Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Full on 'purse' mode

Part-time girl... Tracy Hazel Lee's Avatar

Full on 'purse' mode

Something I like to do from time to time (while dressed) during the warmer months of the year, is to hop in my car and go make a deposit at my local bank. I usually go after the bank is closed and just use the ATM. I have only done this a small number of times over the past few years, maybe as many as 10 or so times. So while it's not something I would say is exciting, I do enjoy making that small trip to the bank and back, even if it only takes me about 15 minutes round trip.

But something funny occurred to me the other night when I was getting ready to jump in the car. It's a part of every outing that I have ever made outside my house, but for some reason, this time it was a very obvious 'moment'. It was when I grabbed my purse and swung it over my shoulder. For some reason, I thought to myself 'entering purse mode'.

This is because I, for the first time, realized that the only time I ever wear a purse, is when I'm going to leave the house. I almost never wear a purse if I'm just lounging around the house. So now, 'purse mode' is a code I have given to the times when I know I'll be venturing out.
    Last edited by Tracy Hazel Lee; 09-05-2015 at 10:34 PM.
    Tracy Hazel Lee

@URNA @Flickr

I *love* my purse. My purse is my friend. It carries far more than my 'man-pockets' ever could. Wallet, keys, phone, nail kit, meds, store tags, hair bands, make-up kit.. etc.

(Dammit Tracy HL, you have pretty hair!)

I picked up mine at an AC Moore in a couple of pretty color combinations in geometric patterns. I went to Jury Duty with a screaming magenta bag.. and nobody said a word.

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

In a very deep closet but I'm opening the door a little to see a new world
    Haha I love it I haven't got a purse yet as I've never left the house, another thing to add to the shopping list. I agree with mm your hair is beautiful xxx

Can't be dressed without a purse, need all that storage capacity. Even in drab mode I have a bag that clips onto my waistband, not very deep, but perfect for a cellphone, cigs, lighter and a couple of business cards, very convenient.

It's funny, I was out adventuring dressed a little while ago. I am steadily putting together items to build my transformation kit and unfortunately I haven't included a purse yet. So, I was strutting around and felt I would be clocked so easily because I didn't have one. The funny thing is that I have a hobby where I often get access to numerous purses for free and I have never set aside one. Now I am just itching to get one so I can go in purse mode.

Banned Read only
    OMG, I love my purse, it's so damn convenient! My problem is my presentation, I'm typically middle of the road and a purse 'crosses the line' in my mind and that requires a little more effort I'm not always up for 😧. I'd absolutely love to wear one 24/7 (yah, maybe not to bed but in the shower, why not, I could keep soap, shampoo, toothbrush, ...) 😊

In drab mode I carry a man purse these days. It is a small Coach messenger bag, made to carry an Ipad and accessories. For me it carries two pair of glasses, my smartphone, my Ipod, wallet, keys and a bottle of water.

I am currently shopping for another Coach purse for girl mode.

I agree - I carry a purse all the time

tracy, you know the atm machine takes a picture of you every time you go to it, now all the bank people see your purse, I hope it is a pretty one. Marshalynn

it's a key part of the fun - no pockets means a purse ("handbag" to us brits) is necessary (we call a "female wallet" a "purse" - both are necessary when going out dressed!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Now you know why the Scots use a sporran. There are no pockets on a kilt. According to Wikipedia, "Sporran" is Scottish Gaelic for "purse."
    "But what is Truth? Is Truth unchanging law?
    We both have truths - are mine the same as yours?"

I've started carrying a purse almost all the time now. In male mode I have one that I bought at the Container Store that is more of a "traveler's shoulder bag", made of black cloth and just big enough for my iPad Mini to fit inside. Doesn't come off as too girly, but it is definitely a purse. The other is a bit larger, in black leather, and has a floral print interior. Haven't noticed anyone giving me odd looks for either one. Not even when I pull out a gold coin purse to pay with exact change.

in girl mode, I have a bunch of different purses, from tiny hand held clutch bags to big "mom bag" shoulder purses.

Platinum Member
    Hi Tracy, A lady without a purse is like a day without sunshine.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I got my first purse when I was prepping for Keystone. It felt funny carrying it the first time. But just that first time.
    When the answers escape us when we start to fade
    Remember who loved you and the ones who have stayed
    Cause my body will fail, but my soul will go on
    So don't you get lonely I'm right where you are

Quote Originally Posted by Charona View Post
    Now you know why the Scots use a sporran. There are no pockets on a kilt. According to Wikipedia, "Sporran" is Scottish Gaelic for "purse."
    I own sporrans (yes more than one) but they don't look right without a kilt. They look downright silly with shorts.

- MM
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

I carry a purse all the time now. Yes there is lots of space and it keeps my pockets empty. I have yet to go into a store yet with it in guy mode. Now where in this thing are my car keys?
    Candi
    Perfection Is a Road Not a Destination

Reality Check
    It wouldn't make much sense to carry a purse around the house except for photographs. My wife sets hers down on a chair when she gets home and it stays there until she leaves again.

A woman wouldn't leave home without her purse because most women's clothes have either no pockets or very small pockets suitable for a drivers license or credit cards. For us to go out, we should be carrying a purse. It seems you have reached that point where carrying a purse outside in "girl mode" is natural and that's a good step.

BTW: You know that the ATM machine has video monitoring, right? Maybe you could ask the bank for copies.

Say hi to the cameras!!

LOL. All the comments about that wig... And that's the cheapest wig I own. Picked it up at Party City a couple of years ago for $25!! Sure, it looks good in pictures, but I would not wear it outside because it doesn't stay firmly on my head (cheap wig = no proper wig cap built into it)... But I agree, I love the way it looks. I'm looking to find a higher quality wig that has the same color and length.

And yes, I am fully aware the all ATMs have cameras. Just for me to get into the bank and over to the ATM, I must also walk past two very obvious cameras. This does not bother me... Besides, the quality of the footage they are getting is probably pretty low. Not to mention, I doubt that they have anyone inspecting every second of footage. Unless something out of the ordinary happened during off-hours, most of what is recorded is probably not even viewed. And if it is, and somebody sees me? Oh well... I walked in, made a deposit, and left. No drama whatsoever. Why would anyone care how I am dressed? I'm actually starting to think (now that I'm writing about this) that I like the fact that I am being recorded and that somebody might view the footage...
    Tracy Hazel Lee

@URNA @Flickr

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Tracy that's kinda cool, purse mode, and your right I never have a need unless I'm out in girl mode so now it's purse mode.
    Love it

I carry a purse daily. I don't need a 'mode' to give me permission.

Neither do you.

- MM

Carrying my purse for a year now in all modes in all stores, banks and even to town hall a couple of times through the metal detector under the watchful eyes of police officers. I think my bangles and rings draw more attention.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Talking

@MM - Nobody is implying that you need permission to have a purse. My initial post was simply pointing out that, if I am reaching for my purse, it's because I'm going out. And because that doesn't happen frequently for me, there's a tiny moment of anticipation (stomach butterflies) that hits me. I just gave it a name. That is all.
    Tracy Hazel Lee

@URNA @Flickr

Hey Tracy, I love going out, so sign me up for purse mode. It used to feel strange caring a purse but not anymore. I'm starting to look for larger purses and better quality.

I love the term "purse mode". I'm going to start using it!
    When the answers escape us when we start to fade
    Remember who loved you and the ones who have stayed
    Cause my body will fail, but my soul will go on
    So don't you get lonely I'm right where you are

Aspiring Member
    The purse to me is like that final accessory. I use a small cross body bag but it's got a lot of room and compartments inside. Once it goes over my shoulder I know I'm "in it now" so to speak, no turning back.