Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming out/Clearing the air letter/Having the talk with mom

Coming out/Clearing the air letter/Having the talk with mom

Hey everyone

There is a merged thread in this as well as various comments with updates so ive tried to tidy them all up into one:

***Original Post***

If you have followed my posts and threads over the last few months you'll have seen that I rejoined the forums in January, I uploaded my first picture(and many since) I've come out to my friends and my sister, I had my first outdoor experience(LGBT pride no less) and that I've matured and grown an awful lot, the one thing I can't get past though is not being open to my mom, I came out to her about 6 years ago but it basically me just telling her I crossdressed and that was sort of it and it was never mentioned again except once where she said I was just confused, she has seen some of my girl clothes in my room, make up etc since, especially in these last few months but I don't know if she is ignoring it or waiting on me to say something, either way I feel I HAVE to say something because it's really bothering me and with college I'm going to be stuck at home for the next 3 years at least, I can't however bring myself to talk to her, I've tried but I just chicken out at the last minute so I've typed this letter in thinking of giving her and just wanted some feed back on it if you don't mind reading:

"Hi I was hoping to talk to you the other day about something but I wasn't feeling up to it in the end. Really I was more afraid to because I'm not good at talking about myself or any problems and I didn't want to ruin things and felt it easier to let it slide, as well as you and joe are always really busy or Niamh, grace or Luke have some issue and I didn't want to lump more fuel on the fire and then the times you seem free for a chat I can't pluck up the courage.
    What I wanted to talk about I spoke to you about a few years ago but I feel I didn't explain myself very well then and that things didn't go as I had hoped, I've also grown since that time, what I told you then was that I crossdressed but I know now that I am transgendered, which is just an umbrella term but I feel that I am bi gendered/gender fluid which means that I identify with both genders.
    The majority of days I feel male and identify as such as any other male person would but other days, and sometimes even the same day I identify as female and wish to present as such. I don't know why that is, my guess is just some poor luck with chemistry in the brain but I didn't choose it, I didn't ask for it but I didn't always feel that way either however. When I was around 12 or so I started wanting to present as female at times and didn't know why, or that it was a thing, it just felt 'fun' to do it.
    When I was 15 I felt I was the only person like that, and for a long time I refused to accept it and did my best to ignore it.
    I discovered that their was other people with the same thing but I still felt alone and that's when I began wanting to tell someone because I wanted help trying to deal with it but I still couldn't ask because I thought I was just messed up and it would all go away.
    When I was 19 I think, I told you because I thought about it more often at that point and I was trying to discover myself and I really needed support but I also didn't know who I was, I saw Sean and Gavin admit that they were gay and they to metaphorically put it "ticked a box" and were happy with their choice where as I didn't know which box I was supposed to tick and felt I wanted to keep changing my choice, I was born male and live as a male but I feel pulled towards being female some of the time and it really just confused me so much.
    The reason why I am saying this now, while I could continue hiding it until the time I get to move out and it wouldn't be an issue is that it makes me feel miserable hiding, that I can't move around in my home until everyone has gone to bed or that I have to lock my door for privacy to escape or that when I get in from work I can't dress the way I feel at the time because I'll have to change back shortly after come dinner time or if I buy some clothes I have to sneak them in or lie about what they are and then hide it in my room as if I was doing drugs.
    Originally as I said I was hoping for help, but I want to think I've moved past that for the most part to now where I am just looking for some acceptance, I want to be able to be what I feel when I feel it, I'm not naive on that though either, I understand when it is appropriate and not, I couldn't say how often I'd like to do it given the chance because I haven't finished finding out what I'm comfortable with because I haven't been able to test my boundaries which could mean even having the freedom I could do it less.
    I assume you realised that when I went out for the LGBT pride parade I went as female given the condition my room was in the next day, but I had a great time being out that day, where I could feel comfortable and normal for how I was feeling, it was the first time I had ever gone outside and to say it was the deep end.
    When I first told you, you asked me several questions, did I tell any of my friends, did I want to go out and about and did I plan on continuing. I said no to them all except the last one because I was afraid to do any of the others but at the time I had told Sean and Gavin because I felt they would be accepting, especially given how they told me they were both gay.
    I've since, and recently told Garrett and mike and grace and they are all fine by it but it wasn't easy for me, like telling you now isn't easy, it's hard and I'm sure to be a gay person is hard because other men look down on them because they aren't macho but you can't always tell a person is gay by appearance and not all gay men are camp, where as if I want to present then it can be even worse because nearly all men would hate to be a girl, which makes it hard to tell people because you think they'll look at you differently or not think you are the same person or some people just think you are a freak or mental.
    Yet it is a mental condition, though I'm still me,I'm fully functioning,I still like the same things and have the same personality, I just don't always look how I feel but by talking about it essentially all I'm doing is admitting I have a few other likes that a person hadn't known about, and I've a few more quirks to my personality than they knew of, the only problem with that is that after telling someone I often regret it even if they have been accepting, because I still haven't reached a point of accepting myself, so sometimes I think it is a phase and it will go away but it's been nearly 15 years and it hasn't and from others experiences, it doesn't but if I don't tell anyone I bottle it up and feel worse.
    A transsexual person is someone who is born a certain gender but mentally feel they are in the wrong body which must be awful to endure but by changing gender they can try to fix that as best they can, I feel sometimes like it is just as bad to be between the right body because some days I wake up I'm not sure who my mind will want to see looking back in the mirror and if I stay as male all the time I get depressed and anxious but I think if I was to only be female I would have the same issues.
    I have found that since Gavin and Sean have known for so long that while they have adjusted I've been able to become used to it too around them, it's easy to think when you have to admit something that the person learning about it has the burden of getting used to the concept but it does work both ways.
    I look at pictures of myself as female or in the mirror and think this feels right but at times when I change back or if I think about it too much I feel guilty and shamed about it because I can't be 'normal' or wonder what am I doing with myself but I've found now that my friends know I have someone real to talk to about it, who doesn't grab the pitchforks and torches and I want to be able to have that with you too. I find it strange to admit that at 25 years of age I'm afraid to talk about things but I feel a weight lifted off my shoulders by typing this alone. I was half hoping to avoid this conversation as well as half hoping to have it but I've pushed myself to do this because I've organised to go to town on Saturday for my birthday to one of the LGBT bars because I want to, but if I had said nothing it would have made Saturday afternoon very random and awkward and I didn't want to dump this on you at the very last second and expect you to process it and accept it all in one evening."

Thoughts, suggestions?
    Thanks for reading all that too!

***First Update***

It seems that I accidentally sent that to my mom after I finished typing it, which is odd because it doesn't appear in the chat log, she replied the next day ( I sent it during the middle of the night) with this:

"I know about the CD. It doesn't change how I feel about you. You are still my son, I still love you. I don't fully understand it but you have to be who you are. When you are ready to talk or not, I will listen. I would prefer nan(grandmother) does not find out- it wouldn't be good for her health or my sanity ��. I am not ready to see you dressed but that shouldn't stop us talking xx"

It wasn't the resounding reply that I wanted and it had annoyed me a little bit but I've had time to think it over and feel it was a good result and I'll hopefully get around to having a conversation with her next week perhaps.

Thanks to those who replied, I never had any worry that I could get kicked out or anything like that.
    Katey when I wrote that I forgot the mods HAVE to read everything so sorry about that
    I think you should write about that piece you quoted.

***Second Update***

This is the story that keeps on giving, I replied to moms text with "I didn't realise I had sent that blah blah blah"
    And she replied today saying "sent what?" So it turns out she randomly sent that text so I forwarded the message on and she replied with this " Wow! That's a lot to process. I will have to read it a couple of times. As I said you can only be who you are. It doesn't change how I think of you. Very well written. We will talk. I hope u enjoy Saturday x"

Which is more along the lines of what I was expecting

***Final Post***

For those of you who have been following my threads lately you'll know that I had wanted to talk with my mom about being trans and that she had known but seemed to me like a DADT situation. I went out on saturday night with my friends to the city to one of the LGBT bars. I tried talking with my mom a few days before so I wouldnt have to lie and sneak around the place etc etc so I sent a long personal text message to her because I was too nervous to talk in person ( you can read all about that here http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...the-air-letter )

My mom went out for the evening and told me to enjoy my night and be safe and she headed out for the evening, I then got changed over since she said she needed some time to adjust to things before seeing me dressed, my friends were a bit on the late side to showing up to my house and while we were having a few drinks before the taxi arrived my mom came home so I went upstairs rather than having her have to walk in on me, at the time I sent her a text asking was it alright if I came downstairs or did she want me to wait for her to go to bed ( it was late in the evening ) but she never replied and I heard her come up the stairs and go into her room which made me feel pretty bad because it was like she couldnt even look or talk to me however it turned out she didnt have her phone handy and felt she would stay out of my way so I didnt feel weird.

I went out for the night, had a great time, it was the first time half of my friends had seen me dressed in person, and we headed home. I still felt a bit down that it seemed like my mom was uninterested in the situation but that was resolved the next day.
    When I got home at 3 in the morning I realised I had left my keys in a jacket in the house so I had to wait until my step dad woke up which was at 5am and that was the longest coldest two hours Ive ever had to stand outside I can tell you, which including it raining at one point but it didnt bother me that I was en femme and would be seen by potential neighbours or whoever.I wasnt entirely sure if he had known if I dressed or not, but presumably my mom would have said it to him but hes also fairly laid back on most matters, he opened the door and I simply said ''dont ask'' and he gave a slight chuckle and went back to bed.
    The next day he took me out for a drive and we discussed the text message I had sent my mom and all the aspects of it as well as how I had felt she had ignored me the night before. He had said that she said she accepts me but didnt want to see it to which he said that isnt acceptance but acknowledgement. We went back home and he had a talk with her and she then talked with me which got a little bit emotional.

She said at first she was worried I was turning into a woman, I said I didnt think I would go down that road but ultimately I wasnt 100% sure but I feel its unlikely. Her second concern was that she feared I would be beaten up, potentially killed and put myself in line for ridicule. I said I knew the dangers were very real but realistically you can be attacked and robbed at anytime but I did understand that I was putting myself in additional risk, however I wouldnt be wandering around at 4am in the morning in the city by myself, like most sane people wouldnt do. Lastly, while she didnt worry about it per se, she assumed I was gay which I said I wasnt but she said while it is easier to accept a family member she said if my step dad did the same thing she would find it more difficult because at first she would think he was gay as well, and secondly she isnt attracted to women.

We finished the conversation on a good note and to say that such a weight has been lifted off of me is unbelievable, I explained to her that I felt like a criminal essentially sneaking about and lying all the time. She joked when she went back to what she was doing that I should try and get the remains of the nail polish off my fingers if I didnt want anyone to see, I thought it was unnoticeable, the few specks that were left. She also laughed when I said how cold it was outside while I was waiting to get in and said that mens clothes generally are far warmer.
    That evening she was decorating one of the spare bedrooms and asked if I wanted the tower storage unit from it for my clothing which I thought was a nice gesture. She said she was concerned about telling my grandmother who lives at home to which I agreed, because of her age and her generation it wouldnt make any sense to her at all so I think Ill avoid that kettle of fish altogether, simply having my friends and parents on board is enough for me.

( I tried to edit that down as short as possible, so sorry if its a long read )

Here's the tower unit in my room with all my stuff in it, minus the wigs of course. It even has a full length mirror on the door.

Sarah xx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sarah-RT; 07-27-2015 at 12:11 PM.
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

Sounds good.
    Amanda

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    I don't know that I would give her the letter, but might save it for another time; which would give her more insight into how you feel. Instead, I would just tell her that you sometimes like being a girl and have always felt that way. Depending on how she reacts, then I might show her the letter that you just posted. I don't like the idea of baring my soul, because you won't know how it will turn out. If your mom takes you into caring conversation, then your letter would tell her more.
    Dana Ryan

Sarah - that's a very emotional, open and touching letter - if this feels right to you (and you obviously know better than anyone here how it's likely to be received) then you should take some of your growing confidence, apply it to this situation and do what you feel needs to be done...

It's rare that anyone today writes letters of any sort, but that will give your mom the chance to re-read and absorb how you are feeling and some of the uncertainties and conflict in this condition... I can't see that anyone would fail to be touched by your words - I think you've captured so much of what so many of us probably feel, but this section particularly speaks to me and is something I've been wanting to write about for some time:

A transsexual person is someone who is born a certain gender but mentally feel they are in the wrong body which must be awful to endure but by changing gender they can try to fix that as best they can, I feel sometimes like it is just as bad to be between the right body because some days I wake up I'm not sure who my mind will want to see looking back in the mirror and if I stay as male all the time I get depressed and anxious but I think if I was to only be female I would have the same issues.
    I feel there's so much more behind that but for another time, not here.

It's a lovely letter Sarah, and you're a great person - have confidence in who you are. Good luck and have a great weekend for your birthday!

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

hi sarah,
    that is quite a well thought out letter, wish i had written those thoughts at 25yrs....since she has an idea about the dressing from prior situations i think it may go well, my concerns for you are who is funding your education and could they possibly recall it for not agreeing with your lifestyle situation....maybe even decide that you are not welcome to reside at the home you live in presently....just some reality checks for you to consider....prepare for the worst case.....hope for the best is what i guess im saying.....

with all the names you dropped are some siblings, relatives, moms SO, hard for us to get the whole picture without all the facts, but when i told my wife i made it abundantly clear that their was nothing she did or didnt do to cause this for myself, people seem to try and dissect the situation and put some of the blame on themselves, a mother maybe more so....
    Good luck and keep your chin up however you decide and keep the grades up....
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Platinum Member
    A second draft is always a good idea. It rambles a bit. Try to winnow out the key points...and get to them directly. In the end, this should be a conversation starter.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

It seems that I accidentally sent that to my mom after I finished typing it, which is odd because it doesn't appear in the chat log, she replied the next day ( I sent it during the middle of the night) with this:

"I know about the CD. It doesn't change how I feel about you. You are still my son, I still love you. I don't fully understand it but you have to be who you are. When you are ready to talk or not, I will listen. I would prefer nan(grandmother) does not find out- it wouldn't be good for her health or my sanity ��. I am not ready to see you dressed but that shouldn't stop us talking xx"

It wasn't the resounding reply that I wanted and it had annoyed me a little bit but I've had time to think it over and feel it was a good result and I'll hopefully get around to having a conversation with her next week perhaps.

Thanks to those who replied, I never had any worry that I could get kicked out or anything like that.
    Katey when I wrote that I forgot the mods HAVE to read everything so sorry about that
    I think you should write about that piece you quoted.

Sarah x
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

I'd also be upset by your mum's reply, because how does her loving you relate to not being ready to see you in a dress?
    You wrote a great letter, and it tells her how you feel, and that's a great start.
    It sounds like finding a shared house with kindred spirits might be a plan?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

This is the story that keeps on giving, I replied to moms text with "I didn't realise I had sent that blah blah blah"
    And she replied today saying "sent what?" So it turns out she randomly sent that text so I forwarded the message on and she replied with this " Wow! That's a lot to process. I will have to read it a couple of times. As I said you can only be who you are. It doesn't change how I think of you. Very well written. We will talk. I hope u enjoy Saturday x"

Which is more along the lines of what I was expecting

Sarah x

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Maybe that face to face chat will be soon.

As usual, I arrive late... but you know, it seems like the topic has forced itself -- you wanted to talk about it and you wrote a (great) letter. Your Mom also wanted to talk about it and she sent a message so spot-on you thought she had read the letter. And then because the situation had defused itself, you sent her the letter and she got a chance to read it. And I think you got an awesome response -- she heard you, she respects your individuality and she loves you. I think you just had a total victory -- or as total as these things can be in a situation like this. Congratulations!

Well I appear to be late to this party as well.

As far as you letter goes, very well written to me. Only wished I had done that years ago. However kinda glad I didnt after learnong my moms view on anything LGBT. Your mom seems like a very loving person who will definatly support you once the shock wears off.

Lastly you are a very beautiful young lady. Well ahead of most of us. Meaning being younger femme tends to work alot better if you start earlier. Dont get to depressed none of us are "normal". For that fact I dont know anyone who can say they are truely "normal".

Have a happy and wonderful birthday!
    Lily

You don't need any advice on the letter since it is already sent, but I think that it would be best to follow it up with a face-to-face conversation as soon as possible. Keep the emotions in check and be sensitive to her feelings. This is new to her and, like she said, a lot to process.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I can totally relate to your situation Sarah as you are in a very similar place to me, I wrote my Mother a letter just like you to try to explain things as best I could. She has been awesome in the year since I told her but she still won't even look at a picture of me let alone see me.

We have to be who we are, it's as simple as that. It's taken a long time for me to accept that for a fact, but that's as simple as it is. If we repress this we become miserable and withdrawn and feel deceitful for hiding this from the ones we care about most, and to finally share what we are feels like a million tons have been lifted from our shoulders. Life is never easy that's for sure, but I'm sure if you keep talking to your mother about it more things will get better for you in the long run, I totally sympathize Sarah with you, but time will help.

You have grown over the months on here as you said Sarah, we all grow and I truly believe that we have to find our level of were we want to go with this, until we find it we can never be happy with who we are.

Awesome Sarah!

The serendipitous synchronicity of SMS (try saying that late on Saturday night... )

I know some will pooh-pooh this thought :, but I think some of us do share empathetic thoughts and feelings with those who are close to us - sounds very much like you're in phase with your mom right now...

Keep talking and have a great birthday bash!

Katey x
    Stefani Germanotta

Congratulations Sarah. I'm glad everything seems to be coming together for you and this breakthrough with your mother is a great 25th birthday present! Anyway enjoy the day.

Platinum Member
    Honestly, I found your mother's response, such as you related it, to be quite encouraging. There is nothing more important than conversation. She expressed her unchanged affection for you...that lays a solid foundation for everything that might follow. You have asked for her understanding and support. She has made the first step towards providing that support. No, engage her in discussions about how you feel...and how she feels. Give her time to metabolize and internalize what she's learning about you and your needs. There is no end to this process.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Finally had the talk with my mom

Hey everyone

For those of you who have been following my threads lately you'll know that I had wanted to talk with my mom about being trans and that she had known but seemed to me like a DADT situation. I went out on saturday night with my friends to the city to one of the LGBT bars. I tried talking with my mom a few days before so I wouldnt have to lie and sneak around the place etc etc so I sent a long personal text message to her because I was too nervous to talk in person ( you can read all about that here http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...the-air-letter )

My mom went out for the evening and told me to enjoy my night and be safe and she headed out for the evening, I then got changed over since she said she needed some time to adjust to things before seeing me dressed, my friends were a bit on the late side to showing up to my house and while we were having a few drinks before the taxi arrived my mom came home so I went upstairs rather than having her have to walk in on me, at the time I sent her a text asking was it alright if I came downstairs or did she want me to wait for her to go to bed ( it was late in the evening ) but she never replied and I heard her come up the stairs and go into her room which made me feel pretty bad because it was like she couldnt even look or talk to me however it turned out she didnt have her phone handy and felt she would stay out of my way so I didnt feel weird.

I went out for the night, had a great time, it was the first time half of my friends had seen me dressed in person, and we headed home. I still felt a bit down that it seemed like my mom was uninterested in the situation but that was resolved the next day.
    When I got home at 3 in the morning I realised I had left my keys in a jacket in the house so I had to wait until my step dad woke up which was at 5am and that was the longest coldest two hours Ive ever had to stand outside I can tell you, which including it raining at one point but it didnt bother me that I was en femme and would be seen by potential neighbours or whoever.I wasnt entirely sure if he had known if I dressed or not, but presumably my mom would have said it to him but hes also fairly laid back on most matters, he opened the door and I simply said ''dont ask'' and he gave a slight chuckle and went back to bed.
    The next day he took me out for a drive and we discussed the text message I had sent my mom and all the aspects of it as well as how I had felt she had ignored me the night before. He had said that she said she accepts me but didnt want to see it to which he said that isnt acceptance but acknowledgement. We went back home and he had a talk with her and she then talked with me which got a little bit emotional.

She said at first she was worried I was turning into a woman, I said I didnt think I would go down that road but ultimately I wasnt 100% sure but I feel its unlikely. Her second concern was that she feared I would be beaten up, potentially killed and put myself in line for ridicule. I said I knew the dangers were very real but realistically you can be attacked and robbed at anytime but I did understand that I was putting myself in additional risk, however I wouldnt be wandering around at 4am in the morning in the city by myself, like most sane people wouldnt do. Lastly, while she didnt worry about it per se, she assumed I was gay which I said I wasnt but she said while it is easier to accept a family member she said if my step dad did the same thing she would find it more difficult because at first she would think he was gay as well, and secondly she isnt attracted to women.

We finished the conversation on a good note and to say that such a weight has been lifted off of me is unbelievable, I explained to her that I felt like a criminal essentially sneaking about and lying all the time. She joked when she went back to what she was doing that I should try and get the remains of the nail polish off my fingers if I didnt want anyone to see, I thought it was unnoticeable, the few specks that were left. She also laughed when I said how cold it was outside while I was waiting to get in and said that mens clothes generally are far warmer.
    That evening she was decorating one of the spare bedrooms and asked if I wanted the tower storage unit from it for my clothing which I thought was a nice gesture. She said she was concerned about telling my grandmother who lives at home to which I agreed, because of her age and her generation it wouldnt make any sense to her at all so I think Ill avoid that kettle of fish altogether, simply having my friends and parents on board is enough for me.

( I tried to edit that down as short as possible, so sorry if its a long read )

Sarah x
    Last edited by Sarah-RT; 07-27-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Banned Spammer
    Congratulations Sarah. I'm 50 and still haven't had that talk, although she would hardly be surprised in my case, nobody apparently is.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Sarah,

I am so glad to read you had a chance to talk to your mom and clear the air sort to speak. I know it is something you have wanted to do for some time . . . CONGRATS.

Cheers

Isha

Sounds like things are looking up for you. Congratulations! You're in it for life, so it's good when you can get it sorted out early and avoid a lifetime of guilt and sneaking around.

Congratulations, Sarah! I hear you on the sneaking around thing. We shouldn't have to feel overly guilty about this. It's always good to get things out in the open. I'm sure with enough time your mom will come to fully accept you for who you are.
    The struggle. She is real.

Aaaaaawww!

Sounds like things are going as well as you could hope for really - I'll say it again: you're a great kid and you're approaching this in the right way - just keep doing it... You can't do any more...

Katey x
    Stefani Germanotta

Good first steps

Kudos to you. Sounds like you have a great mom and stepdad. Don't be too hard on them if they don't immediately get everything.