Thread: When to start HRT

When to start HRT

Aside from the obvious permissions from a physician, how did you decide when to start HRT?

IT seems to me to be a bit arbitrary, but very important decision

This is it in a song,,, ( When the Whisky Ain't Workin Any Moreeeeeeeeeeeeee ) ,,,,, lol,,,,
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

There is nothing arbitrary about starting HRT.
    It's Frances with an E, like Frances Farmer. Francis is a man's name.

I made the decision when I needed it for my mental health and when I knew I was going to Transition.
    Do you need HRT?
    Last edited by becky77; 11-04-2015 at 09:35 AM.

I made the decision when it was apparent that it was the path for me. Or, as my therapist put it, "The decision was already made, you just didn't realize it yet."

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frances View Post
    There is nothing arbitrary about starting HRT.
    Agree.

I'll leave the question of why alone. It's pretty obvious anyway, leaving aside the strained justifications at the margin. Plus, the OP asks when, not why.

So the question, interpolating between the OP title and text, is HOW did I decide WHEN to start? I had two criteria. They were being prepared to accept consequences, and willingness to transition.

The first was in recognition of medical risk, side effects (including sexual function), and permanent physical changes. All are consequential in their own ways. More so than some think, I believe.

The second is a little nuanced as well as intertwined with the first. It didn't mean I would necessarily transition, but that I would not put myself in the position of starting HRT were I not psychologically capable should it turn out to be the right path. The short version is that the scenario of being on HRT and needing to transition but unwilling to do so would have added probems and not solved them. This consideration was unique to me. I didn't WANT to commit to transition at the time I started HRT. I strongly wanted that final confirmation and I wanted to give it 6 months at a minimum. But I had to know that I WOULD be willing if that was the necessary path after 6 months.

When I satisified myself that I was there, I started. It took a few months. The final certainty, or sense of rightness about the decision really, hit on the drive to my doctor's office.
    Last edited by LeaP; 11-04-2015 at 02:43 PM.

Samantha,

I guess it would depend on your personal circumstances, but if you know why, time is burning.
    Last edited by Nigella; 11-05-2015 at 12:24 PM. Reason: We do not permit moderation actions to be discussed in the main forums

I'm with Leah. I started HRT when I was prepared to accept the consequence of blowing my family apart, loosing my wife and ending my marriage, as I knew that would be the case, and it was. Also, when I knew that not transitioning was no longer an option if I wanted to survive. May seem pretty blunt and bleak, but I am being totally honest and that was/is my reality.

Best of luck!!!

Erin
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

When HRT became the option to going out on the ledge. I had to, and I knew it had to be right away, after considering it for a mere 54 years.
    I think you will know when the time is right.

Gold Member
    Thumbs up to Erin's reply. I worked through "could I survive the negative outcomes" and when I finished discussing the last possible item, I asked to move forward.

Once I knew that I would transition I promised my wife I would wait one year before HRT. I kept working on living socially as a woman and coming out to friends and family during that year. I knew that once I started HRT I would have to come out at work within a year I thought due to appearance. No I couldn't make it a year. For me the train picked up speed and I came out at work after 6 months of HRT. I scheduled my SRS after a few months. So I think you should be prepared for everything to change when you begin.
    Suzanne

Aspiring Member
    When you're ready.

Dysphoric thoughts were with me since childhood. It wasn't until adulthood when I was ready to understand and face them. Lots of research. Lots of therapy. Lots of long-winded posts on this site.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Samantha, at the risk of sounding negative, you have not posted anything to suggest that you are suffering from Gender Dysphoria so I am left wondering why you asked the question.

Hormone Therapy is not some kind of designer accessory that should be taken lightly. If taken for a long enough period it will start to rewire your brain and will affect your ability to function sexually as a man.

For someone who is transsexual and can no longer function in the role of the gender that they were assigned at birth, hormone therapy is a life-saver and there is nothing arbitrary about the need for the treatment or about the decision to accept the treatment and to begin transition.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

I had declined transition in the past, but as I was looking at the small pile of Klonopin in my palm, I thought that maybe I should give the hormone thing a whirl. So, I had to wait a little while to deal with the depression, and then started HRT once that was under control a few months later.
    Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hairstylist you like.

You people are wonderful, thank you for these posts. I know I am transgender, I have had this since very young. I am at the stage where I am out working a day or so a week as female and for the last 16 years I have never dressed male at home. I have absolutely no interest in purchasing male things for the last 5 years. I have one pair of male pants and 3 jumpers and 2 boots, and rooms full of ladies clothes and shoes. The depression that is increasing when I have to dress as a man is very distressing, and I really cant cope. There isnt any way I can not transition. My sister saw me dressed outside this week, and we agreed she would tell our parents which she has, and she rang to say they are ok with it. Anyway, just to say, I read through all this advice and everything you all say just clicks, I know this is the place I want to be. You are wondeful people, thank you.
    Last edited by Tiff; 11-08-2015 at 03:39 AM. Reason: typo