Thread: Is name & gender change required for getting SRS (GCS)?

Is name & gender change required for getting SRS (GCS)?

In light of the discussions of what constitutes RLE and full-time, I have decided to start another thread that is a spin-off topic of the RLE thread.

RLE is a requirement for getting SRS/GCS. Most surgeons require you to live full-time as a woman for at least a year, and to be on hormones for at least a year, to get SRS (GCS).

Without discussing what RLE or full-time is, I have a very simple question.

Do you have to legally change your name and/or gender marker before you get SRS (GCS)?

Please be willing to back your answer up with any of these.

1. What do the WPATH guidelines say about this?

2. Provide the name of an SRS surgeon who requires a legal name or gender change before he/she performs SRS.

3. Provide the name of an SRS surgeon who does not require a legal name or gender change before he/she performs SRS.

4. One of the requirements for getting SRS is two letters of recommendation from psychotherapists. For those of you who got SRS/GCS, did any of your psychotherapists require you to legally change your name and/or gender before they were willing to write the letter of recommendation?

Please do not discuss what is considered RLE. Please do not discuss what is considered full-time. Please just answer the questions asked in this thread. Thank you
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

The simple answer to both questions is no. The majority of surgeons require 2 letters and some only require one.

I have no idea if my therapist would have written the letter had I not changed my name. It was a moot point. I did ask my endo for a written recommendation and he responded when I changed my name he would write it.

More importantly changing your name and gender if your state allows it Memorializes and validates your commitment to live as the opposite gender.

And if the argument to not change it is money. Then you can't afford surgery and again becomes a moot point.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Does it matter?
    I wouldn't want surgery while still being known by a man's name.
    SRS is a big deal to me, I'm not looking for ways to bend the rules, I just want to be authentic.
    Authentic to me isn't having a man's name and pronouns, while living as a woman.
    I understand there are exceptions, but because you can't decide on a name is pretty poor planning.

The Gender clinic asked for my change of name details, so yes they do require it (in the UK).
    But let me stress, only because I want surgery, otherwise they don't care. RLE only relates to surgery.

You have your reasons Michelle, stop trying to bully everyone around to your way of thinking.
    This is going around in circles, go off and do your thing, be happy.
    Last edited by becky77; 08-18-2015 at 04:11 AM.

It's more a matter of local law. We can't change gender before SRS where I live (although that may change in the future). And the name change is way more expensive before. I changed my name after.
    It's Frances with an E, like Frances Farmer. Francis is a man's name.

i changed my name after FFS but before SRS..

You know, at the end of the day who cares?

The older I get in my transition, the less I give a damn about the safety protocols. I mean really I was pretty careful about everything, and my transition was still hard. Personally I prefer my ID to match my name and face, but whatever. I was also pretty keen on talking to my therapist for a few months before I pulled the pin, because I wanted to be sure I wasn't just pink fogging. But hey, not everybody wants to do the internal work, that's cool. Furthermore, I thought it was important to come out to everyone long before I transitioned so I could get it out there and start dealing with whatever coming out as trans would bring. But, what the heck, coming out isn't absolutely necessary is it? I mean isn't it really just about wearing dresses sometimes anyway? Shoot just throw on some of those scratchy boy clothes for work (underdressed of course, tee hee) and suffer through the day until you can go home and finally be you again. This transition stuff is a piece of cake. (strawberry short cake, giggles)
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Girl underconstruction Paulette's Avatar
    Now that is the Melissa that I love, tell it like is with a little tongue in check humor to make the nasty stuff taste better. Well said.
    Just and older girl trying to experience all that life can bring.
    "Life is not a dress rehearsal"

Silver Member
    No one told me it was required but it was not an issue because it was all done any way, it had been for some time.

Having just recently had srs if you or anyone wants to get to that point without having lived fully and completely as a woman for a while I think you are nuts. Seriously, this surgery is a big deal and there is no undoing it.

Here in Czech republic

If you want to get on HRT you need to:
    1. change your name
    2. be healthy enough

If you want to get SRS you need:
    1. Commission approval

If you want to get commission approval you need:
    1. be on HRT for at least one year
    2. live as man/woman for at least one year
    3. recommendation from psychiatrist
    4. recommendation from your therapist

Surgeon doesn't decides about your SRS, commission does and there is no way how to get your "full time" year without changing your name, psychologist will not
    prescribe hormons (and there is no way how to obtain them). Here in my country are really tight rules, but we get SRS, adams apple removal (if your therapis is smart ) and huge part of HRT paid by compulsory insurance. I know because i asked. I run small company and we delivered to Arab Emirates, if Arabs knew about my sex change or about fact our company is own by woman they would terminated contract.
    In my opinion, name change is part of RLE. Using your female name will ensure, you will inform important people around you, like authorities, your employers and your coming out will be complete for them. I don't live in US. but i think the reasons are pretty much same here. If you want to get SRS without name change you will probably need really good reason. Mine wasn't good for my doc, i changed my name and we lost a good client.

It looks like standards of whether or not name & gender change is required to get HRT or SRS vary from country to country, state to state, and even doctor to doctor.

It seems that some places require a name & gender change to even start HRT.

Other places require you to be on HRT before you can get a name & gender change.

Some places require you to get a name & gender change to get SRS.

Other places require you to get SRS before you can get a name & gender change.

I guess there is no right or wrong answer to this. It honestly all depends on your individual circumstances. The moral of the story here is not that there is a rigid right way to do this, but to open your minds and hearts to realize that other people may have different circumstances or transition requirements, and may have had no choice but to do things a different way than we do.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Silver Member
    Your stating the obvious Michelle.

but to open your minds and hearts to realize.....
    Do your really think we are so closed minded and ignorant?

Silver Member
    I agree, Theresa. That is particularly true in relationship to a gender marker change, as it is common knowledge that in many jurisdictions you cannot change it prior to SRS.

The topic of requiring a name change was new (to me), but I understand why it triggers responses around definition. (Which I will not delve into, per the OP.)

It seems that all of these RLE threads mix up three things. 1) Reference definitions and standards. 2) Status at start versus end of RLE. 3) Provider and interested party (e.g., insurance) differences for SRS itself. Both process and philosophical views may reflect on any or all of these.

Michelle, when you said there is no right or wrong answer, that is only true as it relates to process details. Qualitatively – morally and ethically – there is always a right answer. Not only that, but there are right answers for everyone in the chain and not just the individual pursuing SRS. They may not align. But focusing on process details, when just about everyone knows those vary anyway, seems to be avoiding the point.

Exactly what are you trying to get to?
    Lea

I would say in the US. Just about every state has a mechanism to change gender on your legal Id such as drivers license without SRS. The mechanism my vary. (Yes I do understand there will pockets of resistance. Texas allows it with a court order, yet there may be prejudiced judges that would deny it. ) In Jersey it's possible with a form filled out by a licensed therapist or medical doctor. Birth certificates are different matter entirely. But realistically how often do you need to produce a birth certificate. Other than passport application. I can't remember the last time.

I believe the name change issue devolved into being needed for SRS. From the discussion of having a name change and being full-time. Apparently the discussion of RLE and full time is as pointless as discussing CD, TG, and TS. People have their own ideas of what is what just as I have my opinion.

I don't care how people go about their life or how they identity. I am living my life as female 24/7 with legal name and gender marker.

How anybody else lives their life is their business.
    I just have the opinion that if your are female, then live as female. ( Not referring to those that have intentions of name change and marker, but timing could be the issue)
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

No, there are no rigid guidelines for any of this. There is the WPATH standard but that is only a "guideline" not a stern requirement. There are many jurisdictions.....countries, states, whatever who may have their requirements or guidelines. There are also different ways different healthcare professionals go at this within the varied states and countries.

There is no fully implemented absolute rules.

Keep in mind though that even if you do not want to follow the major guidelines they were developed for a reason. Transition is hard. Damn hard. You may do it anyway you want to, but why make it harder doing things like trying to live as a woman with a male name, or having to present as a man at work or any other halfway measure?

I couldn't imagine.

There are many ways to get the letters needed for SRS. I found that all the surgeons I contacted required one or two letters from a therapist or psychologist, and many required a year of RLE. None required a name change.
    Last edited by Angela Campbell; 08-19-2015 at 03:03 PM.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

If you're going to live "full time " for a year or more as a requirement for SRS, why the hell wouldn't you change your name?

For me, I would not want to have my ID's with a male name and gender designator as M. Too many times during my RLT sales people would ask me "Is this your husband's card" or the best, why would a mother name her daughter Kevin???

I had my name change, gender marked F on my driver license prior to GRS as my therapist is on a list at the DMV to allow this. Only had it done several months prior to GRS as she said it would be best to travel with female identification when travelling which I agree,

Bottom line, nothing I have read in WPATH requires the changes.
    “When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be.” ― Julia Glass