Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bathrooms, Discontinuity and Our Community

@Marcel,
    I appreciate you are no threat, I appreciate we are mostly no threat, and I appreciate the concerns of all parties, knowing there is no solution that meets everyone's needs given likely considerations of planners. In a private home we have no gender controls on the bathroom. It is only my opinion that out of concern for the primary GG users in a mixed environment I would default to using the mens' room. I'm not saying what anyone else should do, but I am outlining a reason for considering being the nobler and tougher party by protecting the concerns of others first. I'm lucky to be a "big guy" (in the eyes of others) but I've never been a fighter so I'm not exactly going to be great at self-defense; when I was young my policy was to be the fastest to run away, and a fight was a cornered last resort of self-defense. I also appreciate you know the dangers all too well. It's a judgement call. Maybe one day i'll change my mind and use the ladies room.

@Becky - yes, i like the army uniform metaphor.
    Last edited by pamela7; 11-17-2015 at 12:13 PM.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Umm, many people enter military bases in civilian clothes every day! No uniform required.

A more applicable metaphor is "If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it should use the facilities intended for ducks!"

To do otherwise creates confusion and conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by becky77 View Post
    I find the bathroom/changing room debate to be tricky.

If I walk into a female changing room and so does a male identified crossdresser, visibly how can you tell the difference?
    But if the crossdresser removes their clothes they are a man, they think like a man. Therefore there is a man in the woman's changing room. If you think of it like that it's unfair.

I think some crossdressers are so wrapped up in the experience, they are not being respectful of the boundary they just crossed.

If you are a man that likes wearing women's clothes, you are still a man. Maybe you shouldn't be going into a woman's area.

I know that will annoy people but it's the cold hard truth. It's not a game it's people's lives and feelings.

It's this disregard for boundaries that makes genuine TS woman suffer possible discrimination.
    Speaking as a CDer who identifies as 'male', can I say that that's not quite the full story. I've neither the need nor the desire to enter a 'woman only' changing room. However, I may need to enter a lavatory in order to answer the proverbial call of nature. Depending on the context the "inhabitants" of the "gents" may pose a greater danger to me than I pose to the comfort of the "inhabitants" of the "ladies"! This is especially true if alcohol is involved. So what should I do? Pee my pants? Wear a nappy? Use the 'disabled' loo? Or use the "ladies" as unobtrusively as I can?

Non-binary/Questioning
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaP View Post
    Let's go back to the restroom. (Whoops - we can't both go there! Gonna have to meet right here!) I'm telling you, we don't have the same problem! That one suggested solution is based in part on superficial aspects of physical similarity and stereotypes doesn't make it so. Further, that the unified solutions suggested are all worse than my (at least) original problem. Finally, my ability and willingness to help you solve your problem has been all but obliterated. That's not going to change as long your insistence on commonality, single solutions, and overreach represents a threat (broadly construed).
    LeaP - I'm not completely sure I'm understanding your point, but I think you're saying that 'one size' does not 'fit all'. You've said that different groups under the TG umbrella face different problems, and that a blanket solution is inappropriate because someone is going to lose out. You distinguish between TS and CD, and state:

Quote Originally Posted by LeaP View Post
    TS - Problem: Access to women's restrooms. Pre-op and/or pre-documentation change, a practical problem, a legal minefield, and rights no-woman's-land. Post-Op with documentation updated, this reduces to practicalities and passability (at least until someone passes a "birth sex" bill somewhere).

CD - Problem: Safety in the men's room. End of story.
    I think we can all take it for granted that trans women should have access to women's washrooms, and that trans men should be able to tinkle in the gents'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm getting the impression you're implying that CDs' concerns are somehow muddying the waters of TS bathroom rights. Leaving that aside for the moment, though, there are two physical accommodations that could be made to ease the problems faced by TS (or CD) folks:

1) Single-person genderless bathrooms,

2) Gender-nonspecific facilities.

The former are not always an option because of building codes and space concerns, etc, but should be adopted where possible. Large gender-nonspecific facilities are not going to happen in North America any time soon. This, as I see it, leaves only a couple of possibilities:

1) Permit access based on 'passing privilege',

2) Permit access based on self-identified gender,

3) Permit access based on official documentation of gender.

As you've noted, these all have their own problems. First, they all run up against the problem of failing to 'pass'. Additionally, the documentation option imposes additional burdens - it requires that you carry your papers with you, obtaining them is a lengthy process that may not be available to all (for reasons of cost, social marginalization or the actions of gatekeepers), and/or the documents may not match one's presentation at any given moment. All three options, ultimately, discriminate against non-passing trans people (because those who pass aren't challenged in the first place) and carry other burdens including a significant risk of violence, primarily (but not exclusively) in men's washrooms.

Now, the main respect in which CDs differ from TS women is that, while they present as female, they don't identify as such. They still face violence and harassment if they fail to 'pass'. If we reject the transphobic claim that male sexual predators might put on dresses to assault women in the ladies room, then it doesn't matter if the 'men' in question are CDs or are actually trans women - either should be able to use the ladies' facilities if only to avoid violence in the mens'. This gives a fourth option:

4) Permit access based on gender presentation (regardless of gender identification).

Any option will produce discomfort for some. Any GG woman who objects to the presence of a TS woman in the washroom probably isn't going to be much more put out by a CD. A CD or TS who passes isn't going to cause any problem at all. I think about the only argument one could make to exclude CDs is that most of them are 'more obviously' male, which again boils down to marginalizing those people (CDs and TS) who don't have 'passing privilege'. Saying that one person who is wearing women's clothing identifies as female while another doesn't is an argument that can be just as easily turned on its head and used against TS women, as has been done by the TERFs - why should internal identification matter if the bits (or even the DNA) indicate that someone is male and is 'invading womens spaces'?

Given that men tend to be more violent than women, and that men are responsible for more sexualized violence, and that toxic masculinity (and the policing of heterosexuality) is arguably behind a lot of homophobic and transphobic violence, option #4 seems to me to be the one that ensures the safety of the largest number of people - GG and TS women and CDs - in our current society. From a 'safety' perspective, I am in essence making the not-unreasonable assumption that the number of TS and/or CDs who will assault women in women's washrooms is substantially less than the number who will be assaulted in men's washrooms. My concern vis-a-vis CDs here is, then, to reduce the potential for violence against a minority that is stigmatized based on their gender presentation (I confess, though, that I'm not firmly wedded to this argument and am prepared to be convinced otherwise). I will say (and recognize that I'm being somewhat inconsistent) that I am generally in favour of excluding CDs from women's spaces that specifically limit admission to 'women or female-identified people' because such spaces are typically for people who experience more marginalization and in more ways.

Ultimately, dismantling the gender binary and abolishing gender stereotypes from our culture would benefit everybody because then anybody can present or identify as they like and all will be able to use the same bathrooms.

Oh come on Erin you're nitpicking.
    I agree on the Duck thing, but what if it pretends to walk and quack like a Duck.......

Quote Originally Posted by Judith96a View Post
    Speaking as a CDer who identifies as 'male', can I say that that's not quite the full story. I've neither the need nor the desire to enter a 'woman only' changing room. However, I may need to enter a lavatory in order to answer the proverbial call of nature. Depending on the context the "inhabitants" of the "gents" may pose a greater danger to me than I pose to the comfort of the "inhabitants" of the "ladies"! This is especially true if alcohol is involved. So what should I do? Pee my pants? Wear a nappy? Use the 'disabled' loo? Or use the "ladies" as unobtrusively as I can?
    Hi Judith, I appreciate your honesty. If you read my previous posts I wouldn't expect you to use the men's toilets. Using the ladies is the safest option as it stands currently, it doesn't make it the right option.
    Hence my stance from the beginning that we have different needs to be addressed, that one rule doesn't suit all.

Silver Member
    Use the men's room. If needed, bring someone with you, ask a proprietor, whatever ... Your actual issue is restroom safety, not women's restroom access. Solve YOUR problem without creating one for someone else.

Re military base access - you have to show ID and there are criminal penalties for unauthorized access or problematic IDs. Do you really want to continue using this analogy?

Right...

its amazing to me...
    I'm truly sorry if you chose to shop pretty at a mall and get fritzed out because of the men's room...i really am..i have three words ...Deal with it.

Turning into a social justice crusade for transgender bathroom rights is ridiculous.....

and since way way way way too many people still consider us to be men or dehumanize us, it does not help for people to raise their hand and say 'hey i have the same problem'...it DOES muddy the waters...just look here...and we are a cohort that actually has interest in discussing this...most people do not...

if there were no cd's in the world, transsexuals would have very little issue with this...we'd get legal papers or therapists notes..end of story...
    if there were no ts's in the world, crossdressers would be laughed out of town if they made a big deal over this...
    I am real

Silver Member
    What she said.

My God… I don't even feel the need to elaborate…

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post
    if there were no cd's in the world, transsexuals would have very little issue with this...we'd get legal papers or therapists notes..end of story...
    Except it wouldn't be.

You're sacrificing those people who are in limbo waiting to transition. Having papers with not keep you from being challenged.

In another thread, I've mentioned that our LGBT affinity group had Ian Harvie visit us for a night of entertainment and my involvement in that event. I got to talk to him a fair amount and I asked what did he find to be the most difficult thing about transitioning. He is now 47 and I believe he transitioned maybe 10+ years ago. He said the hardest thing for him was the great fear that he felt when he entered the men's restroom. The thing is, after all these years, he still feels very uncomfortable. It's not as bad as it initially was, but it still gives him pause. Anyway, it doesn't have much bearing on this conversation, but it is an interesting data point.

DeeAnn
    Last edited by flatlander_48; 11-17-2015 at 07:40 PM.

Woman first, Trans second
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    You're sacrificing those people who are in limbo waiting to transition. Having papers with not keep you from being challenged.
    I don't understand why you keep bringing up being challenged as THE problem. The possibility of being challenged is a fact of life, and fixing that is about getting society to catch up comfort-wise. I'm legally a woman, and I can be challenged - I have to deal with that. But I have the right to use the facilities that are appropriate to me. We're talking "rights", not "everything being super easy and rainbows and puppies". That's not how civil rights works. You start with rights and protections; prejudice takes time.
    Last edited by Zooey; 11-17-2015 at 09:37 PM.
    Coming out is like discovering that you've been drowning your whole life after actually breathing air for the first time.

I just hope that I never move so far along the transition path that I find myself intolerant and unsupportive of those who happen to be behind me.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Zooey View Post
    I don't understand why you keep bringing up being challenged as THE problem.
    Then the flip side of that would say that you are OK with folks being humiliated in public. My guess is that people who are attempting to live as their appropriate gender for the year, or whatever it is, in order to demonstrate their seriousness are in a particularly vulnerable state. It just seems like it isn't a time to be throwing them under the bus.

But, the point is that denying me also denies them. The thing is, you can't just throw out on opinion in a vacuum. You have to consider who can be effected and what the impact to them will be.

The possibility of being challenged is a fact of life, and fixing that is about getting society to catch up comfort-wise. I'm legally a woman, and I can be challenged - I have to deal with that.
    Yes, but I would hope that you are in better shape than the people that I'm talking about. You're well along in the process. Very different situation from someone waiting to start.

But I have the right to use the facilities that are appropriate to me. We're talking "rights", not "everything being super easy and rainbows and puppies". That's not how civil rights works. You start with rights and protections; prejudice takes time.
    That's a bit presumptuous, don't you think? The part about telling me how civil rights work.

DeeAnn

Woman first, Trans second
    Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    I just hope that I never move so far along the transition path that I find myself intolerant and unsupportive of those who happen to be behind me.
    I'm confused... As I understand it, you are on HRT and identify as a transexual woman. By any measure I can think of, if a documentation-based protection were to be implemented, there would no issue for you (beyond what any of us deal with). My belief is that anybody undergoing appropriate treatment from a licensed medical or mental health professional should pass the documentation challenge if said professional agrees that it's appropriate. I don't even think HRT is necessary - a note from a licensed therapist is sufficient. This is about identity, not appearance. This is only slightly more permissive than the current federal documentation change requirements, and approximately the same as the California DMV requirements.

Then the flip side of that would say that you are OK with folks being humiliated in public. My guess is that people who are attempting to live as their appropriate gender for the year, or whatever it is, in order to demonstrate their seriousness are in a particularly vulnerable state. It just seems like it isn't a time to be throwing them under the bus.
    People in a one year RLE period, at least in many states here in the US, are generally doing so for the purposes of getting clearance for GRS. Federally, and in many (most?) states (hopefully more on the way), there is no such requirement for obtaining a legal name and gender change and updating relevant documentation (birth certificate being a sadly common exception). I would like to meet all of these people who are somehow living full-time as their appropriate gender without having at least partially modified their legal identity to match.

Forgot to say, I'm not okay with people being humiliated in public. That's a terrible thing. It's a different problem though, that is solved on a different time scale. It's is a problem with humanity, not with the law. Changes to the laws generally precede such changes.

That's a bit presumptuous, don't you think? The part about telling me how civil rights work.
    I didn't say that lightly. Without opening up a GIANT can of worms, my point was to restate the hopefully obvious parallels to other civil rights struggles. We can't legislate people getting along. We can legislate rights and protections, because we believe it's the right thing to do even if our subconscious actions don't always line up with it, and then we have to work culturally to catch up. History shows us that it takes a long time for that last bit to happen, and that the legislation evolves further as we make progress.
    Last edited by Zooey; 11-17-2015 at 11:26 PM.
    Coming out is like discovering that you've been drowning your whole life after actually breathing air for the first time.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    This has turned into an argument where one member is trying to force everyone else to accept that their point of view on an issue that was not even the object of this thread is the only valid one and insulting members as part of that strategy. Thread done.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity