Thread: and so the neighbourhood knows.....

and so the neighbourhood knows.....

Well, not exactly what I had planned, but sometimes, ya gotta roll with the flow, ya know??? So, here's the scoop.....

Saturday night, 9:30 pm sitting on my couch too lazy to move, still hadn't taken of makeup or anything like that yet, and getting ready to watch a movie, when there is a knock on my front door. I look out the window to see two people there, and through on open window, I recognize one of the voices to be a good neighbour who knows fully about me. So, a bit of WTF??? It's 9:30 at night, what could he possibly want? So, I answer the door. He's there with another neighbour of mine, (who didn't know, but found out) who's having a birthday party for his wife at their house about 10 houses down from mine. (They are all in the late 40's early 50's - so age group was not an issue) They both came from the party and wanted me to join in, as people were asking about me. So they assured me everyone was fine, everyone there is accepting, it will be fun, "come on, Saturday night, don't spend it by your self, join the party, we want you to come and be with us". Now, they also said there was no pressure and didn't want me to be uncomfortable. I was dressed in jeans and a top, still had my make up on and wasn't sure if I was dressed appropriately...they said I would be fine, and they only had jeans and t-shirts on as well.

So, I thought to myself...I can go one of two ways with this....either politely decline stating I'm too tired etc, or acknowledge the genuineness of their offer and accept their kindness and go to the party. So, I figured, what the hell ! So I ran upstairs, ran a brush through my hair, checked my makeup, but on some lipgloss and 2 minutes later we were all walking down the street to the party.

Got there, and his wife (who is a sweetheart) gave me a big hug, and introduced me to her friends that I didn't know, neighbours I did know clapped when they saw me and gave me hugs stating they were so glad I came and how good I looked. Then we settled into an evening of dancing, chatting, eating and just relaxing and having a good time. So, long story short, got home at around 1:30 and had a blast. They said they just wanted me to feel comfortable and welcome in our neighbourhood as Erin.

Not exactly the way I had planned to come out to everyone in the "Hood", but hey, it worked. Sometimes ya gotta just peel that band-aid of in one fell swoop, ya know?
    Last edited by Eringirl; 09-28-2015 at 09:58 AM.
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

There is nothing private about transition. It is a very public process.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Untitled
    I would guess you were ready anyway. You had the option of declining the invitation, but you chose to be Erin. Glad you had a good time
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

I'm so glad for you that you chose to accept the invite! And that you have wonderful neighbors, and that you had a blast! Yay!

I don't expect much from my neighbors; we haven't lived in this house for that long and still don't know any of them all that well. If they pleasantly surprise me, great! If they're close-minded idiots, oh well!

Good for you.

Welcome 'out'.

The coming out process does seem to go on forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    You made exactly the right decision. So glad it went well,and you are now accepted. Wife is still terrified of our neighbors knowing,lived here for 32 years. Sigh, time will tell. So happy for you, enjoy it.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Yup, people are basically good. Glad you stepped out, and had a good time.

Good for you, Erin! Never need to fear the neighborhood again.

Hugs,

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

IĀ“glad you were able to go to the party. From my experience makeup is no big deal.

For business and church I wear lipstick and eye makeup, and wear androgynous clothes. I still function as a man in society with my masculine name John and am known for being male.

John
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

Sounds like you couldn't have asked for it to go better! Congratulations!

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Girls...wme have a party girl in our family. You go girl. Wink. Yes sometimes interesting opportunities present themselves and best to evaluate and go with it.

Sounded like a blast. Next step you host the party. ��

Cheers... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Erin
    Way to go! We are supposed to be out in the world as ourselves. It was so sweet of your neighbors and I think you have just done your part in advancing our cause. Thank you!
    Suzanne

Quote Originally Posted by Eringirl View Post
    Sometimes ya gotta just peel that band-aid of in one fell swoop, ya know?
    How wonderful! So now you are definitely OUT ... you can come and go as you please?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Great story. Shows you it's what we "don't do" that we regret.

Hope you have more fun in the hood out and about.
    Vicky from Michigan

Hi Claire: Thanks for the comment! I have been coming and going as I please from my house since the Spring, but no one knew it was me....they thought there was another woman living in the house!! (quite funny actually...) Now, they all know, and there are no issues. It now means I can participate in all of our neighbourhood events as me, not in icky male mode anymore.
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

That is awesome! I am so happy for you. It's rare in this judgemental society that we live in for people to be so accepting. I hope you can continue to be Erin around all your neighbors, and not only feel safe in your own house, but feel accepted and walk tall in your neighborhood.

That is so awesome Erin; you go girl!

Gold Member
    I love it Erin! Own it! I think coming out strongly shows you are comfortable and trying to slink into it brings out the predators that can sense the lack of confidence. That sounds like a great way to get it done. Smiles!

Banned Read only
    Awesome story Erin, thank you for sharing...it's truly inspirational! 😃

Platinum Member
    Honestly, I'm not sure we can plan our lives. Just enjoy the ride.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

In the course of coming out, I had a mental list, and order in which to do it. My nieghbors were down the list a bit, since we are not close. (and, here in cow country, they're FAR AWAY). One day I dove up my driveway to find my nieghbor standing in front of my house. What am I gonna do, back up?
    I jumped out of my car, and immediately told my story. He was very cool about it, and said he had a lesbian sister (I didn't challenge him on the sexuality/gender mixup).
    He borrowed my weedwhacker, and left. To him, and his, I've just been Paula ever since, and there has been no other mention of my status since.
    There are a lot of good people out there.

So happy for you and making the decision to go and be you. Happy hugs