Thread: Interesting offer

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar

Interesting offer

Went to my local shopping centre today, wanted pink laces for my new sneakers.... However, visited my favourite dress shop. The owner knows both boy and girl me, gives me great deals and even when I'm in boy mode, she'll be holding dresses up against me, commenting on how good I'd look in them..

Well I was in there this afternoon (with my wife) when she asked if I would do her makeup. She has a wedding to go to and wants me to do hers, her sisters and her mothers... She was happy to pay cash or pay in dresses!!!

Don't know what to do.... Never done anyone else's makeup before...
    Call me Donna, please

wow, what an offer - say yes and practice on your wife!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

How did that happen ? Samantha2015's Avatar
    Maybe the start of a new career ?? "Transformations By Donna"
    Hugs
    Samantha

Take care Donna...

First I think you should take it as a great compliment... It's a really nice thing to say and very, very affirming for you.

Then have a ponder on the possible downsides... (I'm not being negative - I just think of worst case and risks - you know what that's about...)

You know your own face, skin tone, contours, complexion, etc. You've practised on it for.. what? 18 months? 2 years? You know what colours suit you, how things work for you. You'll be starting with 3 blank canvasses on a fairly important day for them... If things go wrong for you (I'm sure it doesn't for you anymore, but I still have moments...) you just wipe it off and start again. If things start to go awry on W-day...

I tried helping my wife with her makeup a few months back (she doesn't know I'm not bad at it myself, but she knows I'm fairly arty and dexterous) - it's scary and tough... I was confronted with a face that I know and love, but not in a mirror for a change... It's a totally different ball game.

Good luck if you sign up... Make sure your Professional Indemnity Insurance is fully paid up before you go sticking stuff on other folks faces, though...

Katey x (Promoting a Risk-Free Sunday!)
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    Katey,

You voiced just about every concern I have... I basically know how to do me!!! I would not like to think what would happen if I made a mess of it on the big day...

I might point her in the direction of a jewellery store manager I know who does makeup and is desperate to work her magic with me...

But.... So many lovely dresses!!!
    Call me Donna, please

Oh Donna...

I think you're experiencing that long-standing truth...

"I can resist everything but temptation..."

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Banned Read only
    Donna,
    To put this in context I photographed weddings for thirty years and saw some appalling makeovers from so called experts. If the offer proves to be genuine, find out what everyone is wearing and try and compromise their natural colour with the colours of their outfits.
    The biggest mistake brides made was wanting to go natural with little or no make up, they didn't consider wearing white from the neck to the floor needed make up to compete with it, porcelain skin is OK but not against a solid mass of white, plus a veil !

It may be a fun idea but perhaps leave it at you getting a discount and let someone else take the chance with the makeup !

Hi, Donna.
    Is there enought time to do a 'dry run' with said lady before the wedding? This will give you both a chance to see what your skills are really like and enough time for a professional to be brought in in case your attempts don't quite match up.

Cheryl x

Wow Donna,

What a compliment indeed! Cheryl made a great suggestion .. go for it if they are willing!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Gone to live my life
    Hey Donna,

As others have said what a great compliment and testament to your own make-up skills. However, I agree with Katey in that I would not want to be put in a position of (all good intentions aside) of potentially ruining someone's big day accidentally. I like to think my make-up skills are fairly decent but I know my own visage and what needs to be worked on the most. I could not fathom doing someone else's make-up. But Cheryl does raise a good point in that you could do a dry run with the woman in question and if she likes what she sees . . . I say go for it.

Cheers

Isha

That is quite the compliment, Donna. Something to be proud of, but like others I said I would pass on doing someone else's. Especially for a big event. Sounds like a stress overload waiting to happen.

I do my wife's make-up and nails, and she tells people that I do under the guise of, "it's an artist thing." We attend make up seminar's at Sephora's together and on several occasions the SA's have consulted me on colors choices for the other students and themselves. During one particular class I got to do the smoky eye makeup for my wife two of the SA's. They all raved on it and it did look pretty good -- and I had a real blast -- but I wouldn't do it for anything but fun. That said I have traded for my nail art, accepting other arts or crafts in exchange for my nail art.

Banned Read only
    Wow, now that's a huge compliment for sure!

@Katey - I completely agree with the down side consideration. I'm in IT and know all too well 'you touch it, you own it'! You're so logical but in such a sweet way girl! 😊

It is a great compliment. If the other girls have th same coloration as you do, then you may be good to go. If not, I'd get the other person to do the makeup and you be the assistant. That way you get great experience and perhaps a cut of the money/dresses.
    Please call me Lisa!

I wouldn't worry about do someone's makeup. If you are good at it, you wont ruin someone's face. Plus, you'll have multiple eyes watching, they'll speak up if something doesn't look right. Two heads are better than one, it might be some your best work and turn out better than you thought.

My first experience with makeup was doing makeup for others in the theater and later for film. I find it a lot easier to do someone else than myself. (For one thing, the brushes are all pointing in the right direction when i'm doing someone else. )

Ask her if she'll let you do a dry run -- it's a benefit to you both; you get to find out if you're any good and she gets to find out if you're any good. The biggest challenge is figuring out what she thinks she wants to look like. Ask if she has magazine clippings or can describe the look she's going for. Be confident, have fun.

I've done my wife's makeup and found it very easy to do.

Are they expecting that you provide the makeup? Do they want foundation and everything?There are many questions that you need to consider.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    When you're a confident professional, do what u know u can do.

Would u let your neighbor's kid cut your hair just because u like the way he trims his mohawk!?
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 10-02-2015 at 11:16 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Silver Member
    Simple, agree that you will do their makeup if they will get together with you a couple weeks before the wedding to determine how they want to look and let you make sure that you have the right tones etc. If things don't work out they can get someone else. My experience, it is not unusual that women sometime don't like the special makeup. It isn't that it wasn't done right, but it is different than what they are used to and people don't like change.

Besides you can go dressed and enjoy an evening with the girls. Maybe some wine too.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Give it a try.

Banned Read only
    Caution doing your own makeup is very different from doing someone else's.
    You Ned to be aware that you had practice and trial and error with yourself.

Face shapes,skin to and under become very important along with feature geometry.

Unless you Ben trained and practice you might not have the skills to do someone else's makeup.

I say,
    Give it a whirl.
    If it doesn't work, so be it.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Girl underconstruction Paulette's Avatar
    It really much easier to do someone else's makeup because you are looking right at them and not in mirror. The offer is too good to pass up.
    Just and older girl trying to experience all that life can bring.
    "Life is not a dress rehearsal"