Thread: An"interesting" morning"

An"interesting" morning"

This morning I took some things downstairs to put into my washing machine. As I walked through the bathroom into the laundry room I realized that all of the rugs were soaking wet. I looked around but I could not see where any water was coming from. I took off my pretty robe and put on some men's pants; got the wet/dry vac and sucked up the water. I still could not see where the leak was.

I knew that I would have to call a plumber. The one that I last used knew me as Carole. So, I did my makeup, got dressed appropriately and called him. He could be at my house in 1/2 hour as he was just finishing up at a place not far from me. When he went into the bathroom he used his flashlight and started examining the toilet. He saw where water was seeping out at the bottom of the tank where it attaches to the stool. Then he noticed that a bolt holding the tank in place was loose. So, the "fix" was to tighten the bolt. However, it still cost $95.

Of course, I was glad to have it fixed so soon as I had an appointment to get my nails done at noon!
    Hugs, Carole

Ah! Now I see why you had to call the plumber instead of tightening the bolt yourself. You certainly couldn't risk breaking a nail!

Platinum Member
    Check around the base of the tank for leakage. The gasket between the tank and base could be damaged too. It's a cheap and easy thing to replace, and advisable if it's been leaking that much.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Reality Check
    Your $95 was not for the plumber tightening the bolt, you could have done that yourself. The $95 was for him knowing that the bolt needed to be tightened. That's why plumbers make $95 per hour and burger flippers make $7.50.

Just to clarify, I am aware that the plumber doesn't get to keep the entire $95, there are business expenses, overhead, truck and tools, etc. to pay for. He probably nets $35 per hour. Still, he gets that because of his (or her) skill and training.

BTW: I once had to remove the trap under the sink in a bra and panties after I dropped an earring down the drain. Now I know to close the stopper before changing earrings.

It always gets me when things as simple as that of just tightening the bolt can cost so much. I know that we pay the doctors and plumbers for what they know not what they do. The same thing would have cost me though about two hundred dollars as I always try and repair everything myself. I would have figured out that it was leaking and then did what Kimdi suggested while I was doing the job. Thinking that it won't be long before the other part will be leaking. I would have replaced the bolts and probably over tightened and cracked something. It always seems I start out with something simple and over do everything. I guess that's why my makeup is always over done and my heels are always taller. I need to learn just to let things be and do the simpler things and be happy.

Reality Check
    A very, very long time ago I worked in a radio and TV repair shop. Remember those? I would go on house calls to fix TV sets. Occasionally, the TV wasn't working because it had come unplugged. People would get angry with me for plugging it in and charging for a house call. My boss told me to take the back off, replace a tube or two (remember those), put the back back on and plug it in. Rather than being angry with me, they were impressed that I was able to find the problem quickly and not charge a lot.

Anyway, If you own a home, it pays to learn to fix the simple things yourself. Of course, many people are not "mechanically inclined" and should probably leave stuff alone. Also, some people make enough money doing what they do best that it's better for them to do that and pay folks to do the other stuff.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I'm glad you made it to your nail appointment on time. It was worth the $95 not to have to reschedule and to know you have a plumber you are comfortable with and who will always be happy to work for Carole.

The power company tree trimmers are in the neighborhood today and I'm expecting they will be coming to the door eventually to ask permission to come into the yard and have me put the dogs away. Do I change before they get here or let them meet Sarah? Always a good question.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Charles View Post
    I'm glad you made it to your nail appointment on time. It was worth the $95 not to have to reschedule and to know you have a plumber you are comfortable with and who will always be happy to work for Carole.

The power company tree trimmers are in the neighborhood today and I'm expecting they will be coming to the door eventually to ask permission to come into the yard and have me put the dogs away. Do I change before they get here or let them meet Sarah? Always a good question.
    Hi Sarah,

You get the idea behind my post. I did not want to go "guy mode" to try to find where the water was coming from. I have had many unpleasant "little plumbing job" experiences
    in my male life. I knew it would be somewhat costly to call a plumber but that is what an older woman does. I would rather have someone else find and fix the problem so that I could get to my nail appointment.

As to the tree trimmers, if you feel comfortable in your presentation, stay en femme.
    Hugs, Carole

Duct tape! "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy". Red Green

I live out of town, and a plumber call always includes an hour travel time. It would take me that amount of time, or more, to go to the hardware store to buy the part. Past experience tells me it always takes at least two trips, because there is always something else I find during the course of the repair. I have decided I prefer to call the plumber who arrives with all the parts on the truck, gets the job done, and sends me the bill.
    "But what is Truth? Is Truth unchanging law?
    We both have truths - are mine the same as yours?"

Hi All, I am a jack of all trades , an a master electrican . My wife is amazaed at all the things I can do. Now on pluming that is why I became an electrian. Plumbing yuck. Jo