Thread: London in a kilt

London in a kilt

I will be in London for business in February and plan to do some sightseeing. I'm not someone who can or will try to pass. However I would like to spend my leisure time in a skirt or kilt. Will I likely encounter any difficulty? Any tips on keeping my legs warm?

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Bloody cold in February. Kilts are worn more as a wedding thing by Scots these days, not every day wear. I'm sure a genuine Scot can advise with more authority though .

Personally, if you want to wear a skirt in our winter time, accessorize with leggings. Could also go for a tunic dress and leggings. Ankle or knee high boots will compliment nicely.

Whereabouts in London will you be? Central London is very cosmopolitan and you would encounter no trouble at all.

Backy ...edit - oh *ugger...should have been BECKY!
    Last edited by reb.femme; 10-26-2015 at 05:42 AM.
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

To be honest you are far better off waring a skirt as a Kilt (while it may seem like the safer of the two options) will likely make you a tourest attraction. If you don't mind the attention go ahead. Never once have I seen a kilted individual in London.

Hi Jeanine,

No trouble at all for the kilt... In fact, if you're around at the time of the RBS 6 Nations rugby tournament, there'll probably be a number of itinerant Scottish supporters also sporting their sporrans aboot the capital, even though the team will be playing elsewhere... As long as you continue to cheer for 'The Devils in Skirts', you'll get along fine...

As for keeping warm, leggings are a good idea (as proposed by Wacky Backy... or was that Becky...? ) but you'd best not hang out with the real Scots folk if you do that...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

kilts not a problem at at. I have a friend there who makes fashion kilts for men, including e.g. white with big roses on!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I'm a Brit who goes back to "ole blighty" every year and so knows London fairly well(ish) and IMHO you can get away with a kilt no problem. Ok, you don't see them every day and so what debstar says about being a "tourist attraction" is probably true, you might get a few "looks" but I think for the most part people with think it usual to see a person wearing a kilt in February! ... BRRRRR!! COLD!!
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

As a local, +1 to what others say, kilts will attract attention from tourists, not Londoners.

People don't care what you wear as long as you stand to the right on tube escalators and always have your Oyster card handy when entering/exiting the gates.

I'm from the Netherlands and never been to London so I can't say anything about the acceptance but I should read the warnings about the weather very closely. The Netherlands has the same kind of weather and in February that's cold, very cold. I don't think it will be pleasant, Tucking won't be a problem tho.
    do not label me for i am unique

even though i am not from london, i often visited and sometimes in winter. if you are used to warmer weather, expect it to be cold. like mhh... if you are from the us, i would say the new england area kind of winter cold. So if you really wanna do that, you might wanna consider thermal underwear and leggings. otherwise enjoy your trip

london's warmer than amsterdam in the winter, not quite as temperate as Cornwall, but still its only a few cold days, every several years might be some snow, but the mass of city keeps it warmer than the land around. leggings under a long flowing skirt will go a long way, and english ladies often wear 2 pairs of leggings in the winter
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pamela7 View Post
    ... and english ladies often wear 2 pairs of leggings in the winter
    Totally wrong! It's one pair of leggings and wrinkled skin underneath. Just looks layered and un-ironed.

London is a great place (I would say that wouldn't I?) and so long as you're not naked, anything goes...almost anyway.

Becky
    Last edited by Katey888; 10-26-2015 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Fixed quote box
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

I'm from north of the border. If just wearing the kilt, its suprisely warm cause you've got 12 yards of material around you. It kept the Scottish troops warm for generations so it will keep you warm in London.

Banned Read only
    Dressing how you choose in London shouldn't be a problem ! If you intend to go drab then a kilt should work, if you want to go dressed maybe a nice tartan skirt but wear some nice boots to keep warm

I don't find any fun in a kilt, a heavy woolen garment that needs to be worn with, and without the proper accessories.

Skirt, leggings and long boots are the "costume" I have worn.

No one seems to notice, especially in December.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

okay Becky, down here in't west country them there ladies do wear two pairs 'o leggings without it showing, but i'll cede to your expertise on whether london ladies will not be seen dead in two pairs :-)

Jeanine,
    How to keep warm in February in London really depends on what weather you're used to. If February behaves itself then it is likely to be cold and wet. However, there's a reason that us Brits talk about the weather so much - it can be really unpredictable! So... If you're wearing a kilt - get a proper 12 yards one and some highland socks. You (bottom half at least) will not be cold (unless you're used to the Tropics in which case no garment has ever been made that will keep you warm in a London February!). If you arrive in the middle of the Six Nations Rugby (especially if Scotland are playing England in Twickenham) then you will not be the only kilt-clad person in town! Otherwise? Who knows?
    Have fun and stay safe!

P.S. If it's not already a criminal offence to wear leggings with a kilt (either a proper "men's" kilt or a kilted skirt) then it should be! The two just don't mix. :shudder:
    Last edited by Judith96a; 10-26-2015 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katey888 View Post
    . As long as you continue to cheer for 'The Devils in Skirts', you'll get along fine...

Katey x
    The Black Watch play rugby?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Lorileah, i would say Katey was referred to the film "Carry on up the Khyber"

Don't get me started! A proper pure wool kilt, good kilt socks and a pair of decent brogues will get you to the North Pole! Mind you as someone else said, about tucking. Tuck what?

No, really, you will be as warm as toast - go for it!!
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!