transitioner is somewhere in between.

Beyond that, I don't see any advantage in tying it down to ages. People will transition when they need to.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

I am late one,, To many years of fighting it off,, Times are changing for sure,, You couldn't do it here 10 years ago,, That's mostly the problem. Lack of education and ignorance. Now days there are Many More advantages out there,, But guess what,, There will just be something else that no one can do or won't do.

So I am Happy as Hell to Finally be Happy to be myself for whatever time I have left. An to all that think we got screwed for having to wait so long,, I think we were pretty lucky in a way, We have the best of both worlds now,, Half Man and Half Woman so pick the good parts and chunk the rest is what I am doing .

There are no rules in Transition, So since it's so new I think I will make up my own as I go along,, See I told you it wasn't that bad,,lol,,,

So don't feel sorry for us we did it our way,, An will pioneer this movement till they stick us in the ground and then Who Cares !!!