Thread: Best coming out stories

Best coming out stories

What are your best stories for the unusual or unexpected reactions you got when you started to tell your friends and family about you being trans? I'm not looking to dwell on the rejections, as those experiences are expected to some degree. I wanted to start a thread on the upbeat side, to show what is possible (probable?) to our sisters and brothers who have not yet swallowed hard and jumped off that cliff.

I have a couple:

1. The first person, aside from my doctor, to hear me admit I was transsexual was a couple who are about 10 years older than me. The guy is like a brother to me. As this was No. 1 reveal for me, I didn't have my story rehearsed, I was terrified, and I literally trembled and cried as I revealed my deepest, darkest secret in my life. This incredible guy, to my utter amazement, cried along with me, and gave me the biggest affirming hug (which was sorely needed right then). I'll never forget that moment. His wife, however, was far more neutral about my news. There was no real reaction -- maybe a touch of disappointment, if anything, which I found weird. When I finally pulled myself together that evening and the conversation drifted away from my big reveal, about an hour after that she revealed the source of her odd reaction. She had just joked with her husband earlier that week that if he died before her, she had picked ME to be her substitute husband! Wow -- what do you say to that? I guess I really did disappoint her now that Plan B is gone!

2. Instead of a specific person or incident, I want to state that the quantity of people who heard my story and reacted with almost indifference was really surprising. So many folks seemed to just say, "OK, is that the big story?", as if it was nothing. Perhaps it was nothing, and I had completely overblown it in my mind. Or perhaps that is the way many people react to news like this as a PC approach to this unusual news. But the lack of a reaction was weird, and was by far the most common reaction of all.

What were your most interesting responses when you told your story?

Karen

I only have one.

My Mum told a family member and she replied.
    "That's going a little extreme, I mean we all know he is gay"
    To which my Mum replied I was married, and she said yeah but the wife is a lesbian isn't she?

So apparently I was gay and my wife a lesbian!

I want to transition to a degree, with a Fem hair cut along with
    Ears pierced. So, I've been discussing a lot about Caitlyn and
    Jazz on T.V. At work. They joke back and ask tell me I want
    To be like them. I'm hoping to slowly add things along.
    According to their comments, it won't be a surprise.
    Wife already knows.

My ex partner's (another story) 10 yr old granddaughters response when told

"Does P need any money? He will have to buy some new clothes"
    So much to learn still

I was with my sister the very day I made up my mind to transition. It all came spilling out, and my fate was sealed. She made me promise to see a Dr. on Monday morning, and get the ball rolling. We also arranged to meet at a mall for lunch the next week, as she had never seen me in girl mode.
    She texted me to say she'd be a few minutes late, and I said I'd be wandering around in Sephora somewhere. She walked into the store, and saw my authentic self for the first time ever. She burst out crying, and said I was beautiful. She said seeing me enfemme, she realized how I had to do what I had to do, because this was obviously the way I was supposed to be.
    My sister and I became very best friends. We had been only casually friendly for 53 years before it. She became my shoulder to cry on, my fashion guru, my clarity when things got murky, and the only cis person to 'get it'.
    I don't know if I would be where I am without her.

My friend who is into yoga, reiki, new age salads, and anything to do with spiritualism, said I had the wrong aura for my body, and a serious imbalance. After transition, she said everything was back in order, my aura was lined up, and she gave me a clean bill of spiritual health, even though I still refuse to eat kale.

Late addition- When my niece explained to her four year old how Uncle Paul was becoming Aunt Paula, his only question. 'When I'm old like Aunt Paula, can I still be a boy?'
    Last edited by I Am Paula; 08-18-2015 at 06:37 AM.

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Karen;

Definitely falls into the unexpected category. My coming out at work was a pretty well orchestrated process with a series of 1:1 and personal disclosures which all went well. It did come a time where I needed to go broad. So when I was ready...had ducks in a row... Out went the note. What came next was the onslaught of response and feedback. Beyond overwhelming from a few standpoints... First shear number and I might add I just got another yesterday as folks return from sabbaticals. Next was the detail of the responses. Many, even ones returned within minutes, showed an outpouring of though and emotion in their response. Almost felt like they had the note precrafted waiting given the length and articulation. Finally it was the stories attached; the similar situations within their families or with close friends. We are clearly not alone in this world. Lastly in a couple of cases were personal struggles themselves; one most touching from Saudi that spoke to their personal challenges socially, politically, and religiously.

The response overall personally and emotionally draining in a good way. Lots of tears as I read through them.

Cheers... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

My spouse and I chose to come out to our friends one couple at a time. It was very important to me that my spouse was there by my side. We went to dinner or lunch with each couple and told them. I had worked out a little presentation in which I began with a bit of levity and then explained things.

After questions and answers almost everyone was comfortable and accepting. We have now been places with all of our friends and most of my family with me en femme, only two couples remained a bit awkward and now even they seem to have come around.

As I ended my coming out story several of them said the same surprising thing, "But we're still friends, aren't we?" I'd expected that to be my line!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Banned Read only
    No surprises here. I told them, they told me to get out. I collected my belongs and left. It was about 20 years before we reconciled.

Gold Member
    I don't know how to pick one over the other. Every positive response was either heartwarming or funny.

A female friend whose first response was "I want to see all of your sequin dresses". We had some education to do there.

A lady at work who, on day one, walked up to me rattling off work stuff and stopped mid-sentence and went "My you are pretty".

My Mom who just loved me.

My siblings who all embraced me from second #1.

Hundreds of hugs.....

Silver Member
    When I told our LGBT exec. sponsor at work that I was trans, he asked "how long have you been living as a man?" I answered "all my life ..." He looked, said "wow ..." then I said "Scott, I'm MTF ..."
    Lea

I think the best were my sisters. When I told my older sister, she shook her head and said that I always was the last to know. Some time later I was visiting my younger sister. She had been talking to older sister, and older asked younger if I had told her my big secret. Younger wanted to know what it was. I'd been putting it off, because she and brother in law were going to a conservative Christian church. Finally, after lots of pleading, I asked her if she knew what transgender meant. She said yes. I said, I'm transgender. Her response was, "Is That All?"
    After a few minutes of talking about it, she jumped up, hugged me and said, "I've got another big sister!"

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Platinum Member
    I came out to a business associate at a meeting in her office that had been scheduled weeks before. I had known her for several years and worked with her on a couple of projects, so we were well acquainted. I wasn't initially planning to come out just yet, but the day came and I couldn't bear the thought of reverting back to male mode for a meeting. So, I texted her before hand, told her what I had in mind so she wouldn't be totally floored, and she replied that it was perfectly OK...her clinics cater to a lot of TG folks. When she first came in, she smiled, said "this is new!", and we went about business. After the real business was completed, she smiled again, and said, "OK, now tell me all about it."

We talked for another hour or so. She remarked that I wasn't the first person to come out to her and certainly wouldn't be the last. She remains a colleague and close friend.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I texted my aunt an MSPaint picture that said "im a trans lolz" and she was extremely supportive.

When I announced I was transitioning at work in a meeting with 30 some people I had nobody say anything bad but afterwards two or three stopped talking to me. Just recently one started talking to me and the other two have not. If I pass them I say Hi, if working with them I do what I am there for.

Had two religious friend at first reject me then asked to meet with me which then turned them back to me as friends and see each other frequently with no issues.

Thought my 93 year old mother would had rejected me but she tells her friends she has a new daughter lol. This Tuesday she is taking several pictures of me to the hair salon to show me off.
    “When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be.” ― Julia Glass

I sat down with my mom for hours telling her all about it. She asked questions and she seemed supportive, yet still unsure. Understandable.

A few days later she asked me to come by, because we need to talk. Yes the frightening "we need to talk" .

When I arrived, she placed a small box on my lap.

It was a silver bracelet that was my grandmother's.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

I will relate one of my wife's coming out stories since she has also had to go through the process. She has selectively told people,I was transitioning at work and socially. There was an older GG friend of hers that she was dreading facing. The woman has been critical of my wife at times as she considers herself a mentor to my wife. Finally, last week she decided it was time. My wife told her that my name was Suzanne and that I was in the process of transitioning to female. The woman didn't miss a beat. She said that it was wonderful and she loved me even more. Then she told my wife that she should let me have a man after SRS and not to worry that I would always come back home. How's that for acceptance!
    Suzanne