Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: if you were growing up today, would it be different?

Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    I became a teenager in the 70's and didn't have a clue what I was feeling....I had nobody to talk to, nothing to read about how I felt, no internet, no therapist....just all alone. In today,s world, I would surely transitioned, at least to pre-op.
    I grew up in the same era; although I knew of Christine Jorgensen, and of gay people, I didn't really know about any other crossdressers but me. The only other guys I knew about who dressed up as girls were all gay (sometimes I used to go to work with my dad and we had deliveries to Greenwich Village in NYC a lot, so I was exposed to the gay culture existance very early on). So I used to wonder how many other guys were living with the same secret that I had.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Until the advent of the Internet and this forum, like many, I felt alone and did not understand my feelings/desires. I doubt I would ever transition. However, it certainly would be nice to not have fifty years of thinking there was something wrong with me.

For me no!!

Not really sure if things were different if I would do anything different I am retired and dress more now than ever and like most I started in my early teens sister thing sometimes Moms. I my self just feel so relaxed when I am dressed and would love to be out and dressed 24/7 but I am chicken. I almost hooked with another from this site but as I said before I chicken. Out but someday maybe I will try again with a member. So I guess I would not Transition. Oh look at me Rambling on.

Hugs
    DonnaP

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Since I grew up in the 1950s.....
    About the only awareness I had of anything TS was "Christine Jorgensen" and even she was not discussed in polite circles .... most just made Juvenile jokes about her if anything .
    The subject of transvestism was not even known to me.

So, I wondered what the hell was wrong with me for liking to wear my mom's and older sister's lingerie, etc which I wore in complete secrecy.

I was a bit of mess and my parents took me to psychologists when I was about 9 years old to find out what was wrong.
    However, I was so ignorant about the subject and so embarrassed about my "dressing" it that I never admitted it to them .
    Looking back, the psychologists were probably as ignorant about the subject it as I was.

Also, when, I was a about 11 years old (in 1958) my doctor gave me shots of testosterone.... every week for a couple of months for an undecended testicle in an effort to solve it .
    Straight testosterone treatment would not have been given today for my condition.
    This resulted in an early puberty and, I now have coarser facial hair than I would have had.
    In any event the testicle was surgically removed when I was 12 years old.

Facial hair is the main thing that keeps me from venturing out in public regularly as my body is rather feminine otherwise.
    I hate heavy makeup.

So, yes, of course it would be different if I grew up in today's environment.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 11-25-2015 at 11:36 AM.

This is actually a pretty hard question, but as was growing up as a teenage crossdresser in a small town and trying not to leave any hints behind or breadcrumbs that may have lead to being "caught" was equally tough right?

If the question was, "knowing what you know now but being younger again would you tread a different path" the answer would be yes but a qualified yes. Physically my stature wouldn't change, I'd still be tall and therefore stick out more than most ladies so that would still be on the down side (as Acastina points out!). If I was young again in this age and didn't have the lifetime experiences I now have, I'd probably still be the same unconfident and emotionally insecure teenager I was back then grappling with the same issues I am today! Besides, that is really a fantasy question and one that I do fantasise about.

I'd love nothing better to wind back the clock, trust me, because I know some of my life choices would be different - choices around things I'd do, how I would view myself and how I would approach relationships. It would most likely have lead me down a much more different path and one that probably would have been a lot more of a rollercoaster but ultimately would have been truer to myself. To me, being either a CD or TS has a lot more acceptance attached with it now, even if that acceptance for me at the moment is the ability to write these words to you, and for you ladies to read this, in relative freedom and personal security. What choices would I have had as a person growing up in my day and age as a CD to converse - none to limited and with far more personal exposure or risk. For me, it has been an amazingly cathartic and anxiety releasing couple of weeks just interacting on this forum that words could never do it justice.

Part of this of course is an admission to myself that I should have done some of those things I'd wished I had done, or maybe it's expressing regret I didn't. But winding back the clock is not an option so I am being truer to myself now by some of the things I have done this year and will do next year. A bucket list seems to be a popular phrase, well I have a handbag list to do which will go some way to living my life as me, rather than who I have maybe constructed as me.

Aly
    Getting to know myself in a dress and heels again!

I always thought of this and came to the conclusion that if I had all the resources back then, that there are now, especially the internet, I would have definitely transitioned, probably even SRS. Like many others here I felt isolated. Also, the few times I saw people in the TG world, such as on Phil Donahue, they were like like cartoon characters. It was much later in life that I found out there were thousands, make that millions just like me.

I would probably dress more and go out more.

I hit my teens just when the AIDS epidemic hit -- Rock Hudson got sick, people suffering and dying every day, when people did not even really know what was going on, and there was nothing but fear and ignorance. That was also the era of "killer tranny movies" and I was terrified to say anything let alone do anything about my feelings. What scientific information I was able to find, told me I was sick. I was so ignorant and scarred, I put all my childhood CD'ing in a mental box and butched up as much as possible. And since I was not "gay" per se, it was easier to bury my gender identity and carry on.

If I were a young adult today, there is no way I could have resisted coming out. As a young adult in today's world, I would not be able to box up my gender identity, it would be impossible. Today is like the polar opposite of the 1980s, I dont know if I would ultimately transition but I would be somewhere on the gender queer/MTF spectrum and I would have the freedom to experiment and find my true self at a much younger age.

If it was soon enough to start hrt and stop all this YUCKY male development.
    Facial hair, bone structure, adams apple and such.

If I were to grow up in another 20 years when the science is even better ... YES for sure.