Thread: New job application form

New job application form

Hiii,

So,

I contacted my agent asking him to find me a new job as I think my current job doesn't give me what I need anymore. He told me about a position that he think would be good for me and I asked him to put me forward for it. Next I get a form from the employer to fill. There is a section called Recruitment Monitoring. One of the questions is asking whether I "Define my self as transgender". The possible answers are "Yes/No/I don't wan't to provide this informartion"

I wish there was another answer that I could give: I don't know! I might be or I might not be! I might never know either!

Based on the fact that I'm planning to relocate soon and even if one day I realise that I'm a transgender, I won't be at this job, I'm going to answer no. I don't like the third option as might make the employer think I'm not an open person.

Any thoughts?

Katie x

Silver Member
    no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

And a few more NO's from me too. Why jeopardize getting a position that you want by answering a question like that, especially when you are not sure of it yourself? Additionally, at least here in the USA, I think that is an illegal question and should not be asked. It's like asking someone if they are gay, when that has nothing to do with the job. No, is definitely your best answer.

Katie,

That question on the resume is of concern as I see it. If they really don't care if you are transgender, why do they go to the trouble to ask? Shouldn't it be a mute point? Unless you have a reasonable expectation of the transgender issue coming to the fore in your life while you still work for them, just say "No." Unless and until it affects them, it is none of their business. If you are uncomfortable with a "no" then just leave the question unanswered. If they get uptight about that, maybe, they are not the type of people you really want to get involved with.

Stephanie

Whenever given the option on any demographic question to "not say" I don't. Often I leave demographic questions blank or choose other as an option. This has been my policy forever. If it isn't relevant to the job don't ask!!!!!!!!

Daphne

Well I said no.

Allie its not illigal to ask such questions here (in the UK) in fact the next question asked my sexual orientation! Its about the equal opportunity law we have here, and the questions are for monitoing to see if the employer complies with the law.

Katie x

Thanks for the clarification Katie. I understand the need to develop honest data to quantify different segments in society for future analysis and possible use for the creation of new laws to create a more equal base for all people and the protection of their individual rights. However, here they cannot ask those questions except for gender (male or female), no questions about race, religion, sexual orientation nor genders different from male or female. The reasons are the protection of personal information that should not be used for employment decisions, protection of civil rights and the prevention of discrimination after hiring. It is not perfect and we do lose a potential excellent data source, but those protections are more important than the data.

Ahh the delights of positive discrimination. Funny thing isn't it, it doesn't matter what "spin" we like to put on it, it is still discrimination.

My personal opinion is I would have ticked "I do not wish to answer". Not because I really care what they think about my gender but because I object to the question on principal. It's a stupid question and shows a complete lack of understanding by the agency / employer about gender issues generally. we have just addressed this question within our workplace as we ave just emailed our entire client list about me going full time. My wife is also a partner in the practice. Our attitude (and the unanimous attitude bar 1 out of 750 of our clients) has been that gender has no bearing on my ability to do my job. If someone thought me now being female full time somehow affected my ability to look after their pet in an adverse way then what does that say about their opinion of my wife's skills?

But then again Katie, I think I have only worked for around 2 or 3 people my whole life. Otherwise I have been the employer / subcontractor so make of that what you wish. Oh, and I HATE government forms!!

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate T View Post
    Ahh the delights of positive discrimination. Funny thing isn't it, it doesn't matter what "spin" we like to put on it, it is still discrimination.
    Kate, the discrimination is in your mind. The monitoring form is to ensure that discrimination doesn't take place. It is a blind exercise as the people who decide whether to offer an interview and whether to offer the job do not see the monitoring form. A separate person within Human Resources compares the monitoring forms with the results of the screening/interviews and can request further information about the reasons for rejecting someone.

In the UK it is illegal to treat someone less well because they are Trans/disabled/LGB or a number of other characteristics. The monitoring form enables a firm to check that they comply with that law.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Rianna,

Does the hiring company review the form or some independent or government agency review it? It would seem to be more transparent and fair if an independent agency did it instead of the company. We have a lot of anti-discriminatory laws here too, but where the company wants to discriminate there are many ways to do that without getting caught.

Allie,

Maybe it's the same here too. If a company doesn't want to hire someone based on race/gender/sexuality etc. they can find reasons to get away with it.
    As Rihanna mentioned the form goes to HR who uses it for monitoring and they are not the ones who offer the job. I'm usually a positive person and think it's good that the company is trying to comply with equal opportunities.
    Im am also lucky to work in a sector that don't usually discriminate against you if you belong to LGBT.

Katie x

Interesting that they ask the question. My initial thought was also that it was an illegal question....thanks Rianna for the clarification. My concern was if it was part of the application and one was to answer "NO" initially and later reveal they are trans, there could be some issues as in some jurisdictions providing false information on an application form is immediate grounds for dismal. A person would then have to prove they had not received any therapy, counselling etc regarding that. I am glad that how the data was to be collected, used and stored was clarified by other posts.
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Where I work allows employees to self identify as "LGBT", right under "are you a veteran", go figure.

Cheers,
    Amy

I'd like to say no to that question but it's best to be upfront at all cost which is what I have done with similar things along my journey. Now with that said I live in Oregon which protects us from discrimination while we all know there are states that are the complete reverse.
    “When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be.” ― Julia Glass