Thread: What roles do you have that are strictly masculine?

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake

What roles do you have that are strictly masculine?

In life we have a lot of roles, those things that define us as we interact with the world; Husband, Grandfather, handy person, bill payer, neighbor, driver, cook etc. etc.

Other than Husband, Father, Grandfather and the like, what roles do you fill that are exclusively masculine? What roles do you have that you could just as easily take care of as female? And are those self-imposed or imposed on you? I'm starting to think that we give too much power to gender in how we handle our lives and much of what we do has no need for gender.

I've recently started to chip away at the "Father" role by telling my adult kids that I'm transgender. I haven't done anything outward to challenge the image they have in their minds, but that door is open. They will have to be the ones who handle the Grandfather issue should I ever start spending more time as Sarah. Still trying to think through this, so any help on how gender is required in some of what we do is appreciated.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Banned Read only
    Good post Sarah...for me I'd say 'bread winner' (sorry if that sounds sexist, chauvanistc but it's the f...g reality 😠 ), mechanic, 'male' balance to the family machine...

I'm a dedicated grandpa to my grandkids, I want them to remember me as their grandpa that could do anything and teaching them about wildlife in nature has been a blessing for me. They can make their own gender minds up when they get bigger but for now that's my role... If grandma ( my wife) won't let them do something they come to me and we usually do what they want might say they have me around their little finger and I love em. I'm still the father role to my four kids also. I taught them manners and expect it from them and so far it has been passed on to the grandkids. This might not what you wanted to hear but it's what I see myself as at this s time. My kids live a distance from me so the times they are present are precious for and them.

I'm a husband to my wife.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Catching spiders and removing apple sized plugs of hair from the u-bend.

I earn some money, fix stuff around the house, play golf and softball and will force some violence on anyone that effects my family...that said I like a sheer set of panties
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

None! Even as a father I have always very much been a nurturer/teacher. Maybe peeing and shaving my face.

Aspiring Member
    Son for life. No doubt about it. Okay, maybe I'll second peeing and shaving.

carrying my SO over the threshold, there's no way that happens the other way round!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    The one masculine role that has held me back from really being Erica is being father to my two children. Even though they are not little anymore, I still feel like I must be their "dad"

Besides that I have determined anything I do in life I could do as a female.
    Erica

Hi Sarah, Yes GENDER???? We are difined by what is between our legs. Now for me I was raised as a girl, long story. I only remember back to when I in was in kindergarten , I was playing with girl in a sand box. With cloths on that I had never wore before. From then on you can say my life was that of a cross dresser. I now am lucky in that my wife now loves me more as a women then a man. She thinks that she is more man then women, so the perfick match. As defining the male role for me there is none. I am a jack of all trades an a master electican. I am also told that I make a very good looking women. Side note I was U D T in the navy before Seals and became a power lineman. So if some can define me????? Jo

Banned Read only
    Sarah,
    I guess the accepted male role is taking the chainsaw and getting the firewood in !
    My son can't work without my input with his house extension ! I'm afraid Teresa is nowhere to be seen when the drains are blocked !

The grandfather issue remains at the moment it's going to be confusing if grandpa suddenly becomes grandma ! Finding that one out won't be intentional on my behalf but accidents do happen !
    I have made it clear to my son that I 'm no longer interested in the Screwfix tool catalogue but haven't specified a replacement.

Son to my father, and breadwinner for the house, I am a mechanic by trade,
    not much chance for the fem side coming out there

The husband and father part is kinda of a mix of both sides now.
    depends on my mood. My wife and kids accept me for the most part, no matter how I am dressed.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

"...chip away at the 'Father' role..."? You'll always be their father. Nothing can change that.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    I've lived my life in the role of a standard man. Of course, time has allowed an overlap in what were considered male/female roles. My dad knew there was a vacuum in the house but can't ever recall him using it. Women's work to my dad . I happily (almost anyway) dust, hoover and clean the house as well as replace all of the plumbing and rads, replace doors and frames etc.

So I did have all male type roles once, but times change and it is difficult to label them such these days. Lets face it, I was a military aircraft tech for 12 years, a very male environment at the time, but during the first and second world wars, woman were the majority sex that built and produced most of the armaments. So needs of the time very much dictate this descriptor too.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    ...I have made it clear to my son that I 'm no longer interested in the Screwfix tool catalogue but haven't specified a replacement.
    Being an IT type, I get all my catalogues delivered via email. New Look, Dorothy Perkins, Wallis, etc., etc. Screwfix? Oh yeah...I remember those.

Becky
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk