Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: passing

passing

I was reading a thread on here about us passing as women, in the thread there was a reference about us walking and mannerisms so I decided to go and do some research on my own on how women walk and there mannerisms. I went to Salt Lake City during the state fair, I was sitting watching the women there and guess what the women walked like the guys. After I left the state fair I went to one of the malls there in town well the same result the women were walking just like the guys. I also noticed that when women got out of cars they do it like the guys, on leg out than the other. I also noticed that when women talked to each other they did use there hands. I guess that if we want to walk like run way models(one foot in front of the other) that is ok, in conclusion to my research why are we are trying to walk like models, watch how our wife's, girlfriend, and other women how they walk and there mannerisms. Women come in all sizes and shapes just like the guys. in my opinion I think to pass a women we need to blend in more.
    I love being a girl

My 'research' has come to a little different conclusion. Although, your average, run-of-the-mill, everyday genetic girl, I've noticed, doesn't walk like a run way model with each foot walking or crossing over an imaginary straight line, they do walk and step differently than men.

After reading a thread that stated most women walk with their knees quite close together I noticed that seems to be true. Not all, but many women walk with their knees close together.

The other thing stated in the thread was that GGs walk with their elbows very close to their waist. Turns out it's true.

I'm not sure practicing this for hours is ever going to get rid of my weird cave-man walk I have but there ya go... my research results for what their worth.
    I am not a woman nor am I a man... I am an enby. Hi, I am Wren.

I've never had a problem with it really. I don't take any extra pains with attempting to move like a woman does but kind of do it naturally when in that mode of presentation. Dancing en femme has helped me immensely in this respect.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

You are probably correct in the just blending in to pass. My problem is in no way do I look like a female in my body shape, I feel like my size feet and broad shoulders will never pass, thus I stay hidden. I do enjoy dressing just as much though so this hasn't dampened the spirit. I know GG come in all sizes and shapes but maybe not true of my shape....

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I try to walk in a more flowing motion with shorter steps, knees closer together,shoulders back and elbows in.
    Never really try to do a runway walk because to me it looks like I'm trying too hard.

Silver Member
    Juanita,

Yes, deportment is subtle and has great variance. One thing you should notice is that when women are dressed different (heels, skirts, etc.) they do need to modify some of these characteristics. Walking in spiked heels takes practice. That's why girls at an eighth grade graduation or freshman dance are so akward. But with practice it looks natural, and unnoticeable. There are other subtleties, like hand positions and swing that do differ, but again this varies person to person.

I believe that confidence is more important than technique. Nervousness catches peoples attention and lead to deeper scrutiny.

You can add things over time to create a more gentle and graceful image. Sure some women walk like cowboys and swear like sailors, but they do not have to compensate for a beard shadow, big hands, and a neanderthal brow. Variables add up in each column, leading to a composite score we subconsciously evaluate in observing others. So adding more feminine deportment CAN improve ones ability to "pass" or fly under the radar by not triggering a need to figure out what is amiss vs. what is a Miss.
    Last edited by Meghan4now; 10-01-2015 at 11:29 AM.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Mannerisms are a key factor too so I studied women at malls and other venues.
    I found women tend to carry things like shopping bags or purses slung over the elbow sometimes.
    Talk with their hands and their palms face out and when they make a fist the thumb points straight out.
    There are more minor traits to use that will enhance your presentation if you just make the effort and do some research.

Someone posted this once before, it shows the difference in movements between men and women.

http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLwalker.html

Quote Originally Posted by Juanita S View Post
    I was sitting watching the women there and guess what the women walked like the guys. After I left the state fair I went to one of the malls there in town well the same result the women were walking just like the guys. I also noticed that when women got out of cars they do it like the guys, on leg out than the other. I guess that if we want to walk like run way models(one foot in front of the other) that is ok, in conclusion to my research why are we are trying to walk like models, ...
    Hi Juanita, I'm so glad you were able to observe this. It will stop you from overly exaggerating your movements, which would make you stand out and be read more. If a runway model walked the same way on the street as on the runway, people would also scratch their heads.

It's not that women walk like men. Rather, both men and women generally have a neutral walk, although some males walk in a more pronounced "male" way and vice versa for some women. But, these people's walks are consistent with their body types (height, weight, width of shoulders vs hips, arm length, etc) and if they tried to alter their walks it would not look consistent with their body types and onlookers would sense this.

Have a look at this animation, with sliders you can manipulate to emphasize each gender. You can also rotate the view and alter the mood. Most people do walk in the middle neutral position, or maybe only very slightly on the left or right.

http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/web...bgl_walker.php
    Reine

I would agree for the most part we walk the same. Women have shorter legs usually so smaller steps I don't think the walk will give you away although it might if your dragging your knuckles
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

Interesting study Juanita... I suspect many of us have done this at some time (or still do ALL the time... ) and our results will also be biased by our location and culture, demographics and physiology... Young women definitely have a more 'hippy' style in general - and for me and, I think, many of us, we are subconsciously trying to emulate an idealised woman, probably younger, and tending more towards a runway model than an East German shotputter... Not that you necessarily have many of those in Utah...

Here, I think is most of the truth for us:

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan4now View Post
    I believe that confidence is more important than technique. Nervousness catches peoples attention and lead to deeper scrutiny.

You can add things over time to create a more gentle and graceful image. Sure some women walk like cowboys and swear like sailors, but they do not have to compensate for a beard shadow, big hands, and a neanderthal brow. Variables add up in each column, leading to a composite score we subconsciously evaluate in observing others. So adding more feminine deportment CAN improve ones ability to "pass" or fly under the radar by not triggering a need to figure out what is amiss vs. what is a Miss.
    As long as we're not over-exaggerating things, a little deportment does go a long way.

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Banned Read only
    Your movement when dressed is about problem number 926 on the "passing" problem list. Now, women do not walk like runway models but it is rare when I see a woman walking like a man. There are differences. Stride length, shoulder movement, arm movement, there is a lot there.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Juanita I was just thinking the same thing the other day and wondered is there that much of a difference. So that's why I try and blend when I go out dressed I do try to walk slower and one foot in front of the other but it's hard to change the natural gate. So I've seen others say this just be yourself when out but with just a feminine flare

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I agree that a lot of gg's, as you've noticed in your observations, have many of the same mannerisms as men.
    To me there is a moderate balance when it comes to passing.
    Yes, blend in with the mannerisms such as keeping the elbows in more while not "over compensating".

Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

Silver Member
    "You can observe a lot by watching". -Yogi Berra

Many good points have been already made. I don't care much about "passing" debates, but the topic of walking and mannerisms differences due to gender is intriguing. Physiological differences observable and measurable while walking are the subject of studies. Difference based upon gender can be measured. Pelvic motion and bodily center of mass displacement are uniquely different, by gender.

Pace, speed, physique, footwear, personal fitness, health, learned mannerisms - there are differences in walking styles that can be observed "by watching.

I was out most of today having a wonderful all day Heidi experience and I didn't pay attention to my walk until the flats I had on started rubbing blisters on both little toes! Let's just say my stride was a bit different until I got my shoes off!
    Actually, I find having women's shoes on and having hip padding has more effect on your gate than any thing you can force yourself to do. Odds on, your walk won't be the thing that gives you away. Unless you walk like John Wayne after a long trail ride!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

I've been out with my SO's group many times and these are the things that I have observed: The people in the group tend to walk different from women, not so much with their gait but with their heads jutted forward. The other thing that they do is sit with their legs spread apart (most women that I know don't sit like that)! Women get out of a car one leg at a time with pants on - but with dresses, they usually swing their legs together and get out (otherwise "flashing" occurs). Also, be aware of how you eat - don't shovel food in with your head down to your plate like it's your last meal, take smaller bites if you have to and sit up straight.

In the long run, I don't think "passing" is that important. Not many people really pay attention to other strangers unless they are behaving weird - so don't call attention to yourselves by your behavior.

Many of the mannerisms are fluid like that. Walkkng and stuff. No matter what we do we still have some little things that set us apart. Our physical size is the best one. We cant change that. Yes we all walk simular. Though most men walk toes out, women walk toes straight or inwards. Along with the elbows in the same manner.
    i attempt to make a conscious effort to point the toes in which means they are always striaght.
    Candi
    Perfection Is a Road Not a Destination

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanita S View Post
    I also noticed that when women got out of cars they do it like the guys, on leg out than the other.
    I've heard it said and believe it true, women walk differently due to body mass distribution (or the mass of TnA) 😊 and runway models intentionally emphasize the walk despite many having no TnA at all! Guys are also more 'jerky', they move that way too 😉 while women are much more fluid or 'poetic' for lack of a better word!

As far as getting out of cars, I'm working on levitation, I elegantly float out with my arms spread out and my head held back...OK, maybe I roll out on my hands and knees like a 90 yr old man getting out of a Lamborghini but that would be a cool trick right?! 😅

It doesn't hurt to practice being more ladylike, walking, talking, moving, and the like. But in my experience, the key to a successful outing is attitude. No matter how you walk, walk boldly. Don't be fidgety or hesitant. Act in a way that says "This is who I am. If you like it, great! If you don't, too bad." Act like you have a perfect right to be where you are, dressed as you are, and that expect to be treated with courtesy. You can't do this if you constantly worry about where you're putting you feet, how you're holding your arms, etc. etc. etc. My aim is to be dealt with politely, and have people adress me as "ma'am." I seldom have any problems in that regard, and on those rare occasions when things haven't gone well, it's because I got self conscious and nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by char GG View Post
    The other thing that they do is sit with their legs spread apart (most women that I know don't sit like that)! Women get out of a car one leg at a time with pants on - but with dresses, they usually swing their legs together and get out (otherwise "flashing" occurs). Also, be aware of how you eat - don't shovel food in with your head down to your plate like it's your last meal, take smaller bites if you have to and sit up straight.
    Sounds like a lesson in etiquette!

This one's important too, how to hold your fork:
    http://thumb101.shutterstock.com/dis...t-79240969.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by char GG View Post
    In the long run, I don't think "passing" is that important. Not many people really pay attention to other strangers unless they are behaving weird - so don't call attention to yourselves by your behavior.
    There's such a wide variety of body and personality types out there, that unless a CDer naturally walks like John Wayne, most people won't notice like Char mentioned, unless you do something to call attention to yourself.

Anyway, here's the cute scene from The Birdcage where Armand tries to teach Albert how to walk like a guy, with short clips of John Wayne walking thrown in for contrast (although at the 1:02 mark, JW did walk with a very cute wiggle ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPs1ggt6O_w
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylyn View Post
    I know GG come in all sizes and shapes but maybe not true of my shape....
    Oh, I'm sure if you looked long enough eventually you'd find one pretty close to your shape. Perhaps not as tall, though, women tend to be about six inches shorter than males. But I've seen some pretty stocky built women out there. Svimwear anyone? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFaIcx0WkOY

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi Stevens View Post
    Odds on, your walk won't be the thing that gives you away.
    But at a distance, it will be the first thing someone might notice which will make them take a closer look as you get closer. Men typically roll their shoulders from side to side a little in a way that women don't.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 10-03-2015 at 02:18 AM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Gallagher, the comedian, used to do a bit about the difference between cowboys and women in heels. He'd put on a pair of cowboy boots and walk with his elbows out and it looked like a cowboy. Elbows in and it was feminine. Out, in, out, in, cowboy, woman. it was weird, but accurate.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    I notice feet a lot. Men walk more like The Penguin, toes turned outward. Women's feet tend to stay parallel- far more elegant.
    I used to have a short attention spa

This is what I like about the forum, when we can share tips and observations to help us achieve a modicum of femininity whilst dressed. I wasn’t aware of the ‘elbows in’ and will definitely try it next time.

I’ve observed women from behind and notice that due to the width of their hips and the amount of, er, let’s say ‘padding’ around their bottoms and hips (of which I’m more than a little envious of, btw) they naturally have an amount of sway that males don’t have naturally. Poetry In Motion comes to mind here.

I think Cynthia’s point about confidence is one of the best. If you’re nervous you are subconsciously giving the message that something is amiss and inviting closer scrutiny. If you’re confident then the onus is on the observer to make the judgement. Hopefully, because they won’t want to cause a commotion if they make a wrong call, they will err on the side of caution and treat us like the ladies we wish to be.