Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little humor this morning

Banned Read only

A little humor this morning

I just bought a car that has keyless entry and push button start, so you never have to touch your keys. My wife was raving about this feature on the car she bought a few months back and I didn't think it was that valuable at the time. Here's the conversation this morning as she heads out:

Me, "You know that push button start is really cool. You were right."
    Her, "Absolutely. Do you know how hard it is to find your keys in your purse every time you have to get in the car?"
    Her, "Oh, well you do, but still...."

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    My leaf is like that. No ignition, hence no key to start it. Hence there is no place to put your key.

In guy mode, I end up forgetting my keys in the cup holder.
    Every single time

I need a man purse, as well, apparently
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

Hey Jennifer, my RAV4 has the same feature. I wish it was like my old Ford and had a keypad on the door. When I go to shuttle for a canoe float, I have to hide the fob nearby or put the fob in an otter box. You can't lose the fob or get it drenched. The old Ford was leave the key in the car and lock the door. Keypad would open the door. Leave the fob in the RAV4 and you can't lock it!

As far as wife's slip up, tell her mine corrected herself today when she said I needed to update my summer wardrobe during this weekend's sales. After a second or two pause she said male wardrobe!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

I have a card in my purse, I do need to get another for my wallet.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Fakley View Post
    My leaf is like that. No ignition, hence no key to start it. Hence there is no place to put your key.

Every single time

You have a Leaf! How cool is that! Our VDub had the keyless entry and ignition too and yes it is nice not to have to dig around in my purse to enter, access the trunk and start!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Hi Jennifer,

I had a chuckle at that one. It's the irony in the question. Of course I know .

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Banned Read only
    Hehehehe......funny.

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    That is funny.

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    Our cars don't have keyless entry but my wife hates those big purses so she has small ones with the keys in an outside pocket always handy. I'm the one who can have trouble finding my keys.

On another note I had a car years and years ago that had keyless entry and push button start. I lost the keys and ended up taking the key lock out the door and wiring the wires to a push button. Guess I was ahead of the times.
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.

Reality Check
    I'm apparently one of the unfortunate ones who has to actually put a key in the ignition switch and manually turn it to start the car. And the truck.

On my 1950 Studebaker, I had to put the key in the ignition, turn it to "on" and then push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor to start the engine.

Iris recognition systems are being developed for cars so someday we may not need car keys.

Reality Check
    My 2003 and 2007 vehicles already have a bunch of unneeded computerized stuff for my taste. Lights that fade on and off instead of just switching on and off. Doors that lock and unlock themselves depending on the gearshift position and speed. Dashboard lighting that comes on and goes off depending on the level of daylight. If you know how to drive a car, these things are unnecessary and just add to the original cost, complexity and repair cost of the vehicle.

Personally, I would rather lock and unlock the doors myself than have the car assume what position the locks should be in. I would rather turn the lights on and off as needed than have the car decide.

There have apparently been some accidents and recalls from the keyless ignition systems. What exactly is the advantage of a keyless ignition system? How much does it add to the cost of the vehicle? And what is so inconvenient about a key?

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar
    It's these little comments and moments that signify the true acceptance you have from your wife, Jennifer.

Keyless entry and start Mazda here. My wife gave me her old red Mazda girly car, when she bought a new one. Fine--however--the fob might fit in my purse just fine--in boy mode, I don't like to carry the big keyfob in my skinny pocket. I would rather carry one tiny little key.
    I reach in my pocket for a key every time I have to go somewhere--before remembering that I don't need to reach into my pocket at all. I only need to reach into my pocket and push buttons on the fob when I need to lock the doors or open the trunk.

I'm with Krisi on this one. The simpler the better!

think keys/keyless is bad.
    in a couple years any light goes out, must go to the dealer so the code can be cleared and ONLY then will the light work again.

sad we have be so dependent on computers. what will our offspring do when the power fails?

but for me ok i use the key fob on my truck, so no trunk, all my important keys are on that ring so never gets lost.....

mostly. blond happens ��

Reality Check
    Don't get me wrong, technology is great when if fills a need. I just want someone to explain to me the need for keyless ignition or lights and door locks that have a mind of their own. When I was working we had a pool car that whenever you put it into "park" all the doors unlocked by themselves. Sometimes you might be in a part of town where you didn't want your doors unlocked. What, they never thought of that? In Detroit of all places?

Here's a minor example of what happens when technology fails: We were in my wife's car and stopped at a store. We came back out and the electronic key fob (you have to push a button to unlock the doors) wouldn't work. I tried to unlock the car manually with the key and discovered that only the driver's side door had an actual key lock on it. I had to walk around. The car's battery was dead, it wouldn't even unlock the door.

Fast forward a year or two and one of the key fobs won't work. I changed the battery but it still won't work. Since it's my wife's car, I took the dead fob. But, I still have to walk around to the driver's side to unlock the car. I can't unlock the passenger side and hold the door for her.

That is a funny story ! Had to clean the Pepsi off my Monitor.

Krisi, This info may or may not help you, but I had the same problem with my (clicker) for my car. Took it to a Locksmith. It had been used so much the rubber and contacts under the push button was worn out. He put my printed circuit in a new case and I was working again. I have noticed Auto Zone sells new cases for door clickers, if you want to do it yourself. It is very simple.

Kristi, the problem you described about stuff dimming and coming off and on sounds like a loose ground somewhere. Easy fix once they find the loose nut. But I only listen to Car Talk and that's about it for my expertise!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Reality Check
    I used to be an electronic technician. I've had it apart and replaced the battery. I have tested just the circuit board (pushing the buttons on the actual board). Removing the battery and reinstalling it will usually make it work one time, that's all. In technical terms, it's "kaput". I don't drive her car without her around enough to pay to get it replaced and the car has over 100K miles on it so I suspect a new one will be purchased before too long.

Jennifer,

You made me laugh! This truly shows the strength of your marriage and the sense of humor of you wife. I think a sense of humor is an underappreciated trait in the world today.

Driving a 94 Del Sol, still turning the key to lock/unlock! Oh the pain!
    I do envy those with the whole touch to unlock stuff though, it's pretty cool haha
    "And tell me, why you're staring. Come on, Come on, it must be, what I'm wearing! - Smash Mouth"

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    I'm apparently one of the unfortunate ones who has to actually put a key in the ignition switch and manually turn it to start the car. And the truck.

On my 1950 Studebaker, I had to put the key in the ignition, turn it to "on" and then push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor to start the engine.
    And when you went through one to many puddles, you had to replace the switch!
    Or walk.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]All good things come to "she" who waits!

My 2014 Ford has keyless ignition, but the 1966 Sunbeam has a key AND a button to push in. Still with the top down, even in the damp UK, its great fun to drive, although the wig does need pins to keep in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Fakley View Post

Every single time

I have a man purse, a nice small messenger bag from Coach. You can find them at the outlet stores, or online on the Coach website. My wife actually encouraged me to carry a man bag, and I started with a small traveler's bag, but the need to carry two pair of glasses, a smartphone in a defender case, an Ipod, and a bottle of water necessitated the move to a bigger bag. Carrying it is also a good way to feel a little femme when out in drab mode.