Thread: Ever been denied entry somewhere carrying a bag/purse

Ever been denied entry somewhere carrying a bag/purse

Have you ever been told you couldn't bring a bag/purse into a building/museum/stadium etc meanwhile GGs are permitted?

No but I've had my bag searched going into a bar which was nice, obviously men never get searched for sneaking drink in
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

Nope, never had that experience. Any more details?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Banned Read only
    I am assuming you were en femme. Did you ask why? I've been to venues where everyone has had their bags searched for contraband. The venue does not want outside food or beverages or weapons. An art museum may want to make sure nobody is going to spray paint a work of art.

I'll go with Kate on this. Is there more to the story?

I have had my bag searches when entering the Capitol Building and an art gallery made everyone store their bags before entering but I have never been singled out.

Not ever. Never even been remotely close to being questioned or denied access.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Never been denied entry, I've had my bag searched at the court house for weapons, but so did everyone else(females),I was in male mode and I always carry my bag now it's just part of me.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

The only time I have ever been told I couldn't take my purse somewhere with me was at a dance where everyone, including the genetic girls, was required to do the same - no purses or packs of any kind at all were permitted in the dance.

Way back in the 80s I was very annoyed by my company policy that every bag, briefcase, etc. carried by a male was searched, but huge handbags carried by women were not. Heaven forbid the guards gaze upon something unmentionable.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I like to look pretty Prissy Linda's Avatar
    I carry my purse quite often while traveling or just running errands, only a few times have I had my bag searched by security at airports but so were some of the GG's. As to being denied entry no it has never happened. They just saw a ton of makeup and other girly items,lol..

Yes, I have. They did that last year or the year before at some pro football games in the San Francisco Bay area. I think that it may have been a new policy to prevent hidden objects like weapons or even bombs from being brought in. They limited the size if the bag brought in with all subject to search. I am not sure if that rule is still in effect.

Was not en-femme. Happened at Boston Garden. Here is their sexist policy:
    http://www.tdgarden.com/td-garden-policies/

Specifically calls out that women's bags are allowed but bags are not. I was carrying a women's bag, in drab.

This has happened to me in museums in Europe as well.

I'm a GG and I've had to check large tote-bags when entering stores where shoplifting had been an issue (at a campus student supplies store for example). And book bags were not allowed whether they belonged to men or women.

I've also had my handbags searched when entering secured areas such as government offices and obviously airports.

The TD Garden's policy is not sexist. They search all women's normal sized bags and they prohibit all large bags, briefcases, laptop bags, etc, whether they are women's or men's.

How large was your bag? You might fare better next time, if you just bring a bag big enough to hold your keys, wallet, eye glasses, etc?
    Reine

Depends where you are and what the circumstances might be.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    Nope........................

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post

The TD Garden's policy is not sexist. They search all women's normal sized bags and they prohibit all large bags, briefcases, laptop bags, etc, whether they are women's or men's.

How large was your bag? You might fare better next time, if you just bring a bag big enough to hold your keys, wallet, eye glasses, etc?
    I was told that only women could carry bags for acceptable size. My bag was a small clutch for my wallet and keys, much smaller than that carried by women I saw going in. I have no problem with searching however I don't see how it's not sexist to allow only women to carry a bag.

I've found a few examples of similar problems:
    http://www.baynews9.com/content/news...e_goer_cl.html

http://www.istockphoto.com/forum_mes...hreadid=194661

http://www.capndesign.com/archives/2..._man_purse.php

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...women-can.html

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/01/30...ying-handbags/
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....ickets-8545785

Quote Originally Posted by jeanine38 View Post
    I was told that only women could carry bags for acceptable size. My bag was a small clutch for my wallet and keys, much smaller than that carried by women I saw going in.
    I haven't been to an event at a stadium lately, but it seems so strange they would not allow men to have small man-bags (or purses ... although this is not what non-CDs call them). Men carry them all the time, even in my small town.

We get the New York Times Sunday paper every week. This week it included their 200 page Men's Style Magazine. Most of the pages are ads for men's clothes and accessories. I kid you not, one out of every 3 ads featured men with some sort of bag to carry things in, and they looked the same as women's purses, they don't look like briefcases. It has become mainstream to do this.

You should write a letter to the TD Gardens to complain because they are seriously behind the times. It's understandable to have tight security prohibiting large bags, but a small bag no bigger than the space required to hold things that fit in your pocket does not present a security threat.

The links you posted above showed only one picture of a person carrying a bag, and the bag does look large enough to conceal prohibited items. Also, you did a great job finding stories of orgs that ban man-bags, but you should also do a search for venues where there is no discrimination. I'm sure you will find many more places that do have security measures and that don't prohibit them, than the places that do, for example airports!

<Edit> I just had a thought.

I'm wondering if the places that require security, ban the man-bags because they believe that men are more apt to bring in prohibited items for violent purposes. While this is true (the article I link to states that men have incarceration rates 14 times more than women), female incarceration rates for violent crime is on the rise, in fact more so than the increase in men's incarceration rates. This would be a good thing to research properly, if you plan on writing your letter.

http://www.corrections.com/news/arti...omen-offenders

On the other hand, the statistics do show there are more violent men than women, and security conscious venues may well have good reasons for taking added security measures with men. I don't know.

In any case, if you present as a woman to go to these events, then maybe your bag will not be prohibited? Or ... if you are clocked, security guards might take it that you are in disguise for nefarious reasons. So the issue would then be about discrimination against transgenders. You might also contact TG rights organizations in your area to see what are their thoughts on the matter. You might get a lot of people who will help you fight for the cause.

Good luck!
    Last edited by ReineD; 09-14-2015 at 03:08 PM.
    Reine

The world we live in today with cops being shot randomly, terrorism and what not going on, we have to accept these things. I tend to not go into a large venue like a carnival, ball, park, or a government building carrying a purse or bag. I once was told I couldn't come into court after emptying my pockets. I had a pocket knife, and hadn't been to a government building in fifteen years at that time. I was almost Late for court having to go back to my vehicle and lose my stuff in it for the court appearance. So it's just best to expect this and make preparations to be as light and little as possible. Even if we are presenting as a female.
    Candi
    Perfection Is a Road Not a Destination

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I got searched when I had jury duty and they went thru my purse.
    I passed thru the body scanner and the guard asked me to step to the side because my empty pistol holster had metal rivets that set off the alarm.
    He said maybe next time leave the holster in the car too.LOL
    Never said anything about me carrying a purse.