Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stealth or near-stealth dressing questions

Stealth or near-stealth dressing questions

To those of you who wear items of women’s clothing that onlookers either do not notice or if they do it is perceived as “iffy/edgy” (examples: tight jeans, women’s Tshirts or polo shirts that could be perceived as male clothes, stud earrings, long hair, long nails, imperceptible makeup, painted nails, bra showing slightly through shirt, underdressing):

1. How how do you think you are perceived?

• As an effeminate male or gay.
    • As a male who has an unorthodox sense of style (like goth).
    • As gender related: genderqueer/CD/gender-fluid/etc.
    • As transsexual.
    • As a woman.
    • Other, and if so, then what.

2. Which of the above do you feel like when you wear these things?

3. How would you like to be perceived? As which gender would you like to be perceived?

These questions are open to everyone, however if you are TS and/or transitioning, please identify as such in your post ... I'm wanting to get a sense of how the people who dress this way feel, who do not identify as TS and who are known as male to most people in their lives.

<Edit>
    I've just changed my 3rd question, since some of you have responded "human". Yes, I know we are all seen as human and I'm sorry for not being more precise. Which category of human would you like to be perceived as regardless of sexual orientation: male, female, genderqueer, or transsexual?
    Last edited by ReineD; 10-04-2015 at 03:47 PM.
    Reine

Normally if you have a lot of money you can be described as Eccentric
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

I believe I'm perceived as an effeminate male and or gay, I would like to be thought of as gender-fluid and expressing myself as I feel, as to how I feel when wearing my "femme" items, they are just clothes that make me feel comfortable and complete and long hair has always been my preferred mode for as long as I can remember, just got ears pierced not to long ago and love it and so on with nails and make-up. Like my womens shoes (not high heels) in every day use also. As far as perception, male by birth and female by choice.
    Last edited by Allisa; 10-04-2015 at 04:58 PM. Reason: add to part #3
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

I am a crossdresser, and I would expect that anyone that would ever see me out dressed
    first would think WTF is wrong with him....

As a male who has an unorthodox sense of style (like goth).
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Banned Read only
    I've never given it much thought. I'm a Crossdresser. I've had long hair since the late '80's. I had 5 earrings at one time.

I would like to be perceived as a human being.That's it.

1. "disturbing" - in shops like the local big supermarket i know i get odd looks and people avoid eye contact as a rule, their reality is disturbed. Perhaps as an effeminate man or gay or a crossdresser.
    2. i feel like me, i'm a male-female human being, complete, genderless/agendered/fluid perhaps.
    3. just as another person, without judgements
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

I believe I'm perceived as a gay male by those that don't know me. At 6' and 190 lbs and pretty masculine I don't see myself perceived as either effeminate or androgynous. I too would like to be thought of as gender-fluid and confident in expressing myself as I feel. Yesterday we went to the Met HD performance and I wore patent leather shoes and sheer thigh highs under my otherwise business casual attire. Patent and sheers are common at black tie events but this performance was decidedly not. It was fun being a bit of a fashion rebel.

At the moment I’m growing my nails, shaping them and wearing clear varnish. The varnish certainly catches the light in well-lit stores and can draw attention to them. I’ve also shaped my brows to the point of them appearing feminine. I generally wear normal drab clothing for everyday activities and keep dressing as something special.

I guess I’m perceived as effeminate, if anyone notices, but I project a nice, friendly (normal male) personality which I think people respond to more than how I appear.

Does it bother me that I’m perceived as effeminate? Years ago it would have, especially working with the public but now I’m becoming more used to the idea of ‘this is who I am’ and feeling ok with myself. Because the nails and brows help when dressing I feel that the possibility of being seen as effeminate is a small price to pay.

How do I want to be perceived? I guess my maxim is that if I treat you nicely, then please reciprocate and try not to judge me.

Oh, and finally, if the urge to dress wanes or I find the response of people is too much to bear then I can always cut my nails and let my brows grow back!

Hope this is helpful for you.

Cheryl x

As an effeminate male or gay.

I read this as how we're perceived in what is basically daily attire. Not full on fem mode.

As much as many of us like to say "it has nothing to do with sexual orientation", that is precisely how it is perceived by the general public. Maybe there are some (very, very, few) people who don't automatically link the two, but I've NEVER encounter anybody who didn't (that I know of).

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    I usually just feel normal I use to think if someone does notice they will prob assume gay but I've never really thought that much about it. I'm a CD

Raychel,

I laughed and felt better after reading your post.

Thanks!

Daphne

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Omg thank you for starting this thread. This is something I deal with daily.

It has only been about a year now that I have been blending womens cloths into my every day wardrobe. And we will not include undergarment because they are just that, under. I have only been blending simple things like jeans, tees and hoodies. Basically stuff that can fly under the radar. The other thing I have done is had my ears pierced a few more times and for the last two years I have been letting my hair grow out. Been working with a stylist, once a month cut and color and growing it out into an inverted bob. Still a style that can be somewhat styled in a unisex way. Besides that I am also working on growing my nails out and will usually protect them with a clear polish.

So enough about me and to your questions.
    1) To be honest I really dont know how I am perceived. I have never had any rude comments made to me about my choices. Some people have commented on my hair being longer and the length of my nails. But it is never anything that says " Hey whats up with you"

2) How do I feel? Confused as heck. I want to be myself, but honestly dont have to guts to do it,so for the time being I blend what I can, maybe small steps at a time and I can shift from M to F with out it being so overly obvious.

3) Who do I wish to be perceived is a tough one. For now Ill have to be happy with gender fluid, knowing it may be a long time or never that I can make a further and more permanent change. I would prefer to be recognized as transgender and be allowed to be myself, but I am truly afraid to take that chance.
    Erica

I am usually dressed one way or the other...except I will wear panties once in awhile. I am a full boat king of guy/gal. I do not think I can pass and I don't care. I am a crossdresser by those that know not TG. Wearing them brings a sense of calmness to me, and comfortability. It brings up my famine side which I probably need more of. I would like to be perceived as John or Trisha(your call) but just me...I never identified with others anyway, but of course I would like to be accepted...who wouldn't. I find in a very PC world we are more judgmental than ever...
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

1: i would not know, never asked or has anyone given there opinion.

2:maybe just weird, but just being my self.

3: as a woman, but sad a large part of my life must remain male. ( work, mom).

Reality Check
    I wear women's jeans or shorts (actually capris that have been cut shorter and hemmed), panties and usually little gold ball earrings when I go out as "Homer". The women's jeans or shorts are pretty generic, no sequins or fancy stitching. My nails are done in clear polish or none. I feel like and believe I am perceived as a normal male.

I think people who take it further with the painted nails, tight jeans, etc. are perceived as gay.

How do you think you are perceived? Most often at the beginning of an interaction with another as a women. Depending on the interaction it may shift to one of the others, but in all honestly I do not know as I never ask.

Which of the above do you feel like when you wear these things? At first I always just felt as a CDer, but now days more as a woman

As which gender would you like to be perceived? Now days I really enjoy it when I am perceived as a woman, but it does not bother me if I am not.

Now for some clarification on how I dress most days as it is a little different than what Reine listed. Since I telecommute for work each day, the only time I present as fully "male" is when I am at client's office or at corporate office in MA. So today like most days. I am not wearing make up, breast forms or a bra. However, I am wearing skinny jeans, a woman's top, bright red nail polish and long dangling earrings. I always were woman's skinny jeans or leggings and my tops are clearly from the woman's department as they tend to be tunics with bright patterns and/or bling.

Richelle

Silver Member
    Have never asked. Interesting enough no one has stated or given input. I know that a lot of people have seen me wearing women's clothes that were obvious. While I don't wear dresses I wear jeans and sweaters or blouses. A while back I met with a committee of women wearing a turtleneck under my light jacket. A storm hit as I arrived and I had to remove my jacket. The light turtleneck easily showed my cleavage and bra line since the fabric stretched between the girls. I didn't know that a half dozen women were coming. None of them said anything. Did they notice? Had to! I did receive an invitation to come back.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Another penatrating, thot producing post, Reine. At least, it is for me! I have to answer each question twice. Because I just realized the radical difference in how I feel depending on how I present!

As me out dressed:

1. Pretty much as Raychel said. "Weird old man out in a dress". (Remember, I often look pretty attractive from behind. But, when folks see my face, it's a shock.)
    2. Which is exactly how I feel, too!
    3. Female. I believe nearly all of us would prefer to pass when we're out.

Out as Sherry:

1. "OMG! Is that a man or a woman in there?"
    2. I sometimes feel incredible. Increasingly more unafraid, more confident. Sometimes, powerful! Nothing like when I'm out as me.
    3. Female.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    First off.....confused, are those girl those girl jeans and women's boots he's wearing?????? then is he gay????? why would he want to wear girl clothes??????

WHY can't the public see that just like women he might like and it's O.K. to wear clothes of the opposite sex. Those clothes don't come with breasts and a vagina, they are just clothes and that fit a woman's body, if he likes them better than men's why negatively judge him on his preference of clothes he chooses to wear?

And for those that pass completely and there are some, they blend and are accepted as women, yet they wear forms in their bra and a surprise in their panties; now what's wrong with this picture, the public accepts some but not others, I would say the public is/has the problem.

I know with several people I am perceived as gay. Over the past year or so I have grown out my hair and dyed it blonde. My everyday wear tends to be skinny jeans and a woman's top. I regularly get mani pedis. Sometimes with a color, but usually without.

I shop regularly at a cute shop where the owner has always been nice. A couple months ago she hired a new sales associate and the owner introduced us. A couple of weeks ago I went in and only the new sales associate was there. We got to chatting and I mentioned my wife. She says "wife? Too bad I kinda had my eye on you for my brother. He's really goes for feminine guys".

So I guess gay and effeminate.

2. Recently I think gender fluid would be a good description. Borderline effeminate.

3. I would still like to be perceived as a male with feminine tastes/style/desires (sometimes)
    Last edited by Jennifer0874; 10-06-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Over the years i have had many comments on my hair length .I have been told so many times to cut it then more girls would want to date me lol .Unfortunately there is a lot more baggage under the surface than just my hair
    Last edited by Ally 2112; 10-06-2015 at 11:39 AM.
    I have a hubcap diamond star halo

Dressed as Lisa:

1. How how do you think you are perceived?

As transsexual or
    As a woman.

Others can answer this better for me, but I don't attract undue attention.

2. Which of the above do you feel like when you wear these things?

A woman

3. How would you like to be perceived? As which gender would you like to be perceived?
    Female
    Please call me Lisa!

I think that in Kentucky if you are in male mode and wear feminine style clothings, hair style, makeup, excessive jewelry; then you are percieved gay. I really don't think Transgender is considered as first thought. Of course that would depend on where you were at, and how far you pushed the dressing. The uninformed average person usually thinks gay first, then maybe TG, and some don't believe there is a difference. I think that age makes a difference to.. younger people are more informed than older when it comes to Gender expression

I think people look at me and think , I bet he's a crossdresser. If they think about me at all .
    Please Call Me Mandy

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Anymore, I couldn't give a rat's pahtoot about what other's perception of me is. Dressed or not. How comforting it is to elevate from the perception glare into the warmth of being comfortable with yourself. Outside observers always tend to use their own emotional, spiritual or gender non centric filter to evaluate others. I couldn't care less about what other people think.

"Oh look! A crossdresser!" Geez, just look around at how everyone else dresses. At least you put some effort into it!
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!