Thread: Injections, another road block

Aspiring Member

Injections, another road block

This is just a little vent, comment if you like but I just wanted to get some thoughts out.

***edit*** Maybe this thread can serve two purposes. The first being me venting, the second being a request to others to help me see that injections really aren't a big deal.

Met with the endocrinologist again today to discuss my last blood work. Levels are all good though estrogen was still a little low despite, at the time, being on higher than the supposed max dose allowed in Canada for estrace. They've since switched me to patches, haven't had levels checked since the switch yet though (that's December). The doctor had no concerns overall with the latest results.

Despite no concerns on their part, I still feel like things are moving far too slowly. Yes, yes, I sound like a broken record. Though, at 16 months, I wasn't expecting the world, but I was hoping to see less of "him" in the mirror. I again inquired about injections. It's really bothers me that the doctors whose care I'm under have such little knowledge of them. One says their illegal in Canada, another says they've heard of them but highly doubt their efficacy, another isn't comfortable because they aren't regulated. Even my GP said he's never heard of them being prescribed for trans folk. Different stories from different people. The one commonality appears to be that they don't prescribe them in my city.

I'd be lying if I said I haven't considered self-medicating. Though, for the record, I know how stupid that is and will NOT be doing that...it's just tempting considering the continual roadblocks.

Why are injections important to me? My body seemed unresponsive to pills, liver was too efficient, I guess. Patches are annoying. No skin irritation (very little at least), but they themselves are annoying and don't seem overly practical for long term hormone administration. Now, I'm certain injections have their own set of annoyances but doing them once every couple weeks, not having to worry about passing through the liver, or silly stickers falling off from rubbing against clothing and/or leaving adhesive outlines. Also, and this is probably my naivety speaking, I believe just about every MtF I've spoken with and read about seem to have positive experiences with injections. My doctors question their efficacy yet in the examples I've seen, fully admitting I'm not a professional, they appear to be more effective. Naturally it all depends on the person...which probably negates much of what I just said. I also want injections because I simply wish to try them. After experiences with pills and now patches, I'd like to see if injections make any difference. They may, or they may not, I'd just really like to have them as an option. It's frustrating to be denied access to potential help.

Again, this is just a vent. Comments and input is always appreciated but not necessary here. I recognize I'm speaking out of frustration and may not be thinking straight. It just feels good to type and type and type sometimes.
    Last edited by dreamer_2.0; 10-30-2015 at 12:02 PM.

I've been injecting weekly for 3.5 years. I have modest breast growth. About a small B cup. Hormones did nothing for my face, my hair got thinner and the sides and top stopped growing. I developed zero butt and hips.
    I needed facial reconstruction and still see the male.

If you think hormones will erase the male, you may be very disappointed.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Aspiring Member
    May be disappointed? :P

Silver Member
    I always had to get the injections on my own.

Silver Member
    I have experimented a little bit with oral estradiol. I have always taken it sublingually. But I have changed it up a few times before blood tests to see how approach variations affect serum levels. The optimum for me seems to be taking anti-androgens and estradiol once per day, which I do at bedtime. Doing that knocks my T levels into to the basement, whereas I had difficulty getting it that low before. And my E levels are modestly higher in blood tests taken the next day (always before noon). I also make a point of keeping the E under my tongue and not swallowing for 20 minutes. Works for me. YMMV. My dosages are relatively modest (can't specify here) and levels are within their target ranges. So if you can't solve the problems with injectables, there may be ways you can adjust your regimen to get better results.
    Last edited by LeaP; 10-30-2015 at 12:07 PM.

Injections aren't really a big deal. There I said it.

They aren't after you get used to them. I am a veterinarian so I have been giving them for 30 plus years. Of course I have been vaccinated and had meds given to me and they didn't hurt either. So when the choice came for hormones injections were the wise one. No worry about metabolism in liver, no wondering how much is absorbed. Once a week. Over two years now, maybe three painful injections that hurt a week later and two where I must have hit a small vessel on the way in and bled. Blood levels were above normal the first time, reduced dose and now are "normal" I know others who have fought with levels for the whole time with orals and patches. For me, in the medical field, injections make the most sense. And you can do them, it's easy after you learn. It is also convenient ...as long as you remember to do it.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Feeling like things are moving too slow and seeing "him" in the mirror are psychological issues.

Transition takes the time it takes; you cannot force it.
    It's Frances with an E, like Frances Farmer. Francis is a man's name.

frances is right..

this is not a road block...

F the mirror!!
    LOL... seriously, live your life ....keep your eye on the prize

.....i know what it feels like to need to proceed and its not all working perfectly... you gotta power through it ..you can do it... don't get down about this...its not worth it.
    I am real

@Dreamer_grl

I'm sorry your going through this right now, but everything will work itself out. HRT is a painfully slow process, and it takes time. There will be changes that you may not see until 2, 3, or even 4 years on HRT. Often changes occur after you get SRS. I personally know a transwoman that said she got little changes from HRT, and she had SRS six months ago. Since then, I've noticed that her skin looks way softer than it used to.

Judging from the photo you posted on another thread, it looks like your face has been significantly feminized - I couldn't see any resemblance between your face now and your face in your driver's license, so it looks like something is occurring.

How does your skin feel or look to you?

Do your breasts/nipples feel sore?

Have any breasts started growing?

I don't know what the law is in Canada about injections, but I do agree that injections are the best method of estrogen delivery, and I know of a couple of transwoman who got fantastic results from injections.

Honestly, HRT results are literally "your mileage may vary". Some people get fantastic results, some people get very little results. Some people see results quickly, others see results very slowly. There are literally no guarantees. Some people get great facial feminization, others may get great breast growth.

I personally find that my breast growth comes and goes in cycles. They didn't grow much the first six months. Then I went through a breast growth spurt for about 4-5 months and developed a large A / small B cup. Then they seemed to stop growing again for a few months. Now, in the past month, it seems they've started growing again.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that you can find injections or whatever gives you the best result. Don't give up and hang in there
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

I took pills until about a week ago when my dr switched me to patches. I asked about injections but she wasn't keen on them for me as I'm post op. She felt that there would be too many peaks and valleys. Personally I don't care how I get the estrogen in me as long as it works and I can remember to do it. With pills I'd forget a couple days in a row on occasion and then I would get terrible migraines.

You have to lower your expectations to none. There are no guarantees with HRT, you get what you get.
    Much of what makes men look male is bone deep. No amount of estrogen will reverse the masculinization that took place to your bones. You can erase much of it in the face with surgery.

@ Lea, I uesed to do sublingual with the pills then after a year or so I just couldn't be bothered so down the hatch! Lol

^
    Same.
    I'm too impatient to wait for the pill to turn into a sandy mess that will get in every mouth crevice.

As long as the levels are in range just roll with it and give it time.

I can vouch injections are a very effective way to deliver estrogen [in my case, estradiol valerate].

I started on Oestrogel in Sept. 2011 and I got only minimal changes. Then I went to injections in 2012 and the is when my breast growth really started to begin. In December 2012 I purchased my first bras, 40B. And the following December I bought 40C´s. December 2014 I bought 40D bras. As I still have intense breast growth pains I have my 40DD bras ready to use when I can fill them.

Of course not everybody has the same outcome as I have - my paternal grandmother had enormous breasts.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

I have been on injections every 2 weeks for 2 years, 4 months, 2 weeks, 5 days now my breasts are busting out of my B cup Bras an my skin is so much softer an smoother an my pelvis is wider( I was born Intersex an have a female bone structure an have female internal organs) My face is changing more. I'm not disappointed with the injections at all ...
    Sarah Michelle Collins

Started HRT with Spirotone on 05/18/2013 an Estradiol Valerate Injections on 06/14/13 an Progesterone injections on 12/29/2014