Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meeting Company President

Meeting Company President

I just scheduled meeting with the president of the company for Thursday. I am going to disclose that I am transitioning and ask for his help implementing the process. I work for a family owned company of about 100 people with maybe 20 of those being front office. He brought me there when he was offered this job five years ago. He had been my former boss at my previous employer.

I am telling him first because I believe he deserves to know first. He has been instrumental in growing my career. My wife is going with me as he knows my family well. We want to present a unified family who needs his help. I will show him all the documentation from my doctors and inform him of my name change. I will also let him know my preferred SRS schedule for next summer. I want to let him tell us the best way and timing for the company for this process. Hopefully it will be something we can both agree too. I want to be in a how can we best do this for everyone posture, not this is how is going to be attitude.

This is going to be a big test for my boss. The company is a white male dominated place with not much diversity in the management team. Most of the management have conservative view points. Please pray that my boss can see this as something that just is. I am afraid he will not be able to believe this about me. I think I have done a good acting job unfortunately.

I am scared. I have to admit it. I have risen to every occasion in this process so far. I live as a woman everywhere except here. I have come out to the straightest of people in Kentucky with no problem but now I am frightened. I don't want to hurt my family. I support a wife and three children and I don't want them to suffer because of me. Ok enough whining! God has got me this far, surely I won't be abandoned now. How ever it looks I will handle the consequences. I am a woman with considerable strength and support!

Suzanne

Huge hugs, Suzanne!

It sounds like you are doing it the right way and that you've thought things through. You have obviously worked well with the comapny President and his team and there is no reason that should change.

Thoughts and prayers are with you. I know you'll make this happen.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Hang in there girl! It sounds like he obviously values your talent and capability, and nothing about transitioning is going to make you less able to perform your job. Go for it!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne F View Post

I want to let him tell us the best way and timing for the company for this process. Hopefully it will be something we can both agree too. I want to be in a how can we best do this for everyone posture, not this is how is going to be attitude. Suzanne
    It sounds as though you are on the right track except for the above part. More than likely he has never been involved with a transition before. He is not going to know how to handle it. Offer to work with him to establish a quick and effortless timeline. Remember, he maybe the President of the company but he still puts his pants on the same way you do, one leg at a time. My thoughts are with you as you make this happen.

Suzanne,

I pray and hope that everything goes well for you.

One positive thing going for you is that California has civil rights protections for transgendered employees. I gather that you bring a lot of value to your firm, so that seems to be another positive factor. Companies do not like losing valued employees, even if they do not fully support their lifestyle. A lot of company decisions are made based on the bottom line.

From reading posts of yours in the past, it seems you deal with the firm's clients. If the clients object to dealing with you, that could be a problem, and could affect your job security.

Got my fingers crossed for you. I hope it all goes well.
    When the answers escape us when we start to fade
    Remember who loved you and the ones who have stayed
    Cause my body will fail, but my soul will go on
    So don't you get lonely I'm right where you are

good luck

Gold Member
    Have faith! Your planning and working with everyone has gotten you this far in a positive way.

Sigh, I always knew Christina Kay's Avatar
    Thoughts and prayers,,and fingers crossed. Hope all goes well.
    Follow your path.. For only you can decide, which way to go.

Definitely, good luck with your upcoming conversation. It won't be easy and maybe the anticipation of a possible negative outcome will not have been necessary. You have friends, so please do not hesitate to call them when needed. Hugs and stuff.

Platinum Member
    Good luck! I'm hopeful that the conversation will have a positive outcome.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Suzanne;

I remember when I disclosed to my immediate vp... Was one on the 1:1 f2f sessions I wanted to do. I asked for 30 minutes he suggested 10... What could possibly take more then 10 minutes. So I got my 10 minutes which ended up being closer to an hour �� and a good conversation.

Open and upfront with your head high... No looking down.

You'll be fine.

Cheers... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

We're all thinking good thoughts for you, so it has to go well. The Trans-Force is with you.

Hugs,

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Hope all goes well Suzanne. We all support you and hope it goes well.
    Part Time Girl

It's a smart business way to handle it.
    He almost cannot turn you away, but i'm sure he will be concerned about clients.

Remember as you share your story to emphasize you are all business and want to help his company just like you always have.
    In my opinion you should share as LITTLE surgical and medical details as possible, sharing none is preferable...that can all be later... he doesn't have to hear about SRS the day he finds out you are transsexual

This is not about your rights or state protections... this is about him trusting you and hopefully realizing you are going to be a great employee for him

... i'm not sure he should have to do anything except direct his company to accept you and let you make it happen

I with you in spirit and I am sure everybody else here is with you as well. Hopefully you are pleasantly surprised.

Good Luck

Gone to live my life
    Hi Suzanne,

Coming out at work is never an easy thing and I feel your angst . . . made that walk down the long hallway to the Commander's office (BGen). Stay focused, don't forget to breath and just provide the information as you plan. What helped for me "timeline wise" was working with the chain of command on how best to tell everyone (education sessions) and establishing a timeline on how this is going to go together. I have no doubt your strong spirit and singularity of focus will hold you in good stead. You will be in my thoughts on Thursday.

Cheers

Isha

All the best, you seem well prepared.

Good Luck Suzanne!

Your strength and fortitude here has been inspirational for many - if you weren't a little bit scared you wouldn't be human, and you won't be abandoned... thoughts and prayers are with you...

Keep Calm & Carry On!

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Good luck Suzanne. When I came out to senior leadership, it was a 90 minute conversation! We had booked for an hour, we went long, but he didn't care, he bumped his other meetings to make sure we had time to have a good conversation. What I found helped, and he said that it did help him, was listing all the people that were supporting me medically and emotionally. This made him realize the decision to transition was well thought out, with proper supports to do it safely. Also providing information on family support. Once he knew it wasn't a knee jerk reaction on my part and that I was well taken care of, he simple just said "how can I help?" and we went from there, establishing a time line for going full time and a communication strategy to the organization (350 people in my department, 6,000 in the organization). And while I didn't have the pleasure of having my wife there to support me (she is long gone...) my immediate supervisor did sit with me for this conversation with the "big guy" for support. That was an amazing gesture on her part. Anyway, it went better than I could have hoped....I couldn't have written a better story about a successful conversation.

Be strong. and yes, remember to breath, relax and just tell your story. Let us know how it goes. In the meantime, my thoughts are with you....

Erin
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Greatest of outcomes to you Suz, I won't wish luck because you obviously do not need it with all of your planning and forethought. You own this- you have made it happen. Just remember to take deep breaths, and remember to be yourself. And don't forget to tell us all about it either, please! I've met some really decent people in Kentucky, significantly better on average than downstate Illinois or Indiana, in my experience. You are a pioneer, as much as the people that originally set out west, or the ones thousands of year ago that came east over the frozen Bering Sea...
    -kristi

The meeting will take place today. He could not meet with me and my wife on Thursday and I have agreed to see him today by myself. It will happen in a few hours. I am so impressed with all of you who have faced this. I feel so alone and vulnerable. Well it has to be done. Like it has been said here many times I have no choice!
    Suzanne

Just relax and be yourself. A good manager wants their employees to be honest and upfront about the issues they face. This is is going to prove to him that you are loyal and brave. Good luck and may fortune smile upon you!
    The struggle. She is real.

Untitled
    Wishing you all the best
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

What a week, Suzanne! First a name change and now a meeting with the big guy at work. Every one here is with you, as is your family. So do as others have suggested, be proud of who you are and be yourself. Sounds like this boss has known you for a while, so he should be understanding. Good luck!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!