Thread: My first shopping experience alone

My first shopping experience alone

I know this isn't all that special, but I have the habit of taking my friend with me when I go shopping for Stefani so that I have a woman there to take the heat off of me while I buy me pretty things. Today when I went to Walmart to buy a pair of channel locks, I walked through the women's department just to see what they had, and I found a cool blouse. Not caring what anyone thought, I found the one I wanted, took it up front, and bought it. The cashier kinda looked at me funny, but I roundly ignored her, paid, and left. I'm wearing it now and I love it! Now I need to work up the courage to go and buy myself a new wig. This one I have is a little shoddy.
    stefanilara.wordpress.com
    A Girl in disguise

Congrats!!

Good for you Stef !!! It's about time you got a new pair of channel locks.. after all you don't want anyone stealing those channels.
    No really good for you and I'm sure the cashier didn't give it a second thought. Enjoy your prize.
    When I am still and quiet, people who do not know me think, Oh how cute she's shy.
    People who do know me think, OMG RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

Stef, all those cashiers care about is....is it time for me to go home or in the least...take a break ? Many times I will ask them do they think this will look good on me, or is this my right color ?

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Congrats on the new blouse!!!
    The cashiers have seen it all so don't worry.

Congrats!
    I'm a nice Jewish girl.

I'm not a girl, Not yet a woman.

Those channel-locks will come in handy opening a stuck bottle of nail polish, this I know from experience.

Aspiring Member
    Good job, don't worry about the looks they give you we've all been there. Best of luck to you

The price of the blouse probably paid for an hour or two of her salary. Any sales associate should keep that in mind.

Stefani,
    Wigs are easy, just go into a salon and say it is for you.
    They will go the extra mile to get it right for you.

As for early forays into the ladies department, seem like swimming in shark infested waters until you realise the sharks don't come.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I work retail, and at one time I was the manager over the front end. Trust me, cashiers talk. Otherwise, I don't really care. I'll get used to it and move on. As for the wig, I live in a rather insular community in the bible belt. I'm probably fretting over nothing, but I'm a big worrier.
    stefanilara.wordpress.com
    A Girl in disguise

Well done Stef. I feel I've become a mistress for excuses when buying things from shops in the past but have become less worried over the years about what others think. Go for it!

Aly
    Getting to know myself in a dress and heels again!

As for early forays into the ladies department, seem like swimming in shark infested waters until you realise the sharks don't come.
    I would have to say which store it is. In Macy's or Kohl's I'll get the stink eyes. But at the mega discount mart, for me Bj's, they don't seem to care. Then again it depends upon your attitude. Recently my coworker and I were heading to the cafeteria for lunch. His wife stopped us and asked him if he was working later on a side job. She needs to go to the mall to get a gift at VS and has a coupon. He said he would be home by 7 and we'll go then. After lunch he called her and said he could pick up what she needs on the way home. Do you have the coupon, do you know what you want to get? Ok, I'll stop by and get it. Not a care, it wasn't for him.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Stephani,

Congrats! As time goes on and you push the boundaries outward a little at a time, you confidence will grow. Always forward.

Cheers

Marcelle

I've been buying my own pantyhose since I was 13. At 18 when I first dressed for a party, I went with my GF to help buy my clothes. I was an expert on pantyhose, but dresses, shoes, wigs, makeup, bras I knew little to nothing about. After the success of that party and I got invited to others, I bought lots more clothing, always in guy mode. I really began expanding my wardrobe and dressed everyday trying to get that perfect look I was seeking..

I never had a bad or unsettling experience. In fact occasionally I got complimented on having good taste. I really didn't pay any attention to whether they thought I was buying the clothes for myself or someone else.

You go girl!

I'm wishing to be her SANDRA MICHELLE's Avatar
    Good for you, next step is to actually go into the fitting rooms and try the clothes on. You'll get there some day. I never buy any clothes without trying them on first to see how it fits or looks on me. No sales person has ever given me any hard time on this.
    I want to be this girl!

Go you Stefanilara!

It can be pretty nerve wracking. I used to get really nervous and self conscious and would do something stupid and clumsy when I would get to the till but over time I care less and less, for all the cashier knows you could be buying it for someone else. They are prob never going to see you ever again and I would guess most of them could care less. It get's easier the more you do it just like anything else.

Stef, I beg to differ with you about not being too special. What you did was a step of success in the right direction and for that I commend you for a special event that may seem minor to some, but they havent been in our shoes and gone to the store to buy womens things for ourselves as a crossdresser. It takes a lot of nerve to go through with shopping for yourself by yourself especially if you are in drab mode. I always shop in drab mode and have after years of shopping gotten to the point that I love it when a SA asks if they can help or do I know the size that I need. I am always up front and tell them that I am shopping for myself and thank them for the offer to help me. I just love the reaction and adore the attention that most of them give me. To the ones that shy away with fingers in a cross I just say too bad you have missed a sale and maybe a friendly conversation. Dont let nerves or what others say keep you from your goals. Shop, Shop, Shop and have a great time.