Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Am I Transgender?

I agree, Nicole. Most people outside the community don't think of it because their gender IDs do match their sex. So they equate the two. Gender = Sex in their minds, so Transgender = Transsexual.

But, we know better.

This is why I suggest that community members should use a brief description of what they do if they want to explain it to someone, rather than pick one of the half-dozen or so labels we have floating around the forum, which everyone defines differently. But, if the OP wants to use "TG", s/he can, although the term by itself won't be enough to describe the OP specifically.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    By saying you're not something when you are confuses the people you talk to and everyone around you.
    It's equally confusing to people if I say I'm something that I'm not.

Well put Isha...some days I am on the female side of gender identity, other days I am on the male side. Some days it varies by hours, time of day, and how I feel. If you asked me where I am on the gender scale, the answer is smack dab in the middle. i don't present as female in public, since I have some male attributes (beard), that I like when I am feeling the male side. My closet is about 50/50, and on any given day I may dress in leggings and a male t-shirt.
    hugs,
    trisha

Let everyone call themselves whatever they want.

Personally, I'm fine with these two terms crossdresser and transvestite. No more labels needed for me.

Really great thread and discussion! I appreciate everyone's input and insight. The real issue as some of you have touched on is now in broader society, "Transgender" means "Transexual". And that is where the focus is. It seems it is easier for people to accept and understand a person who dresses as a different gender, says they are a different gender and wants to completely transition to that gender than someone who occasionally (or more often) wants to dress and present as the other gender. It would seem society is okay with gender reassignment but not ready for a guy likes to wear a dress!

Thanks y'all!

Eva D.