Thread: Who's scared now!!

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar

Who's scared now!!

In two weeks I’m heading to the Seahorse Ball in Sydney and it brings back memories of this time last year. I re-read some of my old posts telling how, around this time I could not last twelve days without dressing but was unable to bring myself to even browse the women’s clothing, let alone purchase any.

Even though I had bought a ticket, I was scared stiff that I would be unable to walk out of the hotel room door and spend the night in embarrassing isolation in my room. (In the end I had to rely on another girl helping me out of the door.)

Prior to that my only ‘public exposure’ was at the local social group that I would sneak out to, even driving hiding under a hooded jumper. I would shop only online, although work officially knew, most of my colleagues didn’t. My lovely SO was still in an ‘I don’t care, but I don’t want to see it’ mentality and when dressed at home alone, I feared the knock at the door.

I hated feeling like that, almost embarrassed by my fears…

One year later:

• I now shop often, in boy or girl mode and there are a few SA’s who know me by name, have selections put aside for me and even one who wants to come out with the group when next we party.

• Everyone knows… work, neighbors, motorcycle club, even the others parents at the kids sport.

• I leave diamond studs in my ears and one or two fingernails painted at work, socially and at home. The nails get painted in a beauty salon in either girl or boy depending on circumstances.

• I’ve spent days dressed, travelling without taking anything boy.

• I’ll head out to any venue, with practically any crowd at practically anytime.

Now, I bring this up because of the last few weeks… The drive to Melbourne and parties down there surprised me in that I was not able to tell if anyone noticed me. I had tried my hardest to blend, dressed appropriately, made my self up appropriately, walked and talked as best as I could.

Last weekend I went out to dinner with the poor persistent fellow I talked about a few weeks ago (OK, so I said I wouldn’t and that’s another story) and again no one appeared to notice, care or react. I even went out to a local club where one of my work colleagues teaches dance. I met all her friends and, although some were told many were not and they were all totally nonchalant. This got me thinking. I was sure I was not that good, to tall, to big, to male… Could it just be that everyone was perfectly polite or what. I mean even Isha gets ‘clocked’ and ends up talking to strangers about what we are up to.

So last night was probably the first of several little social experiments I’m going to conduct. I want to know what reactions will be when I’m clearly a bloke in a frock, not trying to hide, not trying to blend. I did everything I could to reveal myself. I dressed in a sequined mini dress and outrageous heels, I slow danced with my wife, limited drinks to beer, walked like a bloke in heels, used my normal voice and even used the urinals in the male toilet. I could have been an extra from Pricilla Queen of the Desert!

Reactions were many… Some chose to ignore, some had a laugh, many tried to joke… Women strangers dragged me into so many pictures with them, so many danced with me. Some men tried to chat me up (hey, I scored a few free drinks) whilst others wanted to dance… The toilet experience was very strange. Even when there was a queue, no one used the urinals to either side of me; some of the comments were hushed abuse, some even a little threatening. It was funny watching some men double-checking the door when seeing me fixing my lippy just to be certain they were not in the wrong one!

Whilst I never felt threatened or in danger, I certainly met every stare with a smile and took not a single backward step. My SO had a wonderful time; we had not been to a ‘disco’ in decades and probably last danced together at our wedding, nearly twenty years ago.

I got to speak to many people, explained who I was and why I was dressed like I was. I think I did my small bit to help educate the masses. (And had a great time doing it.)

What I have learned so far… Well most people will ignore you no matter how you look. Providing you don’t impose too far, they won’t care. If you don’t directly impact on them they will not care what you look like.

Now I realize I’m probably a little out of the ordinary when it comes to the CD/TG/TS community, a risk taking adrenalin junkie with no fear and win at all costs attitude but if this is how far I’ve come in twelve months, what the hell does the future have in stock!!!

Year ago I said ‘look out world, here I come’, well I guess they heeded that warning!!!
    Call me Donna, please

Banned Spammer
    Good on yer, Donna! And if they don't like it...well, I can't violate forum rules.

Fab Donna,
    I wholehesrtedly endorse this, probably cos I'm doing very similar things, being out unabashedly man in a dress, including using the urinals. So far, no problems, and the less i'm bothered the less others seem to notice. Looking forward to hearing the next installments.

xxx Pamela
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Gone to live my life
    Hi Donna,

Well I must say, when you conduct a social experiment you definitely take it all the way. I think you have discovered what I discovered over the past year that people for the most part are really quite indifferent to things around them, most won't care, others will choose to ignore, some will interact, others will hate and seethe silently under their breath and some will overtly hate (rare birds though). I truly believe we all get read/clocked/identified and it is not until we stop caring that it seems nobody really notices (or at least that is the perception). However, if you know you are clocked you cease to care and just continue acting like you belong and the threat dissipates. For example, I was riding public transit yesterday and some young men got on the bus. I was standing and they were staring as men are want to do at any potential gal in a summer dress and then the "OMG that's a dude" look came across their faces. A few nudges, hushed laughs and probably a few jibes "You were checking our her legs bro not me". I politely smiled back, they looked a bit awkward because I had caught them in mid jest at which point one of them nodded in a apologetic manner and they retreated into their own world again. Point is, a year ago I would have been crushed and probably would have got off at the next stop, now . . . I don't really care. When I am dressed I am a woman . . . okay not a pretty gal by any stretch of the imagination but I am still a woman and that is all that counts to me.

I also find your own attitude colours the experience. If you are full of life, self-confident and act like you belong . . . I think many read this as a sign that you are less likely to be a push over should they wish to engage. However, if you act scared, mousy and whatnot, you are more likely to have people try and push your buttons . . . not scientific fact by any means just an observation.

It certainly sounds like you and your wife had a great evening and some people got educated . . . it all we can ask for. Oh BTW welcome to the nerdy social science girl club.

Cheers

Isha
    Last edited by Marcelle; 08-01-2015 at 08:21 AM.

One flaw in your experiment...the bloke in a dress. Reviewed all the pictures, and am still looking for the bloke. Courage, thy name is Donna.

Platinum Member
    Hi Donna, You are owning it and loving life.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Congrats Donna, and thanks for your observations. Although not as boisterous about it as you, I can relate to how our personality and outlook on life change the more we dress as we please.

Karen

Fun story Donna! While a guy in a dress wouldn't be something I'd do personally it's good to hear that you are comfortable enough to do as you please.

I agree about the lack of pitch forks and angry mobs, the two times I've been out in the city it's almost disappointing to not be insulted or whatever because I grew up to expect it, and before I was out to others that's what I'd have done, I found myself putting everything and everyone down, subconsciously I guess to avoid dealing with myself, people don't like what they don't know but when they know, but when they find out they don't get troubled by it.

Sarah x
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.