Thread: Good news for Marylanders

Good news for Marylanders

I got an e-mail today from the lawyer who helped me with my name change last year. It had some really exciting news in it. It seems the Maryland General Assembly passed a law that goes into effect October first that changes the way you get an updated birth certificate. First off, surgery is no longer a requirement. And you don't need a court order in most situations. All you need is a sworn statement from your medical provider or therapist stating that you have undergone appropriate steps toward changing your gender. You just take that to the bureau of vital statistics and fill out the appropriate forms there. Then they will issue a NEW birth certificate, not an amended one. The original will be placed in a sealed file that can't be opened without a court order. You can get a copy of the original to keep for your own records. And if you have previously gotten an amended certificate, you can also get a brand spanking new one with no mention of the previous info.

How cool is that? Since my doctor and this lawyer have offices in the same building and I'm due to see my doctor in a couple of weeks, I plan to stop in the lawyer's office and get the ball rolling. Can't wait.
    If clothes make the man, I must not be one.

If men are from Mars and women are from Venus, I am definitely from Earth. Somewhere in the middle.

Originally posted by Inna
    If you find your self in pain, yet not able to stop the pursuit, rest assured, you are on the right path
    You may call me Dana B

Gold Member
    That is very cool Dana! Could you have your government call my government......

Awesome! When they hang up with Sue's people, have them call mine next !!!

Erin
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

I'm curious Erin. Where were you born? In Ontario we can get a birth cert. just by saying 'I'm a girl' three times out loud.

Untitled
    Wonderful news, even better that you get an NEW birth certificate, rather like the UK

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Paula View Post
    ... just by saying 'I'm a girl' three times out loud.
    But do you turn clockwise or anticlockwise as you say it
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Paula View Post
    I'm curious Erin. Where were you born? In Ontario we can get a birth cert. just by saying 'I'm a girl' three times out loud.
    Quebec. Don't even get me started !!

Quote Originally Posted by Nigella View Post

But do you turn clockwise or anticlockwise as you say it
    Probably clockwise here, counter clockwise in Australia !!
    Last edited by Nigella; 08-21-2015 at 01:53 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

yessssss. i live in maryland, that's excellent news

Gone to live my life
    Quote Originally Posted by Eringirl View Post
    Quebec. Don't even get me started !!
    Hi Erin,

Just curious as I was born in Quebec as well. It isn't that crazy "residency clause" to effect change is it?

Isha: yup...that would be it, but rumour has it they are changing that....but I'm not going to hold my breath....sigh

Gone to live my life
    Hi Erin,

I know it is a mater of Provincial vs. Federal jurisdiction but have you contacted your MP? I mean it seem ludicrous that a Province would require someone who is not a resident, with an established life to do what . . . uproot their life, move to another province, find a new job (which might be difficult if you don't speak French) just to effect a change to a document. Heck I was born in Quebec because my parents were visiting my father's family at the time. We never lived there (grew up in Ontario) and French is now a distant second language at best.

I never ceases to amaze me how a Province which can be so liberal in some ways can be so conservative when it comes to bureaucracy.