Thread: To the Seamstress and Hair Cut

To the Seamstress and Hair Cut

It was time for my October haircut. I decided to go to my seamstress' shop and drop off some clothes and change clothes. Then I would go get my haircut. Instead of my normal seamstress, however, I visited a new one.

Having a dress pinned up
    I stepped into the shop and a well-dressed foreign woman greeted me. I told her that I sometimes wear women's clothes and asked her if she could help me. She told me, "Of course." I went back to my car and got my bag of clothes. She showed me to her changing room. I put on a dress that I had bought second hand. It fits great in the shoulders, but it too big elsewhere. I put on shoes. I already had on pantyhose. I walked out and she had me stand at her mirror on the pedestal. Then she immediately had me step down from the pedestal. There was too much of a height difference. She pinned me up and treated me like I was an average customer. She was kind and sociable. She was neither uncomfortable nor patronizing. It felt very warm and natural.

Out to my car in the dress
    Next, I wanted to put on a skirt, a pullover top and a button-up shirt. I wanted to have the button-up shirt altered. Like the dress, it fits me in the shoulders, but not below. In the changing room, I realized I left the pullover shirt in my car. I stepped out to my car in the pinned up dress. When I turned around to return to my car, I noticed an employee of an adjacent shop was looking at me from inside at her desk. She had a subtle smile on her face as though she was amused. I defaulted to an, "Oh well," smile and waved. She smiled largely at me and waved back at me.

Back inside, I asked the seamstress if she had other men who dress like women. She said she had two others. I thanked her for being understanding. She said, "This is something you see in my line of work. You have to get used to it."

I talked with her for a few minutes while getting my nerve up to go out of her shop to my car in my skirt and top. I told her I was going to go get a haircut. She asked me where I go. I told her. She said that her coworker happened to be there now. She told me to go ask for her.

I stepped out to my car and drove away.

At the hair salon
    At my hair place, I walked in and there were two workers and three customers. I spoke briefly to the customer in the lobby asking if she was the other seamstress. She was not. I was seated promptly and introduced to the other seamstress in the next chair. My haircut was uneventful. My hair lady and I talked like usual. After my hair was done, I asked her to take my picture.

haircut3.jpg

Then I went over and talked to the other seamstress. We talked for a couple minutes. It was hard because her head was in a dryer. I told her that I had left something in her shop and that her coworker told me to tell her hello. She talked to me about what I had brought in. She said she would see me when I came back in to get my stuff.

Talkative customer
    Here is where something interesting happened. I walked to the lobby to pay. The other employee was there. A new customer was standing in the lobby. As the employee and I walked to the cash register, the customer stopped moving completely and looked right at me. I said hello, I think. I turned and paid. Then as I turned to go to the exit, the woman was still there and she looked right at me again. I assumed that she disapproved of my clothing practices from her behavior and unchanging facial expression.

I walked past her. She was Hispanic. I said good-bye in Spanish. She responded. I put my hand on the door and I heard her say, "Where are you from?" I turned. She had this whole conversation with me. She thought I might be from elsewhere because I had spoken Spanish. She talked to me about her husband's nationality and how well each of them speak the other's language, etc. She never mentioned my clothes. She was friendly and social. Her facial expression did not change. She was just that way, I guess. She was not obviously disapproving. I had to break off the conversation in order to go.

Back to the seamstress
    I went to my car and drove away. I thought, "Now, where am I going to change back into my menswear?" I decided to go to the seamstress shop again and ask if I could change back. She said, "Yes, of course! Any time!" While I was in the dressing room changing, she told me to come back anytime if I want to dress and visit. She asked me if I saw her coworker. After I changed, we talked for about ten more minutes after I had changed. We talked about family and clothes. She asked me where I shopped. She recommended a store. She even suggested that her coworker might even be willing to take me shopping. I turned that down. (I do not go places with women because I am married. It is one of our healthy ground rules.)

Finally, I told her good-bye and I went back to work. I look forward to when I go back to pick up my "new" clothes!
    Last edited by jjjjohanne; 10-13-2015 at 03:54 AM.
    I am a man who presents male and wears feminine clothes.
    I blog about my outings: https://joeypress.wordpress.com/

Gone to live my life
    Hi Johanne,

What a great story and thanks for sharing. You story about the talkative customer is very interesting in that it demonstrates on how we might be thinking one thing "this person doesn't agree with my chosen lifestyle" base on facial expression and circumstances, only to find out the exact opposite. Sounds like you had a great day and made some new friends.

Cheers

Marcelle

And now the ball is rolling and going to pick up speed! Lets see what happens next time!

Once again a nice story. I like to read about ordinary trips out and interaction with other people. It doesn’t have to be extra ordinary. Nice picture by the way.

So many of us are afraid of what other people would think of us when we are out and about. For the most people we meet they are nice and curious when they talk to us.

Please keep on posting stories like this.

lovely story. It's become my way too, and i feel the best of both worlds!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Thanks everyone. By the way, I LOVE that skirt I have on!!

Wonderful experience johanne I am a bit jealously LOL

But I have a problem when I dress full and no wearing makeup and a wig i don't like to talk to anyone, I don't know way maybe because I am not feeling complete to talk as a girl. Is a good experience but you don't feel like it was been much better if you was wearing all your girly stuff including makeup and a wig?

Quote Originally Posted by Fany27ab View Post
    Wonderful experience johanne I am a bit jealously LOL

But I have a problem when I dress full and no wearing makeup and a wig i don't like to talk to anyone, I don't know way maybe because I am not feeling complete to talk as a girl. Is a good experience but you don't feel like it was been much better if you was wearing all your girly stuff including makeup and a wig?
    On this outing, I was as "girly" as I become. I do not have a wig, bra, or makeup. Sometimes I wear heels.

When I am out in public, I use my man voice. I do almost everything like I would in menswear. I try to take shorter strides when I walk. I also try not to sit inappropriately for a skirt. I do not sway my hips. I enjoy these outings.

Cuando estoy en un lugar público, you uso mi voz de hombre. Hago casi todo como lo haria en moda masculina. Trato de tomar pasos más cortos cuando camino. Tambien, traigo no sentarse inadecuadamente para una falda. No me balanceo mis caderas. Me gustan estas salidas.

I went back to the seamstress today. Both ladies were working. They were SO nice. They had finished the dress. It fits so much better now! I feel like it is too short. But they loved it. I dropped off a second dress. I will have to go back and get the shirt and the second dress later. They took everything in stride and were very kind. They even suggested advising me in sitting in a skirt.