Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Busted by the cops while scantily "dressed". For "nudity" in public!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennie-cd View Post
    But filming without a permit, I know without question, could have netted you a fine and perhaps an arrest.
    Does that mean anyone using a smartphone to take a video in a public place is guilty of an offense? Or is it a size thing, it's a camera and that's it's sole purpose?
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

I suppose you'd call it intent. The OP identifies as Orange County, CA which is just outside Los Angeles. LA has the strictest filming regs in the US (because of the movie studios.) He was creating a film that would be edited and posted to the net, he had a script, a cameraman filming an actor, an actor in a costume and he was using a public park as a location. Totally needed a permit. All of that said, small-timers almost never pull permits (I rarely do) but the exchange for that is discretion. If the cops arrive you've failed at that.

Here in NY City female toplessness is legal, but I don't know about LA. There is an arcane 19th century law here about disguise with intent to defraud, which was technically used against transgender people in the old days and more recently against Occupy Wall Street participants wearing Guy Fawkes masks. And it seems here, it's not about "nudity," but about activity.

Also, you talked way way too much to the police, as they say in Miranda warnings that information, no matter how innocuous it might seem, can and will be used against you. You are only obligated to respectfully ask if you are being detained or under arrest, or if you are free to leave. And we're talking about the police here, believe me, you are in a database now, and he probably checked for priors. This might come back to bite you.

And, not to be critical, but couldn't you find an appropriately less public place to make videos or photographs? They could've validly busted you for filming or photographing without a permit. Those things are highly regulated. On a practical basis, if you are going to do this sort of thing, you need to be more professional about it.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachelakld View Post
    My thoughts - If I had a fake appendage out the front of my pants in a public place, and it was a realistic fake, would that not be offensive?----------------------
    I believe in most places in the States, Rachel, going topless and showing your genitals r different degress of nudity!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Darling View Post
    Sherry:

Glad the police officer exercised rationale judgement. Now for the question that is on all our minds: Where can we see this and your other videos? I always thought (mistakenly it seems) that you were a still camera kinda girl. This new knowledge gives me a new appreciation of Sherry and the efforts you go through to look so fab.

Stay safe. Now on with the further adventures of Sherry.

Best regards,
    Rhonda
    Thanks, Rhonda. I wasn't shooting a video. It was simply another of my kinky picto stories! Few shots from my stories can be posted here. I can post portions of them on my FB Page. But, only Fetlife allows me to post ALL my photos!

Quote Originally Posted by pamela7 View Post
    the coach calling you a pervert seems to be discriminatory, possibly even an LGBT hate crime, no-one saw anything, the photos by the coach were of you dressed, the cop was doing the least, for show. Now, where is the video?
    I don't think the "Coach", (by the way, I'm pretty sure the guy was an ex coach, if anything. Too old to be active), knew what he saw. And, had no interest in me explaining!

Quote Originally Posted by VickieBonne View Post
    In some places lewd acts are legislated illegal. If what you were doing could be considered lewd, it doesn't matter if you had your body suit covered with three layers of clothing or if you were nekid' as a Jay bird. ----------------------------------------------

You admit yourself that you scoped it out to make sure no one would see you but people did see you. You listed three. That your partner was rattled after the first encounter.

I have no idea if what you were doing was illegal but you were doing something in public you didn't want people to see.

My two cents, bad call on your part.
    Lewd acts and nudity r completely different issues here, Bonnie. Nothing I did the entire time could have been construed as lewd. Yes, I definitely erred in my judgement didn't I!?.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    It seems to me that technically you weren't nude. You were wearing an outer garment which is why the cop thought the better of pushing any charges as a decent lawyer would argue the same. If there's a statute against simulated nudity then there's a case to answer. If not then it's just the prejudices of bystanders who need to be better educated about the more tolerant times we now supposedly live in. Does wearing a mask of a previous president on the high street make you a bank robber?

In the UK it's not illegal to be naked in public unless the intention is to be deliberately offensive. There will be many who upon seeing a naked man, naked women tend not to illicit the same response (sexist?) will summon the police demanding action as some sensibilities have been offended.

The Sexual Offences Act (2003) states that exposure (and hence public nudity) is only a crime if a person's genitals are exposed and they intend for someone to see them and to be caused alarm and distress.

This means that nudists, skinny dippers or nude sunbathers etc. are not breaking the law, as someone has to intend to cause alarm and distress for it to be a crime (and so someone being alarmed or distressed without intent is not a crime).

OK, laws differ country to country, state to state but for a prosecution the law has to be broken. Check first with a lawyer that what you're doing is illegal and in your case it seems to me not.
    Which is why I made sure my bottom sensitive areas were completely covered, Helen. And, explained that to the cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Vickie_CDTV View Post
    It is technically legal for women to be topless in public places in 33 states, and CA is one of them. Of course, it does not prevent the police from hassling you if someone makes a scene about it.
    I believe u r mistaken. Different cities in SoCal alone have different laws regarding nudity. Going topless in Newport Beach is illegal. But, not normally an arrestable offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennie-cd View Post
    Were you nude? I suppose a jury would have to decide. If you'd like the opportunity to find out....

But filming without a permit, I know without question, could have netted you a fine and perhaps an arrest. But even from your description, you were getting "hurredly dressed," your cameraman was "unnerved" -- you knew you were doing wrong. So take the heat.
    Private individuals r allowed to film whenever and wherever they like with no permit required. Which is what we were doing. I'm not involved with commercial photography in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Edie Palmer View Post
    Here in NY City female toplessness is legal, but I don't know about LA. There is an arcane 19th century law here about disguise with intent to defraud, which was technically used against transgender people in the old days and more recently against Occupy Wall Street participants wearing Guy Fawkes masks. And it seems here, it's not about "nudity," but about activity.

Also, you talked way way too much to the police, as they say in Miranda warnings that information, no matter how innocuous it might seem, can and will be used against you. You are only obligated to respectfully ask if you are being detained or under arrest, or if you are free to leave. And we're talking about the police here, believe me, you are in a database now, and he probably checked for priors. This might come back to bite you.

And, not to be critical, but couldn't you find an appropriately less public place to make videos or photographs? They could've validly busted you for filming or photographing without a permit. Those things are highly regulated. On a practical basis, if you are going to do this sort of thing, you need to be more professional about it.
    U r entitled to your opinion Edie. Personally? I felt explaining how innocuous our shoot was and how I had hoped to avoid being seen would make the officer realize taking us to the station would be waste of time and energy.
    Yes. It was a bad decision to film there. But, I needed a steep hillside with walkways and there I couldn't find any others like that here. I won't do it again!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 11-26-2015 at 02:57 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    Judging by some here, this would be illegal (seems pretty silly to me):
    I probably going off topic here a little bit but I can't restrain myself.
    Flatlander there are way more then one silly law in the world. You could do an internet search and find whole listas of silly laws. I can give you one as an example. In great Britain it is illegal to die in the houses of parlement. How silly is that? How do you convict a dead person?

Or I could point out to a Dutch weapon law. anything that looks like a gun is illegal. Not to long a reporter testing this got arrested because of her umbrella that had a hunting rifle grip attached to it.
    do not label me for i am unique

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    First of all, you need a stack of these.
    get-out-of-jail-free-card.jpg

I wonder if "Coach" who probably wandered off quickly as to not miss, "shower time" in the locker room, would be incensed about this.

maniquins.jpg

I've certainly seen this before.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

In the end, sanity prevailed. Nobody was "busted" in my understanding of the word, as no arrests, sanctions or other negative official actions were taken.

On the face of it, all public nudity and lewdness laws are rather silly. In some places woman can't have bare breasts, but breasts sheathed in a millimeter of clingy fabric are fine. If the fabric is flesh-tone, what's the difference? Some say nipples, yet bare nipples are perfectly OK for men so it can't be that. When a law invites close evasion it is a bad law. Public nudity is illegal, yet we hang pictures of nude people in public art galleries and put statues of nude people right out there on the street. Images are OK, yet the real thing is somehow wrong?

The problem is that a legislature that doesn't make new laws is considered to be ineffective, so the result is more and more laws, most of them bad.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Pretty gray area here... Very subjective and also depends on the circumstances.

I'm one who frequently ventures out in public and my dressing style is mostly for bedroom only. It could probably pass at a gay club or a very racy dance club that allows women to wear bikinis and thongs and guys to go shirtless or just wear underwear, but in most places, admittance would be denied.

Still, I only go out very late at night in very remote places where there are no onlookers. All the same, if I was spotted by the wrong person, it could end up being a pretty awkward event.

As another poster mentioned, "lewd" acts can be considered as equally punishable as being nude in public. It really depends on a variety of circumstances... If the "wrong" person sees you - and the "wrong" police officer is contacted in time to confront you- and the "wrong" prosecutor and judge decides to interpret the laws a certain way to make an example out of you and charge you with the most serious offense possible, it could go VERY badly. Sure, a good lawyer could argue that it was merely a second skin and so no actual,flesh was involved, but it's still going to cost you a great deal of money and time... Not to mention the complications it may cause to your job, family, and friends, if the powers that be charged you with some serious sec crime charges.

There's a lot of hearsay involved in these occurrences, but in this instance, it sounds like the "coach" guy watching might have been recording it as visual evidence. And these days, not only are there cameras everywhere, but everyone has one as well.

Truth is, even if they were false breast forms, I could easily see some arguing that they appeared to be real and claim that it's the same as nudity as the intention of breast form is to look like real breasts. It's not like one of those strange pics that gets taken at just the right angle and the right time where it looks like a breast or a penis is showing and the incident is entirely accidental... The intention of breast forms is to look like real breasts and I could see their point that when worn in public view, that it could be considered as public nudity or "lewd" behavior. I would also, mention that if it had been a baywatch model doing it, that the very same "coach" may have just used his phone to take pics for himself and not yelled or contacted the cops.

I hope the original poster is not offended by my comment as I'm guilty of doing the exact same, if not worse... When I dress, Many of my naughty bits are mostly exposed or at least definitely noticeable, so I'm not preaching at all! But it is why I choose very specific times, circumstances, and locations for my public excursions.
    Last edited by SHINY-J; 11-26-2015 at 03:15 PM.

No offense taken, Shiny. But, I was far from just "wearing breast forms"! Here's pretty much what I looked like. Only with a bearded old man's face and not covering my boobs!

69861.jpg
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I just want to clarify something -- as for explaining why you were doing this to the police, not talking is not "my opinion," as you say, but general legal opinion and ultimately the Fifth Amendment. I've worked for an organization that helped out people who have been arrested, and the cops are entitled to no information at all without a lawyer present. You could've backed yourself into even more of a corner and you're lucky this guy didn't want to get involved with more paperwork.

Oh, and what if your explanation didn't work, and you were hauled down to the police station? It would've given them even more of an excuse for them to hold you there and use what you said against you. It was your word against the "coach." You don't know who he was, what if he was a retired cop?

Quote Originally Posted by Edie Palmer View Post
    I just want to clarify something -- as for explaining why you were doing this to the police, not talking is not "my opinion," as you say, but general legal opinion and ultimately the Fifth Amendment. I've worked for an organization that helped out people who have been arrested, and the cops are entitled to no information at all without a lawyer present. You could've backed yourself into even more of a corner and you're lucky this guy didn't want to get involved with more paperwork.

Oh, and what if your explanation didn't work, and you were hauled down to the police station? It would've given them even more of an excuse for them to hold you there and use what you said against you. It was your word against the "coach." You don't know who he was, what if he was a retired cop?
    I appreciate the legal view point. But, I didn't mention this before, Edie. If I thot I was guilty of anything I may NOT have been so forth coming. But, this was never going to come down to anyone's words. I assume the "coach" took pics of us while my top was off. And, if he didn't? I have plenty! They show a guy in a mask and female suit with no top on. Walking down a trail trapped in a cafe chair and rolling down a hill. And, that was all we did!

The rest of the time, I was completely covered up prepping the shoot or leaving with our gear.

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    No offense taken, Shiny. But, I was far from just "wearing breast forms"! Here's pretty much what I looked like. Only with a bearded old man's face and not covering my boobs!

69861.jpg
    Lol i love it! I also think that your instance being a photo shoot might have gone over better than any of my late night adventures as mine always involve "fun time"

Still, i think that it really just depends on the circumstances. In the few instances where I've actually encountered anyone while I was dressed, it's always gone well. I think that's a direct result of when, where, and how I dress. It's always late at night, with little to no people around and if they are, they're usually homeless or drunk... It's remote or empty areas where there are no large crowds or others around... And I dress trashy and wild so the few instances when someone actually did see me, they were always intrigued and enjoyed it as opposed to disgusted or hateful.
    Last edited by SHINY-J; 11-26-2015 at 11:35 PM.

To say upfront I do some part-time work for a local police agency near where I live. And I have to agree with Ms. Edie here.

Even though the police officer did nothing more than talk with you, and basically gave you a verbal warning, and was cool about it all--and good on him!!...trust me,...The officer was not jotting down on an index card just for the heck of it. The index card is just a different form of paper v. a small note pad that many officer's carry to jot down the particulars when interviewing a person or on a call. Trust me, the officer ran your driver's license, and hopefully it came back--and I am sure it did by now--clean.

You can also surely bet that after the officer left the scene after making contact with you, he (I am guessing it was a he but that does not matter) at the end of his shift (or these days more likely in his cruiser just in the next parking lot over after he met with you) electronically obtained an incident number and that he filed a summery of his contact with you (remember that little note card he had to jot your particulars and notes on that's what it is for) into his departments call & incident reporting system, and also into his municipalizes anti-crime data base as well, which I know that all OC CA dept's have and use.

Even if no ticket/arrest/written warning, etc was issued to you, police officers are under so much scrutiny these days, from all sides, that they really can't let/risk anything but the most innocent of public encounters going undocumented.

Just to be safe though you may want to give your personal attorney a call and let him know what happened, and see from him/her if he thinks you should speak with a criminal defense attorney, to see if there is any possibility that any criminal charges or ticketable violations could be filed on you after the fact at a later date...happens all the time.

As was already mentioned, I hope this will not come back to bite you, though by this point, I highly doubt it will.
    Last edited by Sarah V; 11-30-2015 at 12:24 AM.

Sarah[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

"Sport is for men.......But Ballet is for women" ---- George Balenchine