Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Estrogen Patches advice

Aspiring Member

Estrogen Patches advice

After 14 months on HRT, my endocrinologist has finally listened to me agreeing that the Estrace pills aren't having much effect. Despite being on the max dose, my E levels continue to be low. So, starting today, I am now reluctantly on patches. I say reluctant as I've heard multiple times that they're a pain in the butt and often fall off. Given my experience with them is roughly 13 minutes, would anyone here be able to share their own experiences? How difficult was it keeping them on? Do they survive showers okay? Any favourite places to stick them? If they start falling off, could I tape them back in place? ...does that even work?

Nigella is having a bit of a break from the forum or she would answer this but seeing as I'm here with her I can say that she doesn't have a lot of problems, and has never had any come off in the shower, sometimes they have come off for no apparent reason and all she has done if left them off until it was time to renew. She puts them on the side of her thighs and alternates legs each time. I guess it is trail and error fro each person.
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

Aspiring Member
    Thank you, Sandra. I appreciate your input. Currently I have one patch on each shoulder but will try the inner thighs too. Trial and error indeed, though I'd prefer not to waste any patches.

Thanks again!

Aspiring Member
    Hi, I have used CLIMERA patches in all the dose levels for the past 3-years and am familiar with "non-stick" issues. My solution, and one endorsed by my pharmacist and physician, is to cover the patch with a BIG waterproof "Band Aid". The ones I use are 1 3/4" x 4". My favored placement is on the side of the butt cheeks but the abdomen also works. just avoid places where clothing rubs like the waist.
    Good Luck,
    Sandra1746

I just stopped patches as the transdermal approach wasn't working for me.
    My patches never came off, showers and bath included. It's important to make sure your skin is dry and clean (no oil/moisturiser) first.

The pamphlet said to put them on the tummy beneath the belly button, after someone's suggestion from on here I had greater success with the patch on the fatty part of my buttock, then just alternated sides.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra1746 View Post
    My solution, and one endorsed by my pharmacist and physician, is to cover the patch with a BIG waterproof "Band Aid".
    Sandra1746
    Thanks for those ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by becky77 View Post
    I just stopped patches as the transdermal approach wasn't working for me.
    Glad to hear you had no non-stick issues though your message here is concerning, since I'm coming off pills as they weren't doing it for me. Would you mind elaborating? Send me a PM.

Thank you!

Silver Member
    Some stayed on good, some not so well. They got dirty and sticky all around the patches. I did not like them and quite after a couple months.

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    Have you considered estrogen implants? I have recent had the procedure and the results are really good. I should get about a year before I need to repeat the process. It was cheap, relatively painless and now I have nothing to worry about, they can't fall off nor can I forget to take them one morning...
    Call me Donna, please

Don't get me started on those Patches,,lol,, I had a Hell of a Time,, They didn't like me much, I guess cause I am an oily person? But went through 3 the first week and like other said some stick and some don't ,, But I put mine on the Butt and sometimes they stayed. I even put athletic Tape on them to help,, They hate the shower also,, I did them for about 3 months. I went to the shots thank God,, No more trouble now,, Short and sweet. You have to stretch out the skin where ever your gonna put it so it will not move while your moving ,, And make sure you Air Dry after showers before putting it on, If it comes off blow dry it and heat it up and put it back on.

I use two Vivelle Dot patches at a time and place them either on my backside or just below the waist panty line in the front. In almost three years I would say I had a problem three times. They work great for me.

I use the Estradot patches, and only had two come off accidentally in two and a half years. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by becky77 View Post
    The pamphlet said to put them on the tummy beneath the belly button, after someone's suggestion from on here I had greater success with the patch on the fatty part of my buttock, then just alternated sides.
    The opposite for me; I've found on the tummy is better than on the bum. Showers and swimming are okay; no problems there.

Have graduated over the years from a low dosage to a relatively higher dose. I've found this higher dose definitely does work, so have no problems recommending patches.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 08-31-2015 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Actual dosages are not allowed

Holly,

I know this may be a silly question, but are you on spiro? And how are your testosterone levels? I've heard transwomen who take estrogen without spiro and don't get much of a result.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

I have a fair amount of experience as I've been on them for about 4 months. I wear three and that keeps my levels just above 100. Despite the low levels I am happy with the results. I've only had one patch come off and that was early in my trial. I just stuck it back on and I was good to go.

I have found that the twice a week patches are better than the once a week patches. They are smaller and less likely to peel off. I put all of mine on my upper buttocks. That area has slightly better absorption. My generic patches, made by Sandoz, are the generic version of the Vivelle Dot which just came off of patent.

My only complaint is that the patches tend to ooze around the edges and stick to my underwear. I cut an oval of saran wrap and apply it over the patch and that cures the issue.

I swim and shower normally and I'm just careful to wear underwear to bed so that I don't dislodge the patches on the sheets.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I have been on patches since 2008. No problems here.
    It's Frances with an E, like Frances Farmer. Francis is a man's name.

I have been using estradiol patches for about 3months and haven't had one come off yet. My only concern is the dosage is much lower than the pills.

Formerly Deborah Whitney
    I have been on patches for a month, and haven't lost any. I place them around my abdomen on my back, near my belly button, and on the sides.

I always clean the area with alcohol before applying the patch, I found that my body wash soap although leaves the skins silky my patched would not stay on.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana L View Post
    I have been using estradiol patches for about 3months and haven't had one come off yet. My only concern is the dosage is much lower than the pills.
    It can be lower because the estrogen doesn't pass through the liver on the way to the body as it does with oral estradiol. That's easier on your liver.

What counts is your blood levels.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle789 View Post
    Holly,

I know this may be a silly question, but are you on spiro? And how are your testosterone levels? I've heard transwomen who take estrogen without spiro and don't get much of a result.
    Yes, I am on Spiro and have been since day one. My T levels are "great" according to my Endo, he says they're in the female ranges. Don't ask me for an exact number though, I'm not really sure. I just know he's been more concerned about my E levels than T.
    Last edited by dreamer_2.0; 09-01-2015 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer_grl View Post
    Don't ask me for an exact number though, ik not really sure. I just know he's been more concerned about my E levels thank T.
    I am always concerned about my numbers because it is my body that they apply to! I have a fantastic T level of 7 to 11, but my E level was 108 and then dropped to 87 where we would like it to be near 200. I'm pretty well maxed out on E so I live with what I have, and thankfully the results have been good.

My endo seems to be primarily concerned with getting my T down, as she says that it can interfere with utilization of E. So far, her regimen has worked very well.
    Eryn

Your patches are on your shoulders? Was that specifically recomended by your doctor? Did you read the directions? Unless yours are a patch I'm not familiar with, most are intended to be on fatty tissue like your lower abdomen/butt. The presence of bodyfat is necessary for the transfer to occur.

I agree with Peggie Lee, I wipe the area with alcohol and let it dry prior to patch application. Also press firmly on the patch for about 20 seconds to hold it in place.

I've been on generic weekly patches, mostly marketed by a company named Alvogen (I suspect they are actually manufactured by 3M) and did not like them. They were awkward and left a lot of residue everywhere. Now I'm on twice-weekly generic patches from a company named Mylan and they are far superior. Like Eryn mentioned, the twice-weekly patches are smaller and while they do leave a residue, it is a much smaller amount. They appear to be sturdier and made of thicker material and seem way easier to apply.

My proceedure is to use 1/4 of my abdoment/butt each week. So over the course of four weeks I do right front belly (below waistline), right rear, left rear, left front, and keep repeating.

So far I have never had a patch fall off, even when swimming or showering. If there is any body hair in those areas you should probably shave.

I feel that patches are a great way to go. Like Eryn pointed out, they eliminate that ""first pass" through your liver so they should be healthier. But, like everything medical, your milage may vary.

Hugs,
    Persephone.

(I am not a medical doctor nor do I pretend to offer medical advice. Consult your physician).
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

I have had trouble with the patch since I started them 2 years ago. My solution was to get a role of paper tape and just use a strip to hold the patch in place. I only use one patch a week and this method works quite well for me.

Bobbi

Just finishing my first box, and I do what Peggie and Persephone say and clean with alcohol prior to attachment.
    No loss yet. I cover with a bandaid just to remember where it is.

Why would you have a patch on you shoulder? E travels best through subcutaneous fat, like the buttocks, love handles, etc. Also, your doctor told you to wear 3 patches at a time?
    It's Frances with an E, like Frances Farmer. Francis is a man's name.