Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you consider yourself part of the LGBT community?

Do you consider yourself part of the LGBT community?

Maybe it's because I identify as genderfluid as much as a crossdresser, but I feel at least somewhat connected to the lgtb community and I'm wondering how others feel or if im completely off base?

I hate that T is included in the acronym LGBT. I understand why they do it but I don't like it because LGB are all sexual orientation and T is gender identity. They're not the same. But they are grouped together because of the general perceptions of society.

Yes, I feel part of it because I have empathy for all of them because of my own issues.

In a word, no.

Apologies now for tye typo. Should have been LGBT

Banned Read only
    Great point Lena! Myself, no. That said though Im sure many here might and who knows, maybe this forum is considered (by majority vote) to be an LGBT community and I'm here 😕

I never used to, but lately I do. There again my crossdressing has become more than just dressing. I do agree with Lena that LGB are sexual orientations and T is gender identity. Although LGBT has become more accepted by society in recent times, so now probably isn't the time to separate ourselves.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I'm a part of my local LGBT in my town.
    Gay,TG and a CD.
    Adding the T is actually a good thing just for the political clout because if the local chapter hadn't been inclusive to T's they may not have been covered under law.
    They were instrumental in getting our fairness ordinance passed in to law.

I consider myself LGBT and proud. And yes, T is not a sexual orientation, but it's not there because the uninformed assume all T's are G. The acronym was not put together by the people who WEREN'T members of the community. All those groups (L,G,B and T) hung around together (and still do) and thus faced a common threat back when the movement started. And T's are a much smaller community than the others, so it has been very beneficial to us and given us leverage beyond our numbers.

There is far too much in-fighting among them for me to want to try to add CD to it and further confuse things,
    ( it's almost like the different sects of certain mainstream religions )
    however I am interested in the laws and rights they are getting ( even some that I do not agree with ).

Nope, I do not. However I have been an ally for about 15 or 20 years. Heck I remember when the T wasn't added at the end of that acronymn. And now it isn't just LGBT... don't forget the QIA that's tagged at the end now.
    Too many labels. too many labels.
    I am not a woman nor am I a man... I am an enby. Hi, I am Wren.

No not really. The GLBT community is great. They are active and out. Doing great work to educate and help people on many issue and causes. The Sisterhood of Perpetual Indulgence could really teach a great many christian group the meaning of caring for and loving each other. But like an earlier poster said. They, GLB are sexual orientations and the T is not.

Cheers
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same

I went to a gay pride parade in SF dressed up last year, but don't really feel like I'm in the club, although they have done wonders for us over the years.

When I was in High School, many decades ago, a Gay couple came to our Marriage and Family class. The "wife" was crossdressed in a purple sweater and skirt. She looked really pretty. Although I'm not gay, I wished so bad I could go out in public like her. That couple did much to help us kids understand, but on the other hand, the CD cemented the thought for us kids that CDers are gay. That kind of made me question why I crossdressed and was afraid it would lead to me being gay. Well, I am, but a lesbian, so that's okay with me!

Overall, they have been good for us, even though the T makes people think we are gay. Does that really matter though? I think gays are much more accepted by society than we are, especially since we present visually what many people abhor.

I've gone back and forth on this many times; For now I'm at yes I, as a crossdresser, consider myself a part of the LGBT community, well more like a community under LGBT umbrella (there's plenty of room under the parasol);

In the past my problem has been that a person using the word LGBT probably isn't thinking about crossdressers; they probably (until recently) weren't even thinking about trans people for that matter;

I currently think of the LBGT of people whose identity challenges traditional gender behavior (men like women; men don't wear skirts, ...);
    Regardless I do participate in my schools LGBT club, But as far as I can tell I'm the only straight crossdresser there.

Banned Read only
    Nope! I'm just a guy would for some reason likes to wear women's clothing on occasion. I am not gay and definitely not a lesbian. I am not a woman "trapped" in a man's body. When I first started reading posts on this site I never heard the term "genderfluid." Most people I know still equate "transgender" with a person born into the wrong mass of protoplasm. Ask to them to figure of "genderfluid?" I suspect most of the people I know would think "genderfluid" = bisexual.

Banned Read only
    Yes, I'm part of LGBT. Specifically the "B" and the "T".

At 0.5% of the population, the " T" really needs the L's, G's, and even the B's (whatever they are.)

We also belong with them - many of us who are transgender are also gay, lesbian, or even bisexual.

There's a rather horrible petition on change.org demanding HRC, GLAAD, and other LGBT groups drop the 'T'.

The backlash against gay marriage is starting, ladies. In Houston Texas, a major US City with an openly lesbian mayor, they just voted down an equality ordinance that guaranteed access to services for 15 different groups by portraying trans women as cross dressing men and sexual predators. "No Men in Women's Room" was the slogan that defeated the ordinance 61% to 39%.

So folks, you might want to pay attention to that because a LOT of you here actually are cross dressing men, and believe you me, if they do stuff to hurt trans women, they will definitely do stuff to hurt CDs.

This is not the time to be squeamish about gay or bisexual folks - take allies as they come, because the people that really don't like us don't just want us to keep using the men's room - they want us GONE.

The awful people who spread such horrible lies about trans women in Houston are apparently planning to target where I live, Dallas, next. Oh joy.

Color me a "T" and I am here whether "L's" B's" or "G's" think I should be or not. I am still trying to figure out what "T" is...occasional crossdresser; full time crossdresser; full time crossdresser with hormones and no desire for re-assignment; full time crossdresser with hormones in line for re-assignment; one who as already undergone sexual re-assignment.
    I'll let you know when I figure that out...

hard to say. supportive yes.....active....not at all.
    If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Maybe yes, maybe no. I am a crossdresser and to that extent, I sometimes dress in a manner that is not consistent with my birth gender. But that's about it. My sexual orientation is that of a heterosexual male attracted only to females. I have no desire do dress and present full time as a woman much less to transition. So that's where I am in a quandary. I am not gay, I might be described as a part time male lesbian, I am not bisexual and except for short periods (repeated over and over) I am not attempting to be or become female. So, what pigeon hole am I in?

Silver Member
    Community usually means you are located in a common geographical area or that you share common values. I think it is hard for many who may fall within the descriptions or boundaries of LGTB membership to identify or connect as a member because we are certainly not located near one another and the range and degree of membership is so diverse. I do not feel I am part of a community. I am supportive but do not feel I connect.

That's kind of like asking if a woman feels she is connected to womanhood. My answer would have to be sort of I guess. I'm mostly connected with being myself and expressing that.Most women will tell you when you ask them how it feels to be a woman that they don't know. They just know how it feels to be themselves.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Jennie-cd View Post
    I consider myself LGBT and proud. And yes, T is not a sexual orientation, but it's not there because the uninformed assume all T's are G. The acronym was not put together by the people who WEREN'T members of the community. All those groups (L,G,B and T) hung around together (and still do) and thus faced a common threat back when the movement started. And T's are a much smaller community than the others, so it has been very beneficial to us and given us leverage beyond our numbers.
    Yes, Jennie said it all. I am very proud and consider myself fortunate to be included with our brothers and sisters in the LGB side.

I agree with Lena
    There is another thread about how the public perceives us as gay, hmmm......wonder if the glb"T" has something to do with that
    The GLB community is supportive of us , and when I was first starting to get out , we would go to the gay bars because they are accepting
    I think being lumped into the acronym Reinforces the public perception that we ARE gay, whether we are or not.
    Might be time to create our own identity
    So to answer the question, I feel part of the community, but not really connected to it, if that makes sense.
    Last edited by Jacqueline StGermain; 11-14-2015 at 06:07 AM.

Hi, I guess someone has to ask the Question???? do The L G B accept US ??? or like a lot of groups get the numbers. I have been around a few yrs, most of what I have encounter is a OH a cross dresser. I support the group and have gone to meetings . If you are gay I also have found that then they like you, because then it becomes sexual. So us that are gender fluid we live in our world. JO

I would choose No - for as often as LBGT community gets things right they get things wrong, and yet they aren't alone. What drives my decision on this issue:

Social media, the hypocritical idea of political correctness, and uninformed people are allowing the smallest groups to usurp a disproportionate amount of the public stage. Basically, whoever screams the loudest gets the most attention. This is not just the LBGT community, it's every special interest group and covers the spectrum of topics. We are picking away at the social fabric that binds society together in the name of equality and ignoring the consequences of an ordered system. Chaos always emerges we are just pushing it closer and closer all the time.

An inordinate amount of time is spent on lower priority issues because it's political gold at the expense of higher ranking ones. Some will argue this is the way of the political system, I put forth we are allowing the inmates to run the prison. You cannot legislate fairness, equality, alter peoples views with a law. Change takes time, a lot of time! Plus education, belief system modification, societal change....

As much as I want to see forward progress/acceptance on sexuality and gender, I have a large problem with the methodology, politicization and prioritization for our entire society. So "no" is my response.

My personal experience is that the GLB community is VERY accepting, the only part of the community that I felt wasn't ,were some (not all by any means) drag queens that look down on us as "amatures".
    Never really understood that . I'm not trying to be a performer, just me.
    Last edited by Jacqueline StGermain; 11-14-2015 at 06:23 AM.