Thread: Joinning a health club?

Joinning a health club?

With winter approaching I don't want to gain that typical winter 5-10lb's. Since being on hormones it's gets harder and harder to lose the weight come spring. I really want to work on my abs and tone my whole body. I want to work with a trainer and really get the body I desire. If I go as my male self then I'm probably not going to get the results I'm looking for. But I'm not sure how I'll be accepted at the gym as Dana. I want a lot of ab workout, aerobics and yoga, like most women do, the last thing I want is strength training. should I just go as my male self and let the trainer know that I'm TG and looking for a more feminine body shaping result or just wing it without a trainer or just join as Dana and show up in my yoga pants, sports bra, and pink tennis shoes?

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    The safest bet is to go as your male self if that is how you typically present. Let the trainer be aware of your overall goals and Im sure they will be more than helpful. You dont have to mention you are tg if you dont think it is important. You are the customer and they will tailor a plan that gets you to your goal.
    Erica

Try my new gentle ab-sculpting exercise for retirees.
    Holding onto to a table for support and balance. Hold your left ear with your left hand. Now touch your right knee to your left ear--10 times; switch ears and legs. 20 times each if under 65; 30 if under 50 years old. Pants can be a binding factor. You must do this in a short wide skirt--or tights--or loose shorts.

i use a gym, sometimes my nails get the odd look from other clientele there, but really gym instructors are there to help you with your goals, so just say what you want, drab or drag.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I really need to join a fitness club because I can't seem to shed my belly fat.
    The winter sucks because I always gain 10 -15 pounds.

I have been working out for over 35 years. We are all at the mercy of our genetic makeup in terms of shaping our body. Since men and women are built differently results, as they say, will vary. You can lose weight and tone your body but unless you are genetically predisposed to have a feminine type body you can only change so much. The best part of exercising is better health which inevitably leads to a greater enjoyment of life. Not a bad upside.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Having been large in the past I always worry I will end up that way again so I have to keep an eye on my figure.

Join Planet Fitness. It costs $10.00 per month, and they have a well articulated corporate policy against gender discrimination of any form, including trans. When they say their gyms are a judgment free zone, they mean it. And by all means, tell the trainer (who you will pay extra for) you are trans and that you want to look feminine. You are in for an a$$ kicking if you do that (the good kind) so don't say I didn't warn you.

Banned Read only
    I've been going to the gym for almost ten years now and the honest truth about your abs is if you want to keep the fat down you need to change your eating habits. You can do 10,000 crunches a day but if you're still eating junk food constantly you won't have that ab shape you want. I'm not saying you have to be a vegetarian but if you workout hard then go to Burger King you're gonna lose the battle.

You should go in and tell the trainer you want to tone not bulk up. The trainer most likely won't care if you're TG or not as that won't affect what sort of regiment (s)he puts you on.

As far as aerobics/yoga goes I've seen plenty of men doing it right along with the women.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by OCCarly View Post
    Join Planet Fitness. It costs $10.00 per month, and they have a well articulated corporate policy against gender discrimination of any form, including trans.
    Right. Except they will throw you out if you grunt too loud. Or wear "intimidating" clothes. Or look to bulked up. If one person complains you're gone.

Banned Read only
    Strength training is an absolute must in any training plan, male or female oriented. Muscle burns more calories than fat. More muscle = less fat. You can control the muscle gain with aerobic activity. Do not give up on strength training.

Double post
    Last edited by Demi88; 10-24-2015 at 07:55 PM.

I swim as a female, several of the gym ladies I talk to have tried to talk me in to joining the gym (gym is in the same building and overlook the pools).
    The issue comes up in the change rooms and the staff have given me the choices (because of the change room open plan design) of to either use
    a) the family change cubical
    b) the mens room (maybe one day, just not really my style).

If I did join, I would do so as a female and not use the change rooms.

As a foot note, back in the late 80's & early 90's I did aerobics in full female attire (tights & pretty leotard) but had to use the mens showers.

My advise, turn up as Dana, and ask nicely if a trainer can help
    If that doesn't work
    Turn up the next day as yourself and ask again
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Right Jennifer. It is very easy to loose fat when strength training because muscles burn more calories 24 hours a day. High weight low reps from the waist down can make legs and rear thicker which looks good to me. I do more reps for chest and back and am satisfied with result. My bicepts and tricepts are too big for a typical fem look; better than big belly IMO. Big chest and back looks ok to me because it helps hourglass effect. Muscle size will shrink fast when stop strength training but they will grow faster next time you resume strength training; the effects of strength training are not permanent. Can do effective strength training with 10 minutes or less a day. I reach a certain size then stop growing so I just keep training to maintain. I push about 70% of my ability to make workout easy and easier to talk myself into training every day.

You can temporarily loose 2 inches in waist for that special weekend with a cleanse which I do about twice a month; I like the way my figure looks after a cleanse. A deep cleanse can remove debris, like stuck seeds, which could intestinal illness later in life.

Then there is genetics. Some can strength train at 100% and not gain mass. Others can strength train at less that 100% and get huge in a few months. Don't have to fear strength training since effects are easily reversible. If you don't wan't big arms then only do high reps with arms.

Whole body high reps would be good, but I'm to lazy to invest the time and maintain lower calorie diet. I can't motivate my self to walk 30 to 60 minutes a day then do a high rep upper body workout for another 30 minutes. My legs and rear get too skinny when I do high rep training; genetics.

Actually Jennifer I 'm in a health club and go in male. I do yoga and Get-fit routines that really push my body. Only girls do those and I'm the only male that works out with them. On yoga I wear my normal workout pants and T-shirt. I would love to do it in fem but have always gone in male. The Yoga teacher pushes me harder than the girls. I appreciate that and told her to keep on pushing me. We men are not quite as stretchable.
    Part Time Girl

I've been in a health club for about 7 years. Mostly I do yoga and body flow, but I used to do Pilates, step aerobics and body pump (weights).

I always go in boy mode, but all these classes are majority women. I'm often one of the two or three men out of 15.

I don't have a problem at all. In fact, many times I've gone to yoga with my toes painted. Very few GGs have said anything about it, and I never got any negative comments.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I had a concern about this as I started further down this road but I think the group I work out with has it right. There focus is on being healthy and strong. Whatever kind of body you end up with after that is a good thing.

Granted we are a different sort but I think I am going to look at things a little diferenntly but overall my goal is to be strong, fast, health.

I really don't think anyone would give you a hard time for wearing your girl clothes to work out as long as you were confident in wearing them. I routinely wear all women's work out clothes ( even that day I wore my champion running skirt on the treadmill) but skip the wig as it would be to warm and possibly give rise to an embarrassing situation. Everyone has their head phones on and as I look around everyone seems to be in their own little world. Do they notice, I would assume so, do they care I am guessing not.

Go for it.

Banned Read only
    IMHO, I'd go as a 'guy' looking for toning and find a trainer to help. The 'Stallone' look, even for guys, is past history!

I joined Goodlife, the biggest Canadian franchise gym. I'm full time, and would never, ever, present male for any reason. They have been perfectly welcoming, and I have never heard so much as a peep from anybody. In the locker room, many women will change tops, but I've never seen a woman there without at least panties on. The showers are individual, and in the sauna, the women wrap up in a towel, and only a few are topless.
    My trainer knows I'm trans, and doesn't care. I'm not sure if she tailors her routines for my gender or not. She only needed to know because they take a ton of measurements, and weights, and BMI's and stuff I don't even care to know, and mine would be a little strange for a woman.
    Workout clothing is the great equalizer. As long as your not hairy as a bear, everyone looks good in their LuLu's.
    Beware the creeps. (usually referred to as 'the unibombers') Every gym has them. They wear grey hoodies with the hoods up, and stare until you're really uncomfortable, or come and work out right in front of you. Just report them. They are, however, the topic of a lot of the good locker room conversations.
    Good luck. IMHO join as the woman you are.

my wife and have for years belonged to a ritzy health club at a high end hotel

with long hair, painted finger and toe nails, i wear leggings and tee's in pilates, body conditioning, yoga and even when i occasionally went and did the treadmill or weights.

when i fully came out to my wife we agreed that i should not dress going to/from the club. so male to the locker room, into semi femme (although lately i have been wearing more shorts/t's ) to please my wife. i really only wear ladies panties and sometimes underdress with a bra in the locker room. i take them on an off confidently, don't walk around and show off. i love tan lines and since i wear a bikini at the beach i have white triangles my breasts that are clearly visible in the shower, drying off and in the sauna or steam.

i wear the big soft fluffy towel like a woman does (high under my arms and over my breasts). it is wide/deep enough to also cover my genitals. do you think my pink van's flip flops are a give away?

my wife told me that one the male pilates instructors who had been in the locker room and seen me ( i do not hide) told my wife that "she will be out in a minute - she is just blow drying her hair"....i was very cool [in fact pleased] with that, but it sorta freaked her out.

no worries..... i think every one knows but doesn't say anything...but my wife is so very concerned about putting other people in an awkward situation.

I go to the gym underdressed. Usually have a pullover bra underneath my gym shirt, and I'm pretty discreet while changing. If anybody's noticed I'm wearing panties, nobody's said anything.
    I find my Amy persona somewhat more motivated than my male self.
    Stay inspired
    Amy

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurana View Post
    ...You can do 10,000 crunches a day but if you're still eating junk food constantly you won't have that ab shape you want. I'm not saying you have to be a vegetarian but if you workout hard then go to Burger King you're gonna lose the battle.
    I'm telling you, if you are doing 10,000 Crunchies a day, you will definitely put weight on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

I just watch what I eat and walk. That seems to keep the pounds off but I am going to join a gym too I think. Want to lose about 15 pounds so I can go down a couple dress sizes.
    Hugs,
    Bree
    Brandy Mathews

Join a gym - good!

Lay off all the bad but nice to eat foods (including Crunchies...)

Walk or cycle everywhere you can - saves $$$ too...

Lots of aerobic will give you a lean, but male figure... I don't believe there's any exercise that will overcome a lifetime of hormones, but if you can look lean, I'd guess many mature women would love to have that type of look...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta