Thread: The Pleasure Of Electrolysis

Silver Member

The Pleasure Of Electrolysis

Sometimes we complain about the pain of electrolysis. The cost. The time. The aggravation of not shaving days before appointments.

But then - it happens. Several full clearings in a row, and suddenly the skin on my entire face is like a baby's. A day later - still wonderful. Another day ... the same. My God, what a milestone. My tech doesn't want to see me next week. And doesn't think she can get 2 hours worth of work in an appointment.

I'm far from reaching maintenance. But I've turned a corner. And I'm thrilled!

She has cautioned me about growth phases yet to come. But right now, I can go a week+ without shaving and, even then, only *I* would notice the growth. I know it sounds over the top, but I feel like I have my face back.

Sometimes small wins are a really big deal.

Formerly Deborah Whitney
    This is awesome and I hope to get there one day. It is the little things, isn't it?

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Omg tell me its so..it's real and attainable...I can't wait. Lea if you're pulling our leg I will have to hunt you down����
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Gold Member
    It is real! I thought I would never get there. But it is a great feeling. After the last one, I went about three weeks and when putting make-up on, noticed there were three long hairs sticking out of my neck. They were white, so it wasn't obvious, but it surprised me that I didn't catch them earlier. It is a nice reward! Just run your fingers along the skin too Lea. Feels awesome!

I know that feeling well. Enjoy it before that next new growth stage hits and makes you sad and frustrated again. I have had a few ups and down and am still waiting for that "maintenance" phase to start.

Aspiring Member
    Nice post.

I've had 10 sessions of laser so far and am somewhat familiar with the baby-face feeling, but not completely yet. There's two more laser sessions in my package then I may throw myself under the needle to clean up the rest. One day I will know this "pleasure" you speak of.

Silver Member
    Although I absolutely still expect some new growth, all of my face has been hit many times. The process has been mostly incremental clearing, starting on my cheeks and working out and down. With each session, she re-cleared new growth in the treated areas, then expanded out. There was a period where the difference between treated and non-treated areas became a bit much, so she restarted the process in the untreated area. That was followed by some back and forth between them, then full clearings. It's one approach of many and has worked well for me.

Day 3, post-session, and still feels wonderful!

Untitled
    Many have said "Start hair removal ASAP". Never a truer statement has been made, even if you are just finding yourself, beginning this phase of your transition early is a MUST. Hair removal is time and money costly, the earlier you start, the better your chances of needing little or none after you have had the final procedure in your transition.

I am lucky in that I have very little hair, but it is a pain in the ass having "designer" stubble for a day or two before treatments, thank god it is mostly white hairs, laser treatment dealt with most of the dark ones.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

I remember the "face clearing" turning point fondly. Suddenly, rather than working along at full speed, my electrologist was having to look carefully for targets!

So, I started to find other places for her to go. Chest, back of neck, lower back, etc. After the face, these other areas go quickly.

Congratulations on your achievement!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

As someone who is about to restart electrolysis soon:
    *cries in advance*

Silver Member
    It bears endless repeating, Nigella. Start yesterday. It's a LONG process, much longer than people ever think. The amount of hairs in the male face is staggering. Many of which must be treated more than once. I reckon I've had about 70-80,000 probe insertions, and 2x to 3x that in zaps. One. Hair. At. A. Time. I'm probably 3/4ths done - and that's just on my face.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Yes, the pleasure definitely does come, and it is well earned when it does. After 131 hours of work i am down to about a four hour session for a full clearing, and the regrowth is white and fine. I can go four days without shaving, and only feel a bit of stubble, but those three days are so pleasant. Congrats for sticking it out to reach this point. I must agree, please start it as early as you possibly can. Older hairs are harder to kill, as the follicle dries out and may require higher charges to kill.

The small win of each hair adds up to a great big deal for sure.
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

When I went to Be All in Chicago in 2010 I had to shave in the morning and again at about 5 before dinner. Now after 3 1/2 years and 375 hours I can go a whole weekend without shaving but still need to go to electrolysis every 2 weeks for three hours. I love the fact I can go a whole weekend and have smooth skin.

Start electrolysis early was the best advice I have ever received and can give.
    Vicky from Michigan

Silver Member
    375 hours and still 3 hours every other week ... and only 2 days without shaving? My God, what is your tech using - galvanic? Are those hours all on your face?

I hit my current situation at 120 hours.

I have had ten laser treatments. Now to get red of white and gray hairs. I don't know why I I'm dragging my feet on this. I shave and you can't see any thing so it's easy to cover the handful of black hairs that are stubborn. I need to start.
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom" Anais Nin.

Live, Laugh, and Love Yourself!

Ex prisoner in paradise CostaRicaRachel's Avatar
    Well, you are lucky. I started electrolysis at e3k in March of this year.

I've had 4 clearings so far.

The first clearing 23 hours, second 27 hours, third 14 hours, fourth 26 hours. 90 hours total.

It's been 4 weeks since the last clearing, I have a lot of stubble on my checks and neck,
    but my not much on my upper lip. I am hoping the end is approaching?
    My next clearing is at the end of this month. Wish me luck!
    Although your current visions might be grounded in reality,
    there are no shortcuts to get from here to there.
    Face the facts and realize that you still may have to manifest this
    dream the old-fashioned way: by creating a concrete plan,
    putting in the hard work and maintaining an
    unwavering determination to make it happen.

Silver Member
    I'm slightly lucky perhaps. My tech says completing the average male face is about 200 hours. Greater or lesser density or coverage changes that. Curlier hair adds hours. If you're prone to ingrowns it adds hours. More sensitive skin requires less power or less efficient modes that add hours. The tech's speed, accuracy & skill, and adaptability to the conditions in different areas all matter. I have slightly lower than average density, average coverage, and dead straight, slightly fine facial hair. I expect to hit 160 - 180 hours.

It's really nice to have a clear face. I haven't been able to afford it for about 6 months, but only have a small patch on my lower jaw I need to shave, about every 3 days or so. I think I have about 160 hrs in, maybe 20 to go.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Gold Member
    I am more like you Lea, except I led electro with laser. At 116 hours and the tech can only manage an hour every 6 weeks before running out of hairs to treat.

The discomfort and expense of electrolysis is well worth it. I have not shaved in 35 years. I have never ever regretted eliminating my facial hair. I absolutely hated the hair on my face. Just sayin'.

Jeri

It's been 15 years for me and totally forgotten what it's like to shave my face or underarms. What I do remember about my sessions were when they did under my nose, so happy that is over with. For the initial sessions the person doing this had me go to a dentist to have my upper lip numbed which was great but of course down the road that did not happen for maintenance and it was not nice at all.
    “When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be.” ― Julia Glass

omg...it sounds so wonderful and so painful....but sooooooooooo worth it

Silver Member
    It is wonderful. In my case it has not been very painful. Worth it? Yes. But expensive!

Karen - yeah, a few directly under the nose, right in the center have been real eye waterers.

Gold Member
    Interesting what we can be approached on. I have a friend at work pull me aside. Apparently his tough stubble shreds the collars of his shirts and he wants to clear his neck. So we had a long talk about laser, electrolysis, pain, and cost. And yes, I am as sure as I can be he wasn't making an excuse and is trans*. He also has a beard that makes me wince at how much it will take to remove it. Just his neck could be a tough road.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigella View Post
    I am lucky in that I have very little hair, but it is a pain in the ass having "designer" stubble for a day or two before treatments, thank god it is mostly white hairs, laser treatment dealt with most of the dark ones.
    Gawd, isn't this the truth! I have to get about two to three days growth to give my electrolysist something to work with and I feel just hideous during those days.
    Debby