Thread: Name Ceremony

Name Ceremony

Today my associate pastor, a ciswoman that has been a friend for 35 years and aware of my status, asked if I had heard of Allyson Dylan Robinson. Kerryn, my assoc. pastor, recently met Allyson at a conference, and learned that she had performed a name ceremony for Caitlyn Jenner. Kerryn would like to do one for me when I finally get everything legally changed (it's in the process, just waiting on a doctor's signature). This will be a private ceremony at the church. Maybe. It's my call on that issue.

Have any of you had this done, or even heard of it? I think this would be a very positive step in affirming my new/true identity.

Allyson Dylan Robinson is an openly transgender person and has been ordained by a Baptist church. Interesting!

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I haven't heard of this before, but if it is something that suits you, why not go for it?

Moderator's note: Would all members please ensure that your contribution to this discussion addresses the merits of having the ceremony and does not touch on your personal approach to or thoughts about religion.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Woman first, Trans second
    I fully intend on having a ceremony when my legal ID change and work transition is complete (just waiting on the court date now). My ceremony, unlike Caitlyn's, will not feature a coordinated all white wardrobe theme, an ocean-front Malibu mansion, or Boy George. It WILL feature a lot of good wine and too much food, thus likely staining the clothes of anybody foolish enough to wear all white. I'm also looking into featuring a boy named George, but AFAIK I don't know any at the moment, musician or not.
    Coming out is like discovering that you've been drowning your whole life after actually breathing air for the first time.

Having seen most of the series, I thought it a fitting and touching way to end the series. I may ask my minister, a personal friend, if he thinks it appropriate for the church grounds or the beach. Not sure. I do know I will be having a burial in my back yard in the near future for my old Driver's license. I figure it has taken me 72 years to get this far, a few more months will not make a difference.

Bobbi

I thought this was kinda neat?? I have a very good friend of mine who has known about my TG for about 17 years. We were chatting earlier in the summer and she offered to have a "coming out" party at her place when it was time.....just get a whole bunch of folks together from work, neighbourhood and friends together to celebrate the start of the rest of my life. Though it will not have any religious context, though I do have a friend who is woman who transitioned with her congregation who would be more than happy to officiate....she is a retired United church minister. I am giving it serious consideration....after all...it sounds like a really good reason to me to have a party???
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...