Thread: Sports... MTF verses FTM

Sports... MTF verses FTM

Not wantin hijack the "What has Caitlyn Jenner done for YOU!?" Thread I had a thought...

I'm thinking Caster Semenya here.

I suspect the issue would be quite different if it were a FMT running in a men's race.

Hope I'm wrong.

I think you might need to clarify your thinking and point here a bit Jems..

Ms Jenner was a highly regarded male athlete who, late in life, has come out as transsexual, and has (arguably) taken a transgender dialogue into the mainstream media.

Ms Semenya is a highly regarded female athlete, who has been determined as intersexed (I believe) but is still allowed to compete as a female and identifies as a female, but has raised the question again of what defines gender for athletics competitions.

Are you suggesting that.... actually - I have no idea what you're suggesting and it would be wrong of me to guess. Does raise an interesting point about intersexed folk and whether or not (or how) their gender identity is influenced by their condition... But I don't see this as comparable to Caitlyn unless you're suggesting that there is more bias against the female in parallel circumstances...? There I go guessing... Hopefully you'll let us know...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Perhaps sports do not need to be segregated along gender lines any more

Daniella Argento
    Wow... Touchy topic. My own thoughts are that whilst some sports may not need to be separated by sex (equestrian, diving etc) others (boxing, football, athletics) clealry do. The physical advantages bestowed by testosterone are just too big in many cases. Some sports (tennis, fencing etc) may reduce this advantage through the importance of technique, tactics and mental and psychological attributes, but even then the stronger muscles will play a role...
    Then what about gymnastics where females probably have an advantage in certain disciplines?
    I think a lot more scientific effort needs to be put in to this before we can make conclusive decisions. It seems to me that even after a few years of hormones and a lack of testicles a formerly male athlete may have some underlying advantages over a genetic female due to previous training regimes (testosterone allows you to train harder for longer and reduces recovery time).

This is based on physical capability.

Sports don't want anyone having an unfair advantage which is why so many have trouble with medication. Simply cold remedies can get you banned.

Men and Women compete on equal terms in horse racing show jumping golf ( if women want too)

I would guess we will only really know if someone who if open about being FTM asks to compete.

Although I would think it would be better if we had no idea who it was for the privacy of the individual.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations