Thread: I think I made a terrible mistake. I shouldn't have done it....

Gold Member

I think I made a terrible mistake. I shouldn't have done it....

I always wanted to use that subject line.

Well, the threads are pretty heavy so let's mix something a little lighter in. My first day at work was last October 8th. Over the first month I had ladies walking up to me that I didn't know that would compliment me or admire my courage (setting aside arguments about it being courageous....). It went on for maybe a month and then was done.

So here I am today walking down the hall at work and from a side hall I hear a loud "Hey!". I take a step back and look down the hall and a lady comes up to me who looks familiar, but I don't know. She lays her hand on my should and says "You're beautiful". I say thank you and she goes "I have been wanting to tell you that for months". Then she complimented me on my style choices and hair. We talked a while and I have a new friend. With all the time passed, I forgot what it was like having this experience. I floated all day with a big grin. It doesn't get old.

Gold Member
    Thats is great to here, Glad all is going well. To often you run into
    just the opposite, so congratulations, and much Sussex in the days ahead.
    Rader

Platinum Member
    Surely, there have been difficult days in your transition, but moments such as this certainly make up for it!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Well, the threads are pretty heavy so let's mix something a little lighter in..
    RRRRRROOOOOOAAAAAARRRRRR!!!!

Just kidding!

Fantastic story, and good for you!!! :-)

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    Surely, there have been difficult days in your transition, but moments such as this certainly make up for it!
    "And please don't call me Shirley" Interesting note. My father's name was actually Shirley. So we were both misnamed.

No, it never gets old. Even a nice comment on FB still gets me going.

Sweet compliment. I am encouraged by your success!
    Suzanne

All girl, all the time! ❤ Felicia Dee's Avatar
    Yay! That's awesome.
    "I'm a work in progress..."

That is sooo sweet.
    You never can tell when something that you do can have such an impact on someone else. If she hadn't waited to tell you that, if she was among those that said it in the first few weeks, the compliment would have been lost in the crowd. It would not have the effect it had 10 months later.

Best wishes
    MsVal
    Quarterly TG Invasions: TgDetroit.com
    Facebook: MsVal Bralt

Gold Member
    Suzanne, I do share because I want everyone to be encouraged by positive outcomes. I still believe I am extremely fortunate and am in the top 0.5 to 1% in positive outcomes. It is almost weird at times but certainly welcome and warming. As I have said before, I wish I could bottle it up and give it away.

MsVal, I agree the timing gave me a good feeling at this point. But I don't think much got lost in the noise that first month. Maybe eventually it will. I can still remember what I think were all the positive conversations, maybe paraphrased. I know I was immediately lifted upon transition and carried emotionally for a while by many people, especially at work.

Silver Member
    Father named Shirley and a boy named Sue! (forgive the phrase) Shades of Johnny Cash! ... not sure if you're familiar with the story of Glen Sherley and Johnny Cash ...

It's nice to hear such an encouraging response.
    Lea