Thread: Orchiectomy Consultation

Aspiring Member

Orchiectomy Consultation

I've decided to go forward with an Orchiectomy and had a consult with the doctor today. Everything went well, she had no concerns and went through the procedure. She admitted the surgery was very easy for her but acknowledged how it would be life changing, irreversibly, for me. I responded saying that was part of the point.

I don't have a date for the surgery yet but, barring any unseen obstacles, it will likely be in December. Fingers crossed as it would be an appropriate end to one of the biggest years of my life. I had hoped that 2015 would be my last year living as "him"; if the surgery happens and I also get my hair transplant in time then 2016 will be Holly's year!

And if all that happens, you will be one year old in 2016!

One hopes you have also talked this over with a therapist. You can move forward with more confidence when you know you have covered every base.

Aspiring Member
    Hi Dreamer-Girl,
    Congratulations on your approval and best wishes for your future surgery.
    I had an Orchiectomy and scrotal reduction 18-months ago and it was one of the best medical or surgical procedures I have ever had. Yes, it is irreversibly life-changing, but that is really the point after all. This is a choice going forward into "sunshine" instead of remaining mired in the fog; at least it was for me and hopefully will be for you as well.

Best wishes and good luck moving forward into the sunshine of your new life.
    Sandra1746

Aspiring Member
    Thank you, Sandra. Since making this thread, I've been moving back and forth with my decision to undergo the orchi. The question isn't whether I want it, I absolutely do, however there is far too much debate over whether an orchi is appropriate prior to SRS. Some say it's fine, some say they'd prefer not to risk anything, some surgeons are fine with it and others disagree.

I'll be seeing Dr. Brassard one day for SRS, it'll be at least a year or two off though. It seems the longer you wait after an orchi, the greater the risk of scrotal shrinkage thereby complicating SRS. I reached out to Dr. Brassard's team for their opinion. Online I've found he is fine with people getting an orchi pre-SRS, though we can't trust random posts on some forum, hence why I reached out to his team. They replied promptly saying that surgeons prefer Orchiectomy to be done at the same time as SRS. This doesn't really state yes or no to getting the procedure, it's a preference. Sure that preference is really clear though I need to ask, can I wait until SRS? I really don't want to and believe an orchi would provide much needed psychological relief, but do I want to risk SRS complications?

Argh. Such a hard decision.

A year or two does not seem that long and is often required by medical programs in Canada (the one I went required at least two years of observed RLE prior to surgery). You may be over-thinking this.

If SRS is in the plans (and since government insurance will cover it), I would not bother with an orchi. Unless, you want to stop there, which is perfectly fine as well.
    It's Frances with an E, like Frances Farmer. Francis is a man's name.

Aspiring Member
    Hi D_G,
    The question about an Orchi as a separate procedure from SRS really relates to what your final surgical goal is. A daunting question for sure. An Orchi and scrotal reduction precludes an easy labiaplasty because the scrotal tissue typically is fashioned into the labia, some may also be used in a vaginoplasty as well. In my case, and at my age and circumstance I had no desire for the "full" SRS, so the surgery I had was the best compromise. It was also affordable compared to full SRS.
    In the end it is all a set of choices and compromises and a VERY personal decision; everyone's situation is different.
    Best wishes and good luck,
    Sandra1746

The simple truth of the matter is an orchiectomy will result in reduced scrotal skin availability for SRS and will also have scar tissue to complicate matters. It's your choice and your circumstances but consider other factors such as are you very well endowed and uncircumcised. If you are then there's probably enough tissue for SRS. If the answer to one or both is no then you are not doing yourself any favours having an orchietomy.