Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossing a major hurdle at work

Gone to live my life

Crossing a major hurdle at work

Hi all,

As many know I have come out completely at work and now work full time as a woman. Now being in a military setting can be difficult but when that setting is a Headquarters environment with an eclectic group of military and civilian folks in the Nation's capital it does make it a bit easier. Last week I had the opportunity to clear a major hurdle working as a woman in the military world. Specifically, I was sent to a main Army training base to conduct focus groups with combat arms officers for a project I am working on. I have spent a lot of time on this base as a man both in training and instucting. Most of the people I was going to come in contact with knew me quite well . . . as a man. The base itself is 80% male and to my knowledge 0% trans. The culture is combat arms oriented so think uber alpha male. So into this I ventured spending the entire week working and living as a woman (I took no male clothing). It was surreal at some moments but for the most part I was treated professionally. Don't get me wrong I got a lot of WTF stares but things were relatively peaceful for me.

I had informed the appropriate chain of command on the base that I was trans and would be working as a woman, so they were prepared. The working group was awkward at first as I think quite a few older guys (who remember the days when our kind were released from the military) adjusted. With the exception of one, they all settled into a comfortable place and while they struggled with gender pronouns they apologized if they got it wrong and surprisingly were consummate gentlemen in that they always held the door for me (very unexpected). One officer did not adjust well and was quite rude and dismissive throughout, refused to use the proper gender pronouns (always referring to me as "him"). I had a talk with him and let him know he did not have to like it but he still needed to act professionally. When he continued in the rude manner, the chain of command dealt with him and he was removed (after apologizing to me in front of the team). Oh well, you can't change everyone. Following the working group I had to brief senior leadership on the outcome (General level) and surprisingly not one officer at the briefing batted an eye. They were legitimately engaged in asking me questions and used the proper pronouns throughout.

Being on base was a bit odd since the ratio of women to men is very small. So anyone who looks remotely female gets that really creepy toe to head leer. So it was a bit surreal to be put in that uncomfortable position. Not to mention it took a bit of getting used to hearing "Ma'am" vice "Sir" when someone saluted me. As I indicated for the most part it was uneventful with mainly the odd confused stare. I did have one small issue my first meal time in the dinning hall. I was standing in line to get my food when I noticed three junior officers doing the "nudge, nudge, wink, wink chuckle while pointing at me". Now I was in uniform and it was obvious I was a Major so trans issue aside, this was not appropriate behavior from subordinates. So, I left the line went over and asked "Is there something about my personal circumstances which amuse you gentlemen?". I don't think they were prepared for a confrontation and as it was a busy dining hall all eyes were on them. When they refused to respond I asked them again and when a response was still not forthcoming I told them to follow me out the dinning hall to which they complied (it is never good form to dress down a subordinate in front of others). Once away from the crowd I read them the riot act, took their names and the name of their supervisor and asked them if they understood the concept of harassment and how they were breaking that regulation. They got sheepish about it but nodded and mumbled something to which I replied, "Nodding and mumbling are not good traits in an officer gentlemen, I think the wording you are looking for is 'yes Ma'am'". They responded in the affirmative and I dismissed them. I never did give their names up to their supervisors as I think the experience will resonate with them for some time.

So as far as working goes, this is probably the toughest crowd I will ever have to face and things went relatively smoothly.

Not that it means a lot, but I have provided a proof of life photo of me outside my quarters. That was my standard dress on base . . . not super sexy but definitely more comfortable than a dress uniform.

Cheers

Marcelle (Isha)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Marcelle; 10-03-2015 at 06:15 AM.

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    Damn girl.....

You rock..
    Call me Donna, please

always a pleasure to read about your progress marcelle...especially in that environment, your tact and resolve are to be commended,
    as always thanks for sharing your journey with us and i wish you continued success....
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Isha;

I have so must respect and admiration for you and who you've become. So very well done. Yes while also looking the darn good officer. Yes ma'am... I salute you.

Cheers... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Isha- you are so friggin awesome. just...wow.
    When the answers escape us when we start to fade
    Remember who loved you and the ones who have stayed
    Cause my body will fail, but my soul will go on
    So don't you get lonely I'm right where you are

Congratulations on being an officer and lady or gentlewoman, whichever you prefer. Are you career military?

I'm super happy for you Isha!!! Well done!!!

One thing i learned in transition is that many people just don't care that much, I've experienced that feeling of once a person gets over the momentary shock they just get used to it and move on
    I am real

Untitled
    Having served my time, I can understand, in certain circumstances, how discipline has helped in how easy things are going for you. Despite that you obviously have hurdles that need to be crossed, but to your credit you have handled them in a professional manner, as indicated by your direct approach to those who fail to conduct themselves in a proper manner.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Wow, all of the above ... Isha, you are such a model for us. And the way you handled those junior officers, my goodness me. Just one question. How did you manage the living quarters?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Gold Member
    Isha, you are continually creating new spaces for us. That is awesome. I was in the Army in tanks for four years. Even with all the progress we have made since I was in, I couldn't imagine going on a purely combat arms base without an immense amount of nerves. And with no backdown, you are handling it appropriately and with a great level of care (not turning the guys in). My hat is off to you. That had to be a nerve wracking trip and now is quite a feather in your cap.

As you interact more. It becomes much more comfortable. I know those feelings you describe. I attend continuing education courses in an industry that is 99% make. I teach vo tech courses that are 100% male.

An advantage you have many of us don't is rank. Handling disrespect in civilian life is far different than being able to pull rank.

I have tremendous respect for you transitioning as you are. I lived full-time for 18 months without the benefit of FFS or a wig. II know how difficult and challenging that can be.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    So, I left the line went over and asked "Is there something about my personal circumstances which amuse you gentlemen?".
    You are awesome. You handled that with dignity and respect. Thanks for being a great role model in today's military and thanks for your service (and all those that serve(d)).
    - AF

Look girl, act girl, feel girl ... be girl.

amazing.

Not closeted

Not "dressing"

Just being

Let's hear from all those who think they are in 'the middle' just like Isha. Because I beg to differ.

Isha is OUT and proud.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

I believe that you handled the junior officer situation very appropriately, and I bet the word will get around VERY quickly!

Hugs, Bria

DAMN!! That's my girl!!

CFB Gagetown will never be the same....and that is a GOOD thing.... !

Friggin' awesome.

Chat soon.

Erin
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

I'm sure you can take care of yourself but your stories still give me shivers. I hope you do not become an object of hate.

So many men hold women in contempt and this mixed with transphobia can turn deadly.

I'm praying this story has a happy ending. I cannot imagine doing what you are doing in the middle of Alphaville.

Toxic masculinity mixed with the military and a trans woman in the middle of this.

I'm amazed by you and worried for you.
    The Psychology of Conformity
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARGczzoPASo

Mars brain, Venus brain: John Gray at TEDxBend
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuM7ZS7nodk

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Girl, you rock it! Such poise is admirable and not often found. It is so great to see you demanding respect not just for the uniform and rank you earned, but for your womanhood, which you have also earned, and so rightly own.

Hugs,

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyJameson View Post
    Isha's story is what courage looks like.

You're wasting good worry on her. She doesn't need it, she's too busy being free.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Gone to live my life
    Hi all,

Thanks for all the kind comments and support. It was challenging but I truly believe people get used to change quickly and by the end of the week, I may have still noticed a hushed whisper in the dinning hall now and then but for the most part people went about their business.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura912 View Post
    . . . Are you career military?
    Hi Laura,

33 years to date . . . two more to retirement

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Cook View Post
    . . . How did you manage the living quarters?
    Hi Claire,

The quarters are coed with single rooms so no big issues there.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyJameson View Post
    . . . I'm praying this story has a happy ending. I cannot imagine doing what you are doing in the middle of Alphaville.

Toxic masculinity mixed with the military and a trans woman in the middle of this.

Hi Kelly,

Fortunately the Canadian military has very strong harassment policy and a strong TG policy in place. While you cannot change people's attitudes the culture of discipline tends to override the imperative to be a D-Bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Badtranny View Post

. . .Just being
    Hi Melissa,

Love this as that is exactly the way it felt . . . just being

Cheers all

Isha

Isha, you just broke my respect meter and no you don't need to fix it! I'm so proud that you have taken your well earned position in the Canadian Military and are using it to inform others one base at a time. You may not change minds, but you are still educating them. And of course in that quite polite Canadian way.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Aspiring Member
    Isha i am so proud of you my wife the way you hold your head high
    God Bless you sis

Don't worry about the picture, as fatigues are always more comfortable than Class "A's". Well deserved Congratulations is enough!!

Sarah[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

"Sport is for men.......But Ballet is for women" ---- George Balenchine

Isha, you continue to be an inspiration. I hope I can deal with my naysayers with the same aplomb and grace you show.

Marcelle (Isha),

You are always such an inspiration. Your bravery of just going to work in a male-dominated environment should give others afraid of to be themselves courage to push forward. I always look forward to reading about your experiences as it helps me a lot to move forward. If it weren't for your and others like you, I probably wouldn't have come as far as I have. You look great in your uniform. Thanks for sharing! <3

Hi Marcelle,

Congratulations! I love the way you handled the junior officers!

I would love to see the American military adopt the same progressive policies as Canada, and it's astounding that Canada started supporting transition in 1992, even before we had widespread internet! I don’t even know if the US military are close. And I wonder what the policies are in European armed forces.
    Reine