Thread: Diversity - What's the Difference?

Silver Member

Diversity - What's the Difference?

All lives matter. Let's remember everyone who died from violence. Everyone is on the spectrum.

These, and similar phrases, pander to the notion of commonality by glossing over material differences. When they succeed in drowning the voices of those who most need assistance and recognition, they obliterate the causes of those who have the least recourse. Still, the underlying sentiments seem noble. Most of us DO believe, for example, that all lives matter. Why then, are these so problematic?

In short, context. When someone responds that “All Lives Matter” in response to "Black Lives Matter" (or in response to Transgender Day of Remembrance for that matter), it is understood as a major invalidation delivered by those with unconscious privilege – it's as if, when a black (or trans) person is killed, the response is “yes, yes, of course you matter, but so do all these” – delivered with a sweeping gesture in the general direction of everyone else. That is, toward a crowd consisting mostly of those that are seldom at risk of actually being killed.

The pattern of the statements is to reduce the issues of marginalized groups to mere differences. There are a lot of reasons to embrace differences of all types. Diversity efforts, however, are better focused on the subset of differences that result in institutionalized discrimination that disadvantages people. Diluting or erasing the distinction shifts the focus from addressing the needs of those who cannot help themselves to a sort of vague values awareness and inclusion program, for lack of a better characterization.

I attended a recent diversity event at work. It was a panel discussion moderated by a local news anchor. It was excellent overall, and I really appreciated the broad and generous perspective offered by the panel. Unconscious privilege was a repeated theme, brought up several times by the panel members and acknowledged as pertaining to all of us in one way or another. Ironically, that hit home both in panel discussion and later one-on-one Q&A with a few of the panel members.

There was no LGBT representation on the panel. That’s perfectly fine, it doesn’t need to be explicitly included in every event. But there was a moderator question to the panel on the furtherance of LGBT acceptance and rights. The various panel responses mentioned only the L & G portions of the community and then one proceeded to some breezy comments along the lines of “continuing what we are already doing … That ‘we’ are the new majority. That homosexuality has always been with us.” The response hit a few off-notes in a variety of ways, not the least of which were the usual invisibility of a portion of the community, assumptions of affiliation (political or otherwise), that there is agreement on efforts and actions to-date, even language itself. The response was well-intended, but it unintentionally demonstrated the point the panel had made earlier on unconscious privilege. It also demonstrates the assumption of privilege by way of assuming representation – not just in the arrogation of the response, but in life. After all, “we” (transsexuals) aren’t actually represented in politics.

The invisibility and privilege points were further nailed in a later personal conversation with several panel members. In a short comment directed toward me in the middle of an otherwise non-personal response, one panel member said: “Of course, you have never had to deal with not living your identity.” It stunned me, especially considering the source. It was an attribution of identity and privilege that I can only assume was based on my appearance. The panelist couldn’t know of the personal nature of the invalidation, but she also appeared unaware that the casual dismissiveness completely undermined her earlier assumptions of community, majority, and representation!

I felt dismissed and I didn’t respond. Though out to a few that were in attendence, I remain invisible for a variety of reasons. But so are many others, with my issues or not, sometimes out of choice, sometimes necessity. The points made by the panel on how we err with privilege are important – and were on full display. I wonder if anyone else even saw it … even those who are the most-intended of all?

When communities are so exquisitely sensitive to their differences as to shield and guard them, it is because those differences are consequential and are not ready to be celebrated. They must not be reduced to mere difference, false common cause and false common identity. Treating them as such, particularly before they are understood for what they are, lends support to those who oppress. It’s such a loss, because their worth and beauty can likewise be exquisite. Don't mistake or substitute difference for focused diversity effort need.
    Last edited by LeaP; 11-21-2015 at 12:54 AM.

Is this our political hot potato? The problem here is that we have to talk a wider political context. We're living in the most economically advantaged countries (the English-speaking ones, by and large), our economics are discriminating against 90% of the world's population, and we have the gall to complain when our own mainstream economic, power-broking white male privilege base does the same. It's fractal, it's everywhere, dyslexia and special learning needs, racail and ethnic, physical disabilities, autistic-asperber spectrum, academic over practical intelligence, political classes over the masses.

We should be asking where all this comes from and be seeking a fundamentally better society. Don't even get me started on gun mania. So, yes I'm a T-girl in process, but I'm not going to complain or make an issue over one kind of discrimination, because every kind needs challenging. I know the underlying causes, so PM me for a debate that roams beyond the politics of T, because the solutions are not under our own lamp-post.

I feel your pain, I have seen this in too many people in too many situations. And it comes down to generations of bad parenting, exclusive schooling/raising of the next generation's "elite", isolation of that elite from the mass, and media intent on the only solution being to kill the bad guy.

Read "Lord of the Flies" as a metaphor for the present world and see the answer is for us who are sufficiently evolved to re-parent the 99.99999% of humanity.
    Last edited by pamela7; 11-21-2015 at 05:13 AM.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Sometimes people that "should get it" ....don't. And they can be in a position that influences others,like in the case of your panel member "labeling you". The Trans community is a target of "hater crimes". "Tolerance" of us doesn't do much. "Acceptance" is a start,but "inclusion" is what it takes to bring a real change for the positive. Most "haters" don't even know why they "hate" people that are different.They probably can only be changed when they see that others they have respect for,accept and include the target of their hate. Haters were brought by bus for the Jacksonville Mayors meeting the other night where that sat and listened to two ignorant panel members tell that "Trans is about the bathrooms"..

Silver Member
    This thread isn't about politics! My reference to politics was only included as an illustration in the context of the panelist's response.

The concepts in the OP apply directly to the dialog here.

I think it was Mills, the father of liberalism, who believed everyone should have a seat at the table and have a voice. Unfortunately, he forgot we're dealing with people. Everything depends on who the people are. In the 50's, some were blacklisted. Now, others are blacklisted. Instead of including everyone, we exclude those who don't support the narrative. If you are on the wrong side of the currently accepted ideal, you are the enemy. Diversity is often times used as an excuse to institute "their" version of a political fascism. Mills would be appalled.

Silver Member
    Again, this thread is not about politics. I'll reply in the narrower context of philosophy though, and leave it at that.

Your reading of Mill is shallow. He was an early advocate for utilitarianism, and a somewhat unique form of it at that. Utilitarianism and targeted actions are not only not mutually exclusive, but are both foundations of modern liberal philosophy.

The point is still relevant, though! A modern liberal education (which I had) introduces tension between egalitarianism and utility, something I pointed out in the post event discussion. There's nothing particularly profound about this – it's a commonplace observation.

Utility is only one of Mill's core principles, however. The other is the harm principle. Under the harm principle, you don't take action in favor of one in such a way as to cause harm to another. The harm principle is critical to understanding Mill. It is perfectly OK to take or advocate action that benefits you on a utility basis if it does not harm someone else. It is not elitist or exclusionary (or hedonistic, the version Mill was accused of) to do so! In fact, it is SELF interest that is in force when people advocate against needs and interests that are placed before them, as happens to transsexuals here all of the time.

These are principles that inform actions – they do not obviate decisions. This relates to your point about having a seat at the table. It is important that unique and different perspectives be both heard and considered in taking action. But that's to ensure (among other things) that their interests are not lost or harmed – not to reduce us all to the false commonality mentioned in my OP.

My contention, of course, is that some transsexual interests are harmed by being masked in the ways described in the OP. Bringing Mill into the discussion was interesting, though perhaps not for the reasons you thought.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    This thread seems to have difficulty sticking to the OP's intentions. Perhaps she will have more success if she takes a fresh start and makes the intended subject for discussion clear in the opening post. This version is over without prejudice.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity