Thread: Got referral today.

Got referral today.

Went to see my local NHS doctor and asked for a referral to the local gender clinic. He was really good about it although I could tell I was his first. After much googling and a few telephone calls he sorted out the address and contact details.

We talked a little bit about my past, CD and all that and he seemed happy to pass me on

At this very early stage I am excited and also very scared.

I came out as trans to a very good friend of mine last night and am happy to say it did not go very badly except I was not prepared and a little drunk so was a bit of a mess. Just waiting now to hear back from him to see if I still have a friend or not. Really worried about that.

Instant messaging is not the best forum but seeing as we live half a world away it was the best / only option. But yeah perpetuation could have been better.

Electrolosys is not so bad.. but it's going to take a long time and a lot of money.

Weeee, lots going on just venting here.

Hi Deb

What clinic have you been referred to?

Nottingham.... why do you ask?

I remember that excitement, I'm so happy for you!
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom" Anais Nin.

Live, Laugh, and Love Yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by debstar View Post
    .... why do you ask?
    LOL, why did she ask? Perhaps she was curious? Why did you post?

Don't be so tender doll, transition ain't for the timid.

Congratulations on a milestone.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Quote Originally Posted by debstar View Post
    Nottingham.... why do you ask?
    Just curious, I know people that have had really good experience with Nottingham.
    Well done and best of luck.

The following is a document showing waiting times by GIC. As far as I know it is the latest one published. Under the latest protocols you can choose which GIC you go to.
    http://uktrans.info/attachments/arti...ion-july15.pdf
    Congratulations on your milestone.

Wow, I knew I would have to wait a while. Any where between 26 weeks and a year acording to that document.

Don't want to burst your bubble but you may need to see you a general physiatrist before you get anywhere near the clinic, so forget the 26 weeks plus for the clinic there is the waiting time for the physiatrist. Maybe you should point this out to your Dr.

Under the new protocols your GP can refer you directly to a GIC. I would assume he would only refer you to a local psych if there was something seriously wrong. It used to be that you had to see someone local but that has changed. Here is a link to them

https://www.engage.england.nhs.uk/co...-serv-spec.pdf
    Last edited by emma5410; 11-12-2015 at 09:25 AM.

Emma is correct. You can only not self refer to the clinics this requires a GP. They will accept people with mental health issues so long as they are managing them. It is not up to the doctor to "make a diagnosis" prior to referal.

That is why I said you MIGHT have to see a psych. Just remember it was 5 years ago that Nigella started on her path, I am well aware that things change, oh and I never said the Dr made a diagnosis, she referred Nigella to a psych first which at the time was the protocol, and even the psych didn't make a diagnosis she just confirmed Nigella was suitable person for the gender clinic.

You have a long wait ahead of you just take each day at a time.

Cool Deb, best of luck