Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does size really matter?

Let's face it tall women stick out in a crowd. That can be a good thing or bad all depending on how you present, unfortunately you are judged before you get a chance to present. I know, because I notice tall women. Me personally I think a good looking woman over 6' is totally hot. I'm 6'2" and even as a guy people notice me for my height, as a woman can only believe that it's more. I would love to be like 5'5"-5'7". Be able to fly below the radar and let people judge me on my presentation and personality first.

5ft 6 or 7 and 145-150. When I was younger I always wanted to be taller. I realize now how blessed I am to be a woman's size. I have seen many stunning woman that are much taller. Presentation and confidence is key.

I feel the same way, Angela. I've looked into the number of my favorite actresses that are the same height of me and it actually makes me feel better about myself.
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I'm not a girl, Not yet a woman.

at 6'1, i am a foot taller already than my wife...in my stilettos you can only imagine.

i go out mostly in 1.5 to 2" sandals or wedgies....and just assume a confident air (although it is much thinner up there)...when i go out with her i usually wear flats

we can not hide the fact we are tall and do not blend in as easily as someone shorter....but what can you do...

Well , like some GGs might say it's not the length it's the girth. I think just pure thickness is the dead giveaway. Thicknes in the arms, shoulders, legs, and ESPECIALLY, the belly. Nothing says "guy" more than that thick bear belly and spare tire that looks uniquely masculine. I pretty sure I could really pass in a lot of situations, but I need to get down to my good weight again and loose about 45 pounds. So perhaps aside the wig, forms and other accesories , weight loss would help me the most. Thinner guys csn look very feminine indeed.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Without a doubt being over 6ft does make me stand out but when dressed I just go about my business does it make people look more carefully at me maybe but I just act normal

I'm 6' 1", wear a red wig and love wearing 3-4" heels. Am I, in any given crowd, the first person that everyone notices? I really don't know! I suppose that it depends on the crowd. Do I care? Not particularly.
    As regards 'presence' - someone (talking about me in male mode) recently told me that I do have a certain 'presence', that they had observed that when I walk into a room people notice. I'm not sure that this guy wasn't playing some sort of angle and I don't know what he made of my response ("time to get more effective deodorant then"). One thing is certain - whether or not it happens to be true it had certainly not occurred to me! Perhaps people are more aware of us than we realise.

Unfortunately it does! I'm 5'8" and with heels I'm taller than probably 95% of women. Been trying flats lately but I love to walk in heels be they boots, sandals or shoes. It feels more girly!! But alas if you want to be in public without much fanfare, shorter is much better.

I'm 5'10" and wish I were a couple of inches shorter. I think I would look better if I lost some weight me being 185 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    Maybe you don't notice you, but everyone else does (I'm also that height, and have been told I have 'presence'). Change it around a little. A woman who's 400 pounds walks into a room. You don't think anyone notices? You betcha they do.

Might not say anything or look up, but they notice. Size does matter. That's why the expression elephant or 800 pound gorilla in the room is used so often.
    Nope. Still need to disagree. I have walked, many times into a room. Stayed for awhile and left. Then had a plethora of people ask me where I was and why I didn't come in/over. It's all in how you present yourself.
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same

I'm 6'2" and I am noticed and remembered.

I've been to a restaurant twice, three months apart, and had the waitress say "I remember you, you sat in that booth over there (pointing) the last time you were here!"

I routinely have salespeople in stores that I haven't visited in months say "Welcome back, it's nice to see you again!"

I've had people walk up to me and say "I remember you from the concert at the Nethercutt last month! We were standing in a restaurant in the middle of Los Angeles, several miles from the Nethercutt collection.

The beauty of it is that none of these encounters have ever been unpleasant. People seem to be happy to see me!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra* View Post
    As for taller people it must be nice to be able to reach the top shelf in flats.������
    Yes, but the bumps and dents on the top of my head from low hanging items kinda' detract from that 'benefit'. Oh, and I asked my sister if anyone notices her height anymore (she's six feet tall). Her reaction? "Are you kidding? I've been taller then every boss I've ever had. Of course they notice! And some of them don't particularly seem to like it, either".
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Hey I'm new to all this and just wondering if being 6'1, is a 4" heel pushing that 7' mark?

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

My post was in regard to 2B Natasha's reply lol

I am 5'7" and a size 10. I hated being a shrimpy little guy, but as myself, I enjoy being a girl of average to slightly taller than average size.

But for you taller girls, consider this. I have a GG younger sister. She is my biological sister. She stands 5' 11 3/4" barefoot. That is right. She is a quarter inch under six feet tall. Even though she almost never wears makeup and dresses in mom jeans or androgynously, she never gets misgendered.

So do not worry about your height if you are a six footer. Own it and enjoy it.
    Carries a spray bottle of "pink fog" around with her in her purse at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer1991 View Post
    Hey I'm new to all this and just wondering if being 6'1, is a 4" heel pushing that 7' mark?
    Uhhhhh; 1+4=12????? No. I'm six four, and a four inch heel doesn't make me hit the doorjam (which is 80"). Most people slouch a little so you've got plenty of leeway.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicky_Scot View Post

Do you think if your over say 5' 10" then you are like a neon sign when your out in public and that you are the first person people notice?
    You might be the first person 'noticed' or you might go unnoticed - depends on situation and environment. Obviously, height and size are always factors, but so are - location you are at, number of other people, what people are doing there, time of day, lighting, what you are wearing, how you act. And should you care if you are 'noticed'? You can't do anything about your height, anyway. Enjoy being you.

Does size matter? Yes and no, I think is my response. I am 6'4" in my stockinged (or pantyhosed) feet. If I am out as Michelle I will likely have a minimum of 2" heel so now I am at least 6'6". Will I be noticed? Sure, every time. Does it matter? No.

On the first occasion I went out with my wife whilst I was in Michelle she told me on our way home that she had seen quite a lot of people look at me. I think she was putting that down to my being crossdressed; my response was that they did a double-take at seeing such a tall woman. As likely as not they would realise on second look that I was not tall woman but a tall crossdresser. I notice tall women, as probably all of you do, because they are relatively unusual. I have even come across one my height - met her walking along the street and realised we were eye to eye as we passed (as far as I can recall I think I was in Stephen mode at the time).

On another occasion I was out with two friends from our "Girls" group - a pre-op TG (now post-op) with her GG partner. As we walked along the High Street in Exeter a couple caught us up and spoke as they drew level. The male of the couple's attention had been caught by the very tall lady - he was quite tall himself and was very surprised to see a lady so much taller than him. Once alongside us he realised why and we got into conversation; they were both interested in us as a group of people, his girlfriend was hugely complimentary about what I was wearing and would have loved to wear the same.

I figure that at my height I am going to be noticed whether I am being Stephen or Michelle. I try not to wear clothes that draw extra attention. There are tall "girls" in our group who wear tiny skirts - to me that is inappropriate, particularly for someone my age - you don't see 60+ year old women wearing micro-minis (not where I live anyway!). My legs are very presentable - I get a lot of (envious) compliments from GGs - but I restrict myself to, at most, a few inches above the knee and it seems to work out ok.

Yes, I get noticed but I look presentable; but I accept that and I know people will look and if they do say anything it hasn't, to date, been an issue.

Michelle
    xxx

Reality Check
    Yes size (height) matters. It matters in many ways but since we are talking about crossdressing here, very few genetic women are 5' 10" or over. Most women are in the 5' 6" range (more or less). If you are taller than the average woman (and most of us are), and want to pass or "blend", you should be wearing flats in public.

Anyone taller than the rest of the people will be noticed and once you are noticed for being tall, you will most likely be noticed for being a dude dressed as a woman. If that's your goal, fine. If not, save the heels for around the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer1991 View Post
    Hey I'm new to all this and just wondering if being 6'1, is a 4" heel....
    You can't just add heel height to your height, since ankle rotation reduces the effect of heels. I'm 6'2" and a pair of 3" heels puts me at a measured 6'4".

The other thing about tallness is, beyond a certain point, we are just considered "tall" by our vertically-challenged sisters. 5'11", or 6'3", we all look the same to them!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Being one of those vertically challenged sisters I can attest to that!
    I'm pretty much craning my neck to get a glimpse of you eye shadow if you're above 5'10" (yeah, I kinda am that vertically challenged.) so yeah... you all pretty much look the same from down here.
    I am not a woman nor am I a man... I am an enby. Hi, I am Wren.

If you appear feminine and you are tall, say 5'10" and up then YES, you will be noticed more, especially by men.
    There is just something mystical about a tall woman and from the guy point of view I can say undoubtedly that I and all my friends will notice (if not stare a little, ... ok a lot), simply because a statuesque woman is something special to behold in the male eye.
    That being said, you will be noticed also because the average height for guys even is probably about 5'9" or 5'10" and anyone over that average will be noticed.

Personally, I am 5'12" and love my heels. When I began going out I had the fear that my height was like a lighthouse beacon screaming "Look At Me". Now I just don't care. I am me and if someone wants to show an appreciative eye then I am more that willing to accept that look. If they stare then I hope they are enjoying the view and if they take a picture, then OMG I'm a STAR!! Maybe I'll change my name to Kardashian....NOT !!
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I wish I was shorter, 6ft without heels feels really tall to someone who hasn't stepped out of the closet yet, I love 4" heels or over, I know how easy it is for people to spot me as it is.
    Sarah Jane : > I wish I was a house wife

Banned Read only
    I'm six foot even and down from six foot one. Thanks old age spinal compression. As to a guy's height. A guy may also stick out, if he is over six foot four. Who you are standing next to or among also has a bearing. My six foot four son is 14 inches taller than my daughter-in-law, who is also a size zero. He can carry her around as if she was luggage. The mind's eye is expecting to see men who are six foot one, two, three. The mind's eye is not accustom to men at six foot eight, nine or ten. I see people taking a second look/glance at extra tall men. Of course, if a man is attired as a man, then that's it.

Women? Well, a woman who is six foot is a head turner or at least worth a second glance. If she is among girlfriends who are short, then she is really noticeable. If she is next to a six foot four guy, then....hm..maybe not so much.

If a six foot plus cross dresser gets a second look, it is because there are other features that will cause the mind's eye to take that second look. It's probably an unconscious thing. I can only assume, if a cross dresser is 100% passable, then the second look is probably the same as a second look of a natural woman. I'm sure I have not noticed a very tall cross dresser because she may have been 100% passable. Now, if the height draws my attention, and, I will limit myself to observations I have actually seen, then, yep, "There's a cross dresser!" I've seen one particular very very tall cross dresser twice. She added extra height with five inch heels. I'd guess she topped out at five foot ten. She was wearing very very short cutoff shorts that were not at all modest. Blond hair. It was obvious she wanted to be scene. Everyone noticed, but, nobody around her on both occasions made an comments. The second needed a lot of refinement. She should have gone to YouTube for instructional videos. I could not tell if she had no sense of style or made any attempt at feminine composure. Or, maybe that's what she wanted to convey.

I'm six foot even and 195 pounds. For my age my physical appearance for a man is really a heck of a lot better than 75%-80% of the men I see around town that are my age or twenty years younger. I do attract second looks and smiles from women, while other guys passing the same women do not get a second look. OK, OK, my wife has nothing to fear.

If I were to don a pretty dress and three inch heels I would definitely get that second look. I'd be ID as a MtF cross dresser. And? I don't know! I don't do it because my wife would not approve of it because of all the societal hang ups out there. The potential risk of losing relationships has to be considered.

If you're going to go out and assert yourself just be aware of the potential consequences of your actions, especially if you reside in a state that does NOT have adequate laws to protect sexual identity and expression.

I love the term vertically challenged. However at 6'4" flat footed, i find i am vertically challenged. Always banging my head, ducking door ways and ceiling fans, bending way over to see in the fridge, gosh if you fall it's a long way down. Add 4-6 inch heels and ooh my you stand out.
    All kidding aside, hieght will make you be noticed more.
    Candi
    Perfection Is a Road Not a Destination

Every thing that stands out from the average woman makes a difference, and height is just one of them.

As many already said, we are taller than most women, and that makes us stand out. I'm 5-11 so even when I wear flats I'm tall for a woman. Yes that means I'm more noticed than a, say, 5-6 lady. A tall genetic woman is more noticed too. It's neither good nor bad -it's a fact.

Then again, wearing lipstick in the morning also makes you stand out, and I do it (at least gloss) since I hate my thin lips. I also wear skirts all the time just because I like it, but in the Chicago winter 99% of women wear pants, so that stands out too. Needless to mention, the moment I open my mouth it's like a neon sign. Every detail counts.

I don't have delusions of "perfect passing". Sometimes I lock eyes with another person (usually women) and I know I've been read. So what? As long as they are nice, I'm fine with it.